Top Shelf Aquatics

COST EFFECTIVE DIY ADDITIVES FOR YOUR REEF !

The Propagator

The Propagator

In this thread I will posting detailed instructions on how to make your own inexpensive, suitable and effective alternative means to supply your reef with the proper nutrients and supplements it needs with out breaking the bank ! ( Most all will be copy and paste with source links)I don't know about you but I am tired of paying $$ every couple weeks for named brand items that can be formulated easily at home for less than half the cost of name brand store bought supplements.On average I spend around $100.00 or more on supplements for my reefs. Wouldn't it would be nice if we could free that up by making them in bulk that will last 3-4 months for half the price of one store bought item?Together we are going to find out how we can do just that safely and efficiently !Please do not litter this thread with argumentative comments or anything like that. If this goes over well I think it will have GREAT "sticky" potential and will be placed in an easy to find spot for others to see and use. If you have any questions or comments please keep them limited to the subject at hand involving the usage and making of these items. :)

2 part calcium and alkalinity solution.

Recipe #1 is for use in aquaria where the pH is normal to low. It will have a pH raising effect due to the elevated pH of the alkalinity part, as do most of the commercial two-part additives. The rise that you get will depend on the alkalinity in your aquarium, and, of course, on how much you add. If you add on the order of 0.5 meq/l of alkalinity then the pH will rise about 0.15 to 0.35 pH units immediately upon addition (and higher locally before it has a chance to mix into the whole aquarium).So if you are using limewater (kalkwasser) and the aquarium runs at pH 8.4 or above, this recipe is not the best choice. Otherwise, it is likely to be a good option.

Recipe #2 is for use in aquaria where the pH is on the high side (above 8.3 or so). It will have a very small pH lowering effect when initially added. The drop that you get will depend on the alkalinity in your aquarium, and, of course, on how much you add. If you add on the order of 0.5 meq/l of alkalinity then the pH will drop by about 0.04 pH units immediately upon addition. The pH may later rise if the aquarium is permitted to blow off excess CO2. This recipe is half as concentrated as Recipe #1.

Source: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

Recipe #1

In this recipe you make 3 stock solutions. Two are used frequently, and one is only used occasionally to balance things out.You can mix and store the solutions in any all-plastic or glass container. Plastic 1-gallon milk cartons (typically made of HDPE, high density polyethylene) can be a good choice.

Part 1: Calcium

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (Such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill to the top with more fresh water. This solution is then about 37,000 ppm in calcium.If you use an anhydrous calcium chloride (such as Kent's Turbo Calcium or Peladow Calcium Chloride (a brand sold by Dow that some believe may just be a dehydrated equivalent of the Dowflake), then you should use about 20% (1/5) less solid calcium chloride to make the recipe. Note that the solution will get quite hot when dissolved anhydrous calcium chloride.

Part 2: Alkalinity

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300 °F for 1 hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds the dissolution process. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice.

Part 3: Magnesium Sulfate

Dissolve a 64 ounce container of Epsom salts (about 8 cups) in enough purified fresh water to make 1 gallon total volume. This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of the Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably in a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I'd suggest adding it slowly; especially the first time you do so to make sure that corals don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of magnesium, sulfate, or any impurities in your Epsom Salts. The first time that you add it, you might add a small portion and make sure there isn't any problem before proceeding to add the remainder. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium and 187,000 ppm sulfate.

The Propagator

Recipe #2

In this recipe you make 3 stock solutions. Two are used frequently, and one is only used occasionally to balance things out. You can mix and store the solutions in any all plastic or glass container. Plastic 1-gallon milk cartons (typically made of HDPE, high density polyethylene) can be a good choice.

Part 1: Calcium

Dissolve 250 grams (about 1 ¼ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (Such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill to the top with more fresh water. This solution is then about 18,500 ppm in calcium.

If you use an anhydrous calcium chloride (such as Kent's Turbo Calcium or Peladow Calcium Chloride (a brand sold by Dow that some believe may just be a dehydrated equivalent of the Dowflake), then you should use about 20% (1/5) less solid calcium chloride to make the recipe. Note that the solution will get quite hot when dissolved anhydrous calcium chloride.

Part 2: Alkalinity

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds the dissolution process. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice of baking soda brand.

These two solutions are added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. In some light to medium demand aquaria, you may not need daily additions, especially for calcium. Nevertheless, unless testing shows that you should do otherwise, add equal amounts of Parts 1 and 2 over the course of a week.

Part 3: Magnesium

Dissolve a 64 ounce container of Epsom salts (about 8 cups) in enough purified fresh water to make 1 gallon total volume. This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of the Recipe #1, add 305 mL (1 ¼ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably in a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I'd suggest adding it slowly; especially the first time you do so to make sure that corals don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of magnesium, sulfate, or any impurities in your Epsom Salts. The first time that you add it, you might add a small portion and make sure there isn't any problem before proceeding to add the remainder. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium and 187,000 ppm sulfate.

I am in the process of finding suitable Iodine, Iron, Strontium, and Molybdenum DIY formulas.

Look for those as I find them in the coming days/weeks.

The Propagator

PHTYOPLANKTON REARING STATION

I found these images of what look to be nothing more than modified 5 gallon buckets.

It looks as if the maker simply cut a hole low in the side of the bucket and installed an incandescent light.

( easy enough )

phyto%20culturing.jpg

There are actually two holes in the lids on those 2 liter bottles. One with a piece of rigid air tubbing running through it and another smaller one right beside it to act as a pressure relief as the air is pumped in.

The light stays on at least

I only did one 2 liter bottle but you can do as many as you like as shown in the photo.

One two liter bottle will last most of us a long time as long as you keep it in the frig and shake it up frequently.

I suggest sharing it with friends though. :)

I have not been able to find out very much about it aside from that photo and this link:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/breeder.htm

I have not fully read that website yet so I have no idea if it includes what fertilizer to use. how long to culture it.. etc etc.... any one who knows feel free to chime in with it ! :)

Since there are many softie tanks out there, let me jump in and add the following recipe for iodide...

19 grams Potassium Iodide (KI) to 64 ounces of water yeilds a 1% solution

The potassium iodide is available in crystal form from eBay.

Tks, prop, I make 2-part additives from twopartsoluton.com. What it cost me to buy one part of b-ionic I can make 6gal of cal, mg, and alk.

I do need to start making my own phyto. You can get starter cultures from www.floridaquafarms.com.

Thanks Prop. I have been looking for a good Mg recipe.

If you utilize his Mg recipe, ensure you are religious with your water changes, as the sulfate will build up in the tank.

RHF's revised recipe has the epsom salts mixed with magnesium chloride to reduce the impact of the sulfate of the system. I think most reefers prefer this method to using only epsom salts.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

kalkwasser:

Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime

mrswages_1857_1957670.gif

I got a giant a$$ jar like the one in the picture at the end of the summer at walmart for about $3.

I mix 1 tsp with 1 gal in a bucket above the sump. Add drip line and airstone...I turn the airstone ON, let mix overnight. I then cut a small piece of coffee filter, rubber band it to the end of my drip in the kalk, and...

Presto change-o, I have a kalk drip.

The general rule of thumb for mixing kalkwasser is one teaspoon of kalk powder per gallon of water. Fill about 1/3 of the container with RO/DI water and add the kalk. Swirl it around until it's in suspension, then add the rest of the water and cap the container. Be careful with this part, as kalk can be an irritant if it gets onto your skin. I usually mix the kalk in the evening and set the container in place without starting a drip. The next morning it takes just a few seconds to start the siphon and set the drip rate. The proper drip rate depends upon your setup and the water volume of your system. For my small tanks, about one drip per second is slow enough not to cause sudden pH fluctuations and still get the kalk in the tank; obviously, larger tanks can handle faster additions of kalk.

Source: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

I found these images of what look to be nothing more than modified 5 gallon buckets.

It looks as if the maker simply cut a hole low in the side of the bucket and installed an incandescent light.

( easy enough )

phyto%20culturing.jpg

There are actually two holes in the lids on those 2 liter bottles. One with a piece of rigid air tubbing running through it and another smaller one right beside it to act as a pressure relief as the air is pumped in.

I only did one 2 liter bottle but you can do as many as you like as shown in the photo.

One two liter bottle will last most of us a long time as long as you keep it in the frig and shake it up frequently.

I have not been able to find out very much about it aside from that photo and this link:

I have not fully read that website yet so I have no idea if it includes what fertilizer to use. how long to culture it.. etc etc.... any one who knows feel free to chime in with it ! :)

i have something like that for my fresh water tank(planted)

There fixed that for ya !!!

:D

Only playing Dae ;)

:slap:

:naughtydance:

:haha:

:grouphug:

Ya Ive had to much skimmate...LOL

Izzue

Prop that article does tell what equipment and fertilizer to use for the phytoplankton. florida aqua farms sells the start algae culture and f/2 fert to get you started.

• 6 months later...

( easy enough )

phyto%20culturing.jpg

I must be continueously missing this, if the phyto stations contain salt, when you add that to your tank, do you add it as part of a water change? How does that work so you don't influence the salinity of a person's tank?

• 5 months later...

i dunno, i can pay $32 to get a gallon each of ESV B-Ionic and that lasts me a good 6mos to a year, has all the trace stuff and works really well.....and be done with it...

my brother in law tried all sorts of mixing his own and he was always struggling with it.....i cant see it..

and kalk does nothing for trace and assumes the tank is already balanced as far as calcium and alkalinity goes....have also seen bad alkalinity issues using kalk

Rots are almost the same as phyto. use the phyto to feed them. you need a starter culture like ones at floridaaquafarms.com. Keep the phyto and rotifier culture separated. Same prinicple as the phytoculture setup air pump, container, light

Rots are almost the same as phyto. use the phyto to feed them. you need a starter culture like ones at floridaaquafarms.com. Keep the phyto and rotifier culture separated. Same prinicple as the phytoculture setup air pump, container, light

:angry: Now how am I supposed to pick on Prop?

:lol:

is there a general rule on how much...say 10mL of recipe 1 calc... would raise 1 gal of water?

just to give me a ball park # on how much i need to add to my tank without adding too much or too little.

Archived