Pod Your Reef

a small SPS mirical in my tank

filefish949

I should have taken photos 2 weeks ago, every tip on this tricolor had algae growth on it, 4 weeks ago there was no color, no PE, it looked as if it had completely RTNed like so many of my other acros had that day. if it recovered I figured that I would have 30 1/2 inch frags to fix it, but it appears to be recovering, I will chronicle progress

here you can see various stages of tip recovery

img0847ta8.jpg

a closeup of one of the worst ones

img0848gg5.jpg

every tip in this photo had brown algae on it 2 weeks ago

img0850cx8.jpg

here is my prized lime in the sky. it was literally being dropped in the trash 4 weeks ago as it looked completely RTN you can see the shoot in the background, as well as about 80% of it did not make it. as I was dropping it in the trash, I caught a whiff of "live acro" smell and said screw it, and it went back in the tank, until 10 days ago, the only hint of life on the corral was a conspicuous lack of algae on portions of it

img0853di0.jpg

I did a little dance for your corals. Here's hoping they keep on the road to recovery!

well please keep up your happy dance, you can see noticeable improvement in the last 4 days the center tip has closed over the algae by 50% as has the small triangle of algae in the foreground

img0894gn7.jpg

this one is holding steady, and getting a bit of color, once it starts encrusting at the edges of live tissue, then out will come the clippers, at this point it is just too bleached to make a determination as to where

img0886ug5.jpg

here is a remarkable recovery, i got it just after RAP for a song, it was all brown like a lunch bag, when the tank crashed, the "berries" had started to green on me and the fur had started to purple, then within 72 hours WHITE! now i think I am going to give it an exotic name like "blue tipped alain berry LTD" and sell it for $65/inch LOL

img0892vg6.jpg

well the front one is all healed over with full PE, even the small triangle of algae is gone the center one will have PE in a few days, the one on the right I clipped to give a leg up

img0949mi0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
How did you stop your SPS from RTNing?

I found out what the cause of the STN / RTN was and fixed it. now you can see a full recovery

img1212vy3.jpg

With what you are seeing in recovery so far I would put the clippers away and give them some time. Corals have amazing regenerative abilities and you may continue to be surprised. I did not see anything in these pictures that would cause me to clip.

JMO

thanks! if you look at the big dead tip covered in alage on the right of this pic, the only thing I clipped were about a half dozzen of those off

img0894gn7.jpg

very high chromium and nickel levels, fixed it with lots of water changes ~ 150% over 4 days and GFO does a good job of pulling metal out. the water changes caused some of tne STN/RTN imo but was nesessary to save the tank

very high chromium and nickel levels, fixed it with lots of water changes ~ 150% over 4 days and GFO does a good job of pulling metal out. the water changes caused some of tne STN/RTN imo but was nesessary to save the tank

How did you figure that out? How did they get in there?

How did you figure that out? How did they get in there?

i had a LED moon light in the tank while I was at work, the DC voltage disolved all the metal off the connectors over a few hours

img0607go9.jpg

• 2 months later...
filefish949

it is now growing quite nicely and coloring up as well, the tips are far more purple and the body is a far lighter green than the photo shows

img1689qz0.jpg

Archived