ReefCleaners.org

Clowns and Anemones

clownfish_5

I currently have two ocellaris clownfish. For my two clowns to breed would there have to be an anemone for them as a host? If they do need an anemone, what would be the best type of anemone for two clowns?

clowns can live a happy life even without a host anemone. if you're really planning on having an anemone, wait 'till your tank is 6 months or more.

I currently have two ocellaris clownfish. For my two clowns to breed would there have to be an anemone for them as a host? If they do need an anemone, what would be the best type of anemone for two clowns?

Breeding clowns doesn't require an anemone. They will naturally begin to host something, even if it's just a rock or powerhead near the site that they choose to lay eggs. Most breeding setups for clowns lack anemones because they're generally difficult to care for.

A condy could probably be kept, though as above it won't host clowns and needs strong lighting.

Anemones certainly aren't required for clowns, but in my experience they tend to be much less prone to disease when kept with one.

Condylactis anemones create too much waste for a 10g. You will spend all your time battling algae and/or cyano and trying to keep up with water changes. I don't really understand why Lynden keeps pushing condys in 10g tanks. They require more intense lighting than btas and regular feedings. They may be somewhat more tolerant in regards to water quality but a 10g is not sufficient for long term success, imo. Condys will host clowns. Mine hosts two maroons for over two years now, no problems. On the other hand, condys have been known to eat the fish they have hosted.

BustytheSnowMaam

If you want to breed them, I'd recommend reading the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson, excellent book and easy to read. And I second or third all those who say you don't need an anemone. If you check out the end of my tank thread (see my sig) mine host in anthelia.

Condylactis anemones create too much waste for a 10g. You will spend all your time battling algae and/or cyano and trying to keep up with water changes. I don't really understand why Lynden keeps pushing condys in 10g tanks. They require more intense lighting than btas and regular feedings. They may be somewhat more tolerant in regards to water quality but a 10g is not sufficient for long term success, imo. Condys will host clowns. Mine hosts two maroons for over two years now, no problems. On the other hand, condys have been known to eat the fish they have hosted.

Cause she probably has a condy and a niger trigger in a 10g and it been fine for a week and half?

Actually it's been two weeks. ;) Also it's a him.

I haven't tried it myself but ten gallons seems a reasonable minimum. I'm not trying to push them in ten gallon tanks; just saying they can be kept, similar to how black tip reef sharks can be kept but that doesn't mean I want anyone to rush out and buy one.

Likewise, condys, being zooxanthellate (unless bleached), will not overflow a tank with waste. Once a week feedings are more than enough, and under strong lighting zooxanthellate animals produce little to no waste that isn't taken by the symbiodinium within them. In this respect, corals, nems and clams can act as nutrient exports, which is why they can so easily be crowded into a tank. If one has nutrient problems in a reef heavily stocked with photosynthetic corals I'm afraid it's a mistake on the owners part, such as overfeeding.

Remember also that I was never totally disagreeing with people, just pointing out that it can be done - with the proper equipment.

Archived