ReefCleaners.org

New pics of my goby larvae

c est ma

OK, I think I'm getting a little better at getting shots of these greenbanded goby larvae. They are impossibly tiny and quick to shoot, but a few of the 100's I snapped turned out at least recognizable. These larvae were just a few hours post-hatching, and very interested in a little clump of bubbles at the water surface. They appear to be grazing on some film on the biggest bubble:

dscn0245irfanyx0.jpg

dscn0303irfanns3.jpg

dscn0306irfanhc3.jpg

dscn0313irfanor1.jpg

dscn0314irfanzc3.jpg

dscn0320irfanmy7.jpg

I even took a stab at cropping that last shot:

dscn0320cropped2vd0.jpg

Here's a very brief (and blurry--do NOT enlarge!) video of what I'm dealing with when trying to get pics of these guys. Watching it, it dawns on me that it just might help if I turned off my pump! :blush:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2111518713757941875

--Diane

wow! Awesome shots. Do they ever survive??? They are awfully cute. Amazing that u can get shots that clear. Simply beautiful!

Thanks, everyone!

supreme_spork -- just a Nikon Coolpix 3100 point-&-shoot. Those were taken through a 12X loupe, macro setting, manual, lowered exposure setting (-1.3)...

fries -- Survive? Unfortunately not yet. But they're put to good use..."Mom" has become quite adept at scarfing them up...I guess they're just another prey item to her...I figure she needs the nutrition, as she's been pumping out a batch of eggs nearly every week for over a year, now.

Here are some shots of Mom after dining on last week's spawn--she looks even larger than when she's just gravid (she's no doubt gravid in these shots, too, as they apparently start a new brood as soon as the male releases the previous larvae). In some of these shots the little suction disc thingy formed by the goby's pelvic fins shows up pretty well:

11/30/07

(male in background)

dscn9961irfansd4.jpg

dscn9964irfanpj9.jpg

dscn9966irfanih1.jpg

dscn9967irfangc3.jpg

dscn9968irfanlb8.jpg

dscn9970irfanrf0.jpg

--Diane

el_vulture619

That is awsome Diane! :lol:

Do you think that if you got one of those little breeding fish nets and put them in it they might servive to a bigger size? I think you should try it! :D Put a couple peices of live rock rubble in there to maybe supply a few places to hide and some too small for the human eye food. Then when they get a little bigger Ill come get them! If I sell them ill give you a cut.. B)

They are impossibly tiny and quick to shoot, but a few of the 100's I snapped turned out at least recognizable.

I'm just hoping you have a rechargeable camera. Batteries are expensive.

That is awsome Diane! :lol:

Do you think that if you got one of those little breeding fish nets and put them in it they might servive to a bigger size? I think you should try it! :D Put a couple peices of live rock rubble in there to maybe supply a few places to hide and some too small for the human eye food. Then when they get a little bigger Ill come get them! If I sell them ill give you a cut.. B)

Actually, I've tried that...they do not survive more than a few days...

I've covered this in some of my previous goby threads (since I just have the one little tank, you'll notice I just keep posting about the same old stuff...:()--it takes a lot of effort to raise larvae this small. You have to culture phytoplankton and rotifers of the right size...

I've always said that anyone within driving distance who would like to try raising them is welcome to come take any batch of babies...

I'm just hoping you have a rechargeable camera. Batteries are expensive.

I really should use rechargeables. Batteries are not only expensive, they're not very "green."

--Diane

supreme_spork
supreme_spork -- just a Nikon Coolpix 3100 point-&-shoot. Those were taken through a 12X loupe, macro setting, manual, lowered exposure setting (-1.3)...

Cool Diane -- I'm amazed at the quality of pics you're able to squeeze out of that point-and-shoot!

Mom sure is a rotten one! I guess nature has it's ways. I just love your pics!!!

Daughter has been asking what I want for christmas.....so I realized that we really need a magnifying glass....so hopefully she will get me one!! So that maybe I can try to take closer shots. My dad should be able to get me a loupe. He is a geologist, and uses one quite regularily while looking at his rocks. I will have to ask him. And yes you really should get some rechargeables. I have at least a dozen or so. Not that expensive in the long run, and well worth the money. I have found that the ones that are actually made for cameras last longer. I bought some campower ones at the camera shop (I'm thinking 4 for $20) a couple of years ago, and they are the best ones I have. Get your charger at the walmart or something, They go on sale, you get the charger and 4 AA's for around $20, $25.

Keep those awesome pictures coming....always a pleasure to see your pics

Andrea

Archived