Top Shelf Aquatics

****Updated info on New Cad 39G Tank****

RaSooch

Hello all,

I have been in the market for a new system for a while now because I am runnig out of space for coral growth in my little 14g BC. I have been toying with 4 options so far to hold me over until I am ready to start my 200g built in wall tank that I dream of owning one day. fingerscrossed

- Nanotuners HQI RedSea MAX

- Current USA Solana

- Nanotuners HQI w/pc upgrade to JBJ Nano

- Cadligthing 34g Signature Series

To make a long story short. I called cadlights to find out some info about the 34G and found out that they have been out of stock since the end of October. I was then told that they are actually starting the build of their newest and largest all-in-one system early in January of '08. A 39G all-in-one with better lighting, newer protein skimmer and the same clean lines that just draws almost everyone to appreciate the tank. They plan on taking pre-orders next month. omgomgomg

So now my choice of tank is strongly leaning toward the cadlights tank. I know many people have had horror sotries about the shipping damages but lucky for me I live 45 mins from their shop so I won't have to go through that. :D

Has anyone here switched from either a BC / NC to a cadlights system?

Is there anyone here that is currently running any of the tanks mentioned above with the upgrades?

Any feed back (pros/cons) would be appreciated.

hey Ra

i have a 34G signature series and so far i love it. i knew they were making it a bit bigger but i didnt know it was a 39G tank wow. did you get on the pre-order list yet? i called them and Eddie said they were not taking pre-orders yet until January.

this is my first tank so i cant help you with the comparisons, but on choosing this tank many of the people i asked have had other smaller Nanos and they liked the Cad tanks better. thanks for getting some updated info on these tanks.

They haven't come out with the actual cost yet but Eddie at Cadlights did say it would be slightly more than the 34g signature series. What slightly more means to them and us could be a world of difference.

Hey Bear,

Thanks for the feedback, you got yourself a really nice system there. Are you having any temp issues? Do you run a chiller? Any problems at all going hoodless? Thanks again.

I don't have any other info at this time, but if someone else does please let us know.

hey Rasooch, thanks!

i had the HQi and the cooling fan on the same timer and when the hqi turns on the fan turns on with it. the problem ihad was that the cooling fan cooled the water too much and the tank stays at around 73 degrees by the end of the HQI light cycle. so i had to get a separate timer for the cooling fan which so far i leave at 1 hour when the HQI turns on and 1 hour at the end of the light cycle. once the light is off, the tank pretty much stays at 75 degrees.

it came with the cover but i dont use it at all. the tank looks much better as opened top and also the canopy is quite awkward.

the problem ihad was that the cooling fan cooled the water too much and the tank stays at around 73 degrees by the end of the HQI light cycle.

it came with the cover but i dont use it at all. the tank looks much better as opened top and also the canopy is quite awkward.

Is the fan loud since it cools so well?

Sorry for all the questions.

Seeing that the hood they provide is awkward and I am not really into the modern look, I am actually waiting for the exact dimensions so I can start designing a custom stand and hood that I am going to try and tackle on my own. I may also use the pendant that I purchased from Oogie close to a year ago before he moved.[/img]

[/img]

Thanks

post-23197-1197404539_thumb.jpg

post-23197-1197404551_thumb.jpg

post-23197-1197405237_thumb.jpg

Is the fan loud since it cools so well?

Sorry for all the questions.

Seeing that the hood they provide is awkward and I am not really into the modern look, I am actually waiting for the exact dimensions so I can start designing a custom stand and hood that I am going to try and tackle on my own. I may also use the pendant that I purchased from Oogie close to a year ago before he moved.[/img]

[/img]

Thanks

Wow, you are the one who bought that light from Oogie. Great pick up bro. That's awsome custome light fixture. BTW, I think that light fixture is much better on cube tank. If I were you, I would go with Solana Tank. You can buy tank only. And have that light fixture on that tank, it will be sick!!!

the fan is not to bad but you can notice it when it is on. it makes somewhat of a humming sound like the ballast. it weird but at certain angle it makes more wind sounds. thats a really cool light, the reflectors are mind boggling hahaha it almost gave me a headache.

sorry for being dumb but i thought oogie was a brand and googled it but found nothing lol.

Wow, you are the one who bought that light from Oogie. Great pick up bro. That's awsome custome light fixture. BTW, I think that light fixture is much better on cube tank. If I were you, I would go with Solana Tank. You can buy tank only. And have that light fixture on that tank, it will be sick!!!

I thought of the same thing, but in order for me to get my tank in the room I want it in I have to make a compromise with the boss woman. But nothing is definite yet.

Hey bear,

I should have been more clear; Oogie is a fellow Nano-Reefer who builds his own tanks/stands/lighing/sumps and does an incredible job with them. He moved last winter and broke down his entire system and posted a sale for his equipment. I was lucky enough to get a great deal on his light fixture that he built. You can find his old and current tank tread if you search for his name in the forum section. It is definitely worth a look.

enjoy!

I thought of the same thing, but in order for me to get my tank in the room I want it in I have to make a compromise with the boss woman. But nothing is definite yet.

I've seen both tanks, cadlights and solara. I think Cadlights has really good tank however I have issue with other cheap equipment. Solana is also great looking cube tank. And I really like their filtration. Obviously, you have one of the best light in your hand. Cadlights sells for bundle but Solana you can get tank only. And Cadlights tank is long and Solana tank is cube. Your light is definately designed for cube tank.

If I were you, I would just get the oceanic cube tank like Oogie did. I think that is the cheapest way to go. However, if you get the AIO, it's much easier to setup I guess and easy on your eye.

I've seen both tanks, cadlights and solara. I think Cadlights has really good tank however I have issue with other cheap equipment. Solara is also great looking cube tank. And I really like their filtration. Obviously, you have one of the best light in your hand. Cadlights sells for bundle but Solara you can get tank only. And Cadlights tank is long and Solara tank is cube. Your light is definately designed for cube tank.

If I were you, I would just get the oceanic cube tank like Oogie did. I think that is the cheapest way to go. However, if you get the AIO, it's much easier to setup I guess and easy on your eye.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the light fixture is designed for a cube tank; I am definitely not as handy as oogie is and I have concerns with going topless, not only for the tank and it's inhabitants sake but also for all the little hands that are are too curious to stop themsleves from seeing what happens when...etc.

So my brother-in-law; who is a cabinet builder will be helping me build the stand and matching hood which I promise will look really nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the light fixture is designed for a cube tank; I am definitely not as handy as oogie is and I have concerns with going topless, not only for the tank and it's inhabitants sake but also for all the little hands that are are too curious to stop themsleves from seeing what happens when...etc.

So my brother-in-law; who is a cabinet builder will be helping me build the stand and matching hood which I promise will look really nice.

No worry on topless system, I believe solana comes with glass top. Nothing will jump out from there.

So I just got some more info from Eddie at Cadlighting.

The tank dimensions are 24 x 20 x 20. The tank will be equiped with the same lighting configuration as the 34G but with better reflectors. It will also be equipped with a 500gph pump.

The skimmer will be modified with a new air injection design which Eddie said that it is very similar to the Turbo Floater Skimmer. The skimmer will provide 60% air to 40% water ratio. And he said the tank is garuanteed to have no micro bubbles in the display.

And just like the 34G signature series it will also have the UV sterilizer.

Also Eddie told me if you pre-pre order now before the jan 10th date you can lock into the same price as the 34G signature series. So I would be able to get the system for $694 minus the lighting of $235 = $459 total

I think I might do this.

NICE stuff wow i just cant believe he built that light himself. theres just so much power going through there that makes me nervous. thanks for clearing it up though.

one of my choices was a Solana tank also, but i just like the look of the Cadlights seamless style. but i am still comparing the 2 since i have time before Cad's pre-order time.

wow the Cad tank with a custom wood cabinet and hood will look awesome, you're so lucky you got someone that can build you one. i priced a wood cabinet for my 34G signature and the cabinet guy was going to charge me $400 and that isnt including a hood. i stayed with the Cad 34G cherry cabinet for $150 and actually it looks really nice.

i priced a wood cabinet for my 34G signature and the cabinet guy was going to charge me $400 and that isnt including a hood.

to be honest that is still a decent price depending on the finish of the cabinet. I may be spending around $200 on materials alone for the hood and stand depending on what style & finish I ultimately want to go with. I figured I will have this tank for awhile so it's worth it.

i was priced with plywood birch with euro Hinges like the cadlights design. i guess its ok because custom cabinets are pricey, i sorta expected it.

just a suggestion though because i planned it out also. i was going to use a darker stain like Jacobean or dark Cherry semi-gloss because the background of the tank is black. just my preference of course you should chose something that will match your house and your liking.

you must be planning to keep some serious corals with a 250W HQI, better keep that chiller handy lol.

i was priced with plywood birch with euro Hinges like the cadlights design. i guess its ok because custom cabinets are pricey, i sorta expected it.

just a suggestion though because i planned it out also. i was going to use a darker stain like Jacobean or dark Cherry semi-gloss because the background of the tank is black. just my preference of course you should chose something that will match your house and your liking.

you must be planning to keep some serious corals with a 250W HQI, better keep that chiller handy lol.

My brother-in-law keeps trying to get me to go with a tiger maple wood or a wormy cherry wood. I am undecided though.

I do have a chiller ready to go, it is a 1/10 artica chiller, compliments of the Oogie blow out sale.

My brother-in-law keeps trying to get me to go with a tiger maple wood or a wormy cherry wood. I am undecided though.

I do have a chiller ready to go, it is a 1/10 artica chiller, compliments of the Oogie blow out sale.

I just checked your location and you are located in Westchester NY. Cadlights place isn't too far, well it's going to be about an hour drive if there's no traffic. You should check his place out, he got some nice stuffs in his store. I never saw his warehouse but I did see his fish store, I heard the build right next to is his warehouse for the cadlights tank. No wonder why you are insist on Cadlights, no shipping charge :)

i did my comparisons and prefered the Cadlights tank the first time. especially now that i have it to see in person, it looks amazing! i get so much compliments with this tank. the filtration is better than the Solana and the tank itself is very streamline and seamless (which i like).

they have the Solana around here at my LFS and its nice but the glass looks very thin and the filtration definitely is lacking though better than the other mass-manufactured brands. i am still comparing between the new 39G Cadlights or the Solana for my office, but if the new Cadlights is anything like the 34G or better, i will definitely choose the Cad.

• 2 weeks later...
fastandsneaky

Man it sucks to have a credit card and to have no control in what I do... Lmao. I called Eddie at Cadlights and just preorder what? Yes the 39g signature tank with the new cherry cabinet which he assured it not like the Ikea wood LOL. But its sweet because if you preorder before Jan 10th its 694.99. He said that the 39g will prob be 50-100 dollars more. So I said whatever, too sweet of a deal to pass up. I'll worry about it when my bill comes hehe.

Archived