Pod Your Reef

Coral, Anemone, Tube Worm?

xbwolfx

I have two of these hitch hikers that look like feather duster type things, I don't really know how to explain them. I'm assuming it is a filter feeder because each "arm" or "tentacle" takes turns pulling food to the center mouth...but it only does so one tentacle at a time. Also, it sometimes retracts fully into the rock. Know what it is?

unknownhitchhiker004.jpg

unknownhitchhiker003.jpg

The only reason it wouldnt be good is if it were stinging or killing another coral.

Personally I think it looks cool, and I would keep it, if you can keep it alive.

I swear that looks like feeding tenticles from a Sea cucumber.

But I doubt it as seeing it came in as hitchiker...

bump...

Izzue

+1 it certainly does.

The only reason it wouldnt be good is if it were stinging or killing another coral.

Personally I think it looks cool, and I would keep it, if you can keep it alive.

If it is one of the anemones I listed, apparently they are one of the few anemones that can actually inflict pain on humans with their stings. Definitely going to keep my hands away from that thing.

If it is one of the anemones I listed, apparently they are one of the few anemones that can actually inflict pain on humans with their stings. Definitely going to keep my hands away from that thing.

Well, before you rule out touching it, hear me out!

Simple experiment to figure out if it is that anemone.

Step one: Place hand in aquarium

Step two: Face the back of your hand towards the tentacles

Step three: Gently move the back of your hand towards the tentacles until contact is made

Step four: Watch carefully to see how 'unknown creature' reacts. Also take note of any signs of pain inflicted

Step five: To conclude if it is one of the anemone species you described, simply tell us how much it hurt to touch it (if at all). If it didn't cause pain, I think it is possibly not one of the anemones you described.

:P

I would touch it if I was there!

Honestly even if it does sting, be a man! I got stung by a lion... it wasn't that bad - I found getting stung by half a dozen wasps 50 times was worse. ;) I guess my point is, it will just be another thing you experienced in your life that you can talk about surviving lol...

It is DEFINITELY a filter feeding cucumber. No question. I have several that rode in on my rock. Leave it be, it will move to happy spot if it isn't happy where it is. The behavior you described along with the photo leave me absolutely no doubt as to the ID. It is a harmless addition. If you are lucky, it may divide in your tank, as some species of holothurids are known to do. If you touch it, it will just pull all its feeding appendages in.

It is DEFINITELY a filter feeding cucumber. No question. I have several that rode in on my rock. Leave it be, it will move to happy spot if it isn't happy where it is. The behavior you described along with the photo leave me absolutely no doubt as to the ID. It is a harmless addition. If you are lucky, it may divide in your tank, as some species of holothurids are known to do. If you touch it, it will just pull all its feeding appendages in.

Damn man, you ruined our fun!

I was hoping to get them to touch it expecting some sort of horrible pain... :P

HAHAHAHAHA

You sick bastard.

I could picture them pacing back and forth in front of the tank thinking "Ok, should I touch it? I don't know, what if it hurts? but I want to know what it is! *sigh* ok I got to do this... You can do it, come on now! Just reach in the tank and brush against it. Maybe if I do it real fast then it wont hurt so much... Why am I thinking about pain, I'm tough! I can take it! YEAH! I got this! Yeah man I am freaking PUMPED! Alright! ONE, TWO THREEEE!"

Then after touching it...

"Oh, well... that wasn't so bad at all"

LoL :P

I was wrong....it is definitely a cucumber....actually, two cucumbers. Will these things ever come out of the rock and start moving around the tank, or do they just sit there like feather dusters? If they die, will they release any toxins that would harm my coral/fish? Thanks everyone!

I was wrong....it is definitely a cucumber....actually, two cucumbers. Will these things ever come out of the rock and start moving around the tank, or do they just sit there like feather dusters? If they die, will they release any toxins that would harm my coral/fish? Thanks everyone!

The type you have generally keeps its body hidden within the rock and extends its feeding appendages into the water column to feed, as you have seen. They really won't go anywhere if they are happy where they are, but can move if they are unhappy where they are. You could consider them to be roughly analogous to feather dusters, in the sense that they are sedentary filter feeders, except that these guys can relocate if they need to. Whatever you do, don't try to force it to move; You are more likely to kill it by trying than to actually get it to move. They respond to poking and prodding by digging in to the rock deeper rather than running away.

Some types of holothurids can release toxins into the water if they die, but such is the exception rather than the rule, particularly with cryptic species such as yours. Plus, they are very hardy. If one should die, I wouldn't worry so much about poisonous secretions as I would about the potential ammonia spike, just as you would with any dead animal in the tank. Regardless, if you keep your water quality stable, it will not likely die.

I have at least three of these in my tank that rode in on the rock, and several more that have resulted from the original hitchikers dividing. All of them are in places that are very hard to see. I think they prefer to stay hidden for the most part. Sometimes they will pull in their feeding appendages for days on end. Don't worry, that's normal too. If you put some phyto in the tank, they will open up, in a hurry.

Enjoy your little hitchers, they are very cool!

^^^ Thanks! Ok, so far I am doing good with my hitchhikers from this new rock. I have found a porcelain crab, two sea cucumbers, and about 2-3 decent-sized bright orange sponges. Also, great coraline growth. So far no pests. I have seen 2 possible eunicid worms (as evidenced by their "homes" built from rubble and mucous), but they are so small that I am not gonna worry too much - and I see them everynight, so I know if removal is necessary it is feasible. I'm pretty sure I would notice if the eunicids get huge too, seeing as how my tank is only 12g.

^^^ Thanks! Ok, so far I am doing good with my hitchhikers from this new rock. I have found a porcelain crab, two sea cucumbers, and about 2-3 decent-sized bright orange sponges. Also, great coraline growth. So far no pests. I have seen 2 possible eunicid worms (as evidenced by their "homes" built from rubble and mucous), but they are so small that I am not gonna worry too much - and I see them everynight, so I know if removal is necessary it is feasible. I'm pretty sure I would notice if the eunicids get huge too, seeing as how my tank is only 12g.

What region is that LR from?

Not that you should worry about the worms, but you would be surprised at how well absolutely huge Eunicid worms can hide in small spaces. If they camp out where you can see them, thats good, that way you can keep an eye one them. But don't underestimate how well very large things can hide in very small spaces in reef tanks.

^^Very true, I had a foot long one living in a small piece of live rock in my 2.5 gallon. Try catching a worm that can reach all sides of the tank, nope, he just moved the trap closer to enjoy his dinner.

Thats what Im talking about...

Man you got some good LIVerock...keep your eye out and start keeping up

with all your chems to make sure yu can save all thats there.

If you like macro algae...make sure you are keeping a nice light cycle to

give them a booost...

Enjoy.

Izzue

What region is that LR from?

Cincinnati, Ohio......lol. I'm not really sure. I upgraded from a BC8 to an AP12 recently and I just needed a few pieces to fill in the empty spaces. An area LFS has two large tanks with pieces of this rock evenly spaced (no stacking) for excellent water flow and plenty of light exposure...unlike most LFS who merely pile as much rock as they can get into a tank. I have been eyeing this rock for a while and it has interested me b/c they showcase the rock as if it is show pieces of coral. They don't seem to sell much of it b/c I think its mainly for people who would like to add a few really nice pieces to their tanks (at $10/pound, stocking even a nano would be rough on the wallet). I will try to add some pics of the rock soon (just added phyto so it is cloudy right now)....but my 14000K halide bulb doesn't do this stuff justice compared to the LFS's actinic VHO's.

Almost all of the rock is filled with hitch hiker coral (I have seen zoas, softies, LPS, and SPS on some pieces), sponges, and tons of critters.....also tons of macro, especially halimeda. I was careful to pic my rock though and unfortunately a lot of the rock with coral hitch hikers also had some unwanted pests like aptasia, etc... Although none of the 3 rocks I chose had coral attached, I am happy with my selections b/c I haven't found any real pests yet (except possibly a few eunicids).

The tank is definitely going through a mini-cycle right now b/c the algae has been a pain the past week...hopefully it will die down soon. Here are some quick pics I just took of the rock...the new stuff is everything to the right of the frogspawn. I messed the rock up a little the other day by using some epoxy on it (stupid me...I hate that stuff). I moved nearly all of my zoas to the new rock, hoping to grow a zoa garden, but I almost don't want to cover the rocks up I like them so much. Take notice of the awesome bright orange sponges covering some of the nooks and crannies...I love them and hope they don't die off (doing well so far).

Pics:

rocks002.jpg

rocks006.jpg

rocks005.jpg

rocks019.jpg

rocks020.jpg

rocks010.jpg

rocks017.jpg

Archived