ReefCleaners.org

Please Id this sps

controlsreefer

controlsreefer

i was given for what i thought is a Green Jeweled Finger Coral (porites) but i have been looking at someone elses and mine seems to have a little to big of polyps. the coral is doing great i have had it for almost a year now and its grow quite a bit and sprouted mulitple polyps. so if any of you guys have any ideas of what this thing is it would be great

post-32835-1198948509_thumb.jpg

It looks kind of like a branching Goniopora or Alveopora. It is definitely a poritid, i.e., a member of the family that includes porites, goniopora, and alveopora. Does it ever extend the polyps further than in the image you linked? How large are the polyps? I couldn't find a good enough size reference in the photo to tell for sure.

If you can, count the tentacles at the end of each polyp. Alveopora has 12 tentacles per polyp, Goniopora 24. This doesn't neccessarily determine the genus for sure, but it is a clue.

- Josh

P.S., here is another pic of a strange poritid, living in my tank. Its not entirely dissimilar to yours, and I am fairly certain the one I have is some obscure species of Goniopora.

IMG_0452.jpg

controlsreefer

it looks to have about 24 tentacles per polyp. they are about 1/8" wide and they extented less than a 1/4". well what ever it is going great

it looks to have about 24 tentacles per polyp. they are about 1/8" wide and they extented less than a 1/4". well what ever it is going great

In that case you probably have a Goniopora. This genus, as you may be aware, is notorious for crashing out at about the 1-2 year mark.

Check here for tons of information about Gonipora care: http://www.goniopora.org/

- Josh

controlsreefer

i previously had a flower pot but it died ( along with 80% of my tank) when i went on vacation 2 years ago when i had timer go out and it fried the tank because 2 250 watt hqi on for 8 day straight. so i guess i will see how this one turns out it will be 1 year in mid january

I first thought they were goniopora, I am having doubts.....now that I am looking closer at the photo...

it has the nice dome of a goni, but when que'ing through goniopora.org, I dunno, seem too short on the stock lengths, most goni come out at least an inch from what I have read in the past... :huh:

I have 2 Goniopora, and they scared me to death once I read how hard they are to keep alive, One year is the average. One was a friends that was dying, I have it recovering now, and another I got at LFS, and it seems to be thriving nicely...

Yeah regular feeding seems key. I used to have a hitcher goni that was an encruster that never had tentacles extend more than 1/2 an inch.

Archived