Top Shelf Aquatics

Incredible home tank size

H7brandi

I was taunted over to *ahem* RC to take a look at the TOTM. My jaw dropped and after being lured in to read the intro to the tank, I just had to read the linked thread along with the third thread linked to that. My goodness...I can't imagine the planning, set-up and maintenance for something like that. 17,000 gallons.

Trying to put this into perspective...12168 gallons is the current tally on NR.com members tanks (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136755&st=240&start=240)

Come on guys... we can do better than that!

supreme_spork

brandi, you added an extra zero on there... display tank size is 1600 gallons.

still wickedly impressive, but kind of a different beast. :P

brandi, you added an extra zero on there... display tank size is 1600 gallons.

still wickedly impressive, but kind of a different beast. :P

OH DOH! :slap: I guess it was unbelievable..hence my action to search out our combined total. I guess that is what 30 mins of reading will do to you...now I have to go through it all again to find who in those threads made the same mistakes. Ok...now how do I delete this mistake?

Thanks supreme_spork!

supreme_spork
OH DOH! :slap: I guess it was unbelievable..hence my action to search out our combined total. I guess that is what 30 mins of reading will do to you...now I have to go through it all again to find who in those threads made the same mistakes. Ok...now how do I delete this mistake?Thanks supreme_spork!

i say leave it as-is -- it's attention-getting! B)

i wanna see this beastmind givin a link?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/totm/index.php

uhh, wow.

Love to know the operating costs of something like that.

It is listed in one of the threads....since I already messed up once, I won't qoute...but I think it was around $350 for electric and $75 for water. He doesn't mention total cost as I'm sure 14 halides, ro/di filters, supplements, salt, etc would really add up also. But it's probably insignificant for someone who can build on 2400 sq ft for a tank room.

tkotm on RC is really awesome, but that neatherlands one is way way way better. Coolest one i have ever seen. And as far as W/C goes, i think they don't do them. With all of those reactors and what not, the system should provide minerals and whatever by itself. But imagine if the power went out for like a day. The whole tank would be almost gone, i think. I estimated bulb costs for 5 years with a bulb lasting every year, and at $75 a pop plus the $350 (at least) for actinics, the total is $5300. Now wouldn't it be better to buy like 2 or 4 solaris's? Save on electricity and have no heat and full control.

HecticDialectics

I use to think... you know... an aquarium past a certain size is rediculous and pointless, cause there's so much stuff it turns insignificant...

That tank up'ed my gallon-consideration for that mark from around 800g to 2500g :o:P

The shark-tank thread on Monster Fishkeepers had my skeptical friend going "Dude, that'd be a hellaciously awesome tank!"

Resistence is futile! YOU WILL BE REEFIN'!

H7brandi, you realize you can edit the title to reflect the right size, right?

Thanks, Scott. I've seen topics change and didn't know how. Got it figured out now though.

Archived