Top Shelf Aquatics

New AquaPod 12

ToeJam

Here is a picture of my new AquaPod 12 that I have set up next to my desk at work. I just transferred everything over from my 3g Picotope today. This picture is from my phone, so the quality is not the best.

I added 3 fans for a total of 4. Two in the back in the stock spots and 2 in the front on each side of the feeding door. I am going to be moving the 70W halide over to this tank this weekend. So far my temps have been staying around 78. I am also going to remove the ballasts from the hood in order to make room for the halide.

I have a maxijet set up with some PVC at the bottom of the tank acting as a spray bar and also adding extra flow. I am probably going to get a Koralia 1 or nano to go along with it. The goal is to have this be an SPS/LPS dominated tank.

I have an ATO system already built for this, I just need to transfer the float switch over to the new tank from the old one.

So far the inhabitants are:

1 Highfin goby

1 Sexy shrimp

4 snails

1 blue leg hermit

1 small crocea clam

Corals:

red cap

green cap

green candy cane

ricordias

several different zoos

2 types of xenia

GSP

green striped mushrooms

The xenia, mushrooms and GSP are going to be removed once I start to get more SPS in the tank. I also have a frogspawn and hammer frag that I will be bringing in to put in the tank.

Let me know what you think.

photo.jpg

My old 3g Picotope

What are you going to do about the plastic splash guard? The metal halide light will melt that thing.

Interested in pics of your spray bar.

What are you going to do about the plastic splash guard? The metal halide light will melt that thing.

Interested in pics of your spray bar.

He can do what i did and cut out around it and put UV glass in its place. I have no heat issues constant 80 degrees.

1290321928_b361959f9b.jpg?v=0

He can do what i did and cut out around it and put UV glass in its place. I have no heat issues constant 80 degrees.

1290321928_b361959f9b.jpg?v=0

That is exactly what I am planning on, I just hadn't seen any pictures of how anyone had done it yet. What did you use to bond the plastic to the UV glass? I was thinking about using aquarium sealant, but I don't think that would be strong enough. Super glue maybe?

Edit: I see you have a couple screws holding it in place. That would work too :)

What are you going to do about the plastic splash guard? The metal halide light will melt that thing.Interested in pics of your spray bar.
I will bring my camera in to work tomorrow and take some better pictures. It is pretty much just a u shaped pvc with some holes in it and a tee in the middle that the powerhead plugs into.
need more live rock
I have another 5 pounds that I am going to throw in the tank next week. There is about 8 pounds in the tank now.

I have the same tank interested in seeing pics of how you installed your fans. I wnat to put a fan somewhere in the tank but dont want to do a ton of mods. How did you get the 2 in your top feeding door??

Thanks

that is 8 lbs of rock?! It looks no where near that. More = good
I have the same tank interested in seeing pics of how you installed your fans. I wnat to put a fan somewhere in the tank but dont want to do a ton of mods. How did you get the 2 in your top feeding door??Thanks
I took some pictures of it yesterday, but forgot to take them off the camera last night when I got home. I will post them tonight. I used a hole saw to cut holes in the hood and mounted the fans on the inside. There is one fan in each of the front corners of the hood. One blowing out and one pulling air in.
I did something very similar to this and my tank temps are staying at a constant 78 degrees. However, the bulb is getting too hot in the hood and tripping the ballast. It happenned twice yesterday and 3 times already today. I don't think my fans are doing a good enough job of getting the air to the bulb to recirculate and remove the heat. I still have the stock reflector in the hood which blocks off most of the air circulation from the fans. I am going to remove the back section of the reflector that covers the ballast & fans and see if that cools things down a bit. If not, I am not sure what I can do to get the bulb cooled down.Doh. It just cycled the ballast again for the 4th time today as I was posting this.

Here are some updated pictures. I added some more rock. I also took some pictures of the inside of the hood when I was putting the lights in, but they were not on the camera. Either that or I just missed uploading them. I still need to put the fan covers on. I don't like the look of the gaping holes.

P1000583.jpg

P1000585.jpg

P1000582.jpg

P1000581.jpg

P1000580.jpg

P1000579.jpg

P1000578.jpg

I got my ballast issues under control. I ended up cutting a couple pieces out of the reflector in order to get some better air circulation. The halide has not tripped the ballast since. My temps are also staying right between 78 and 79 degrees.

Added a bunch of frags a few days ago. Getting some pretty good polyp extension. I also separated the 4 fans into 2 different plug ins. That way I can control 2 of them on the reefkeeper and run them based on the temp of the tank.

I also added a Koralia 1 and a black clown. He is pretty cool. He comes up to the front of the glass to say hi when I get in the office in the morning (I think he actually just wants food ).

Next addition to the tank will be a HOB skimmer.

Amm/trites/trates are all 0. Calcium & Alk levels are running around 420 and 8.5. I am supplementing with Kent Liquid Reactor, just a couple drops a day.

The frags I added are:

• Green tort
  • ORA tort
  • Cali (?) tort
  • Another green cap
  • Green acro w/ blue tips
  • Pink birdsnest
  • Purple tri-color
  • Green & red zoos
  • Pink acro

I added a small piece of Sunset Montipora to the tank a couple weeks ago from my colony at home. It had come off the rock i had it glued to and I could not find it. It resurfaced yesterday and it is back in place on a rock at the top of the tank. It is a little bleached, but still showing great polyp extension. It will probably come back pretty quick.

The black clown is a little pig. Everytime I throw food in, it is right there chomping it all down.

All tank params are in range. The nitrates are at about 10 due to my clam dying over the weekend. It was loaded with pyramid snails and the tissue was detached from the shell when I removed it. I am doing a water change today to get the nitrates back to 0.

Alk 8.5

CA 440

Amm 0

Trites 0

Trates 10

Phos 0

• 3 weeks later...

I just added a NC12 sapphire skimmer to the Aquapod this morning. I was able to fit it in the overflow chamber, but I had to modify the baffle in the middle chamber to get the water level down far enough that the skimmer would not overflow.

The skimmer is breaking in now. Plenty of microbubbles. They seem to be slowly getting better though. there are less now than there were when I set it up a couple hours ago.

Do you happen to have a new FTS?

I brought my new camera in today in order to get some updated tank pics. I will take a few and post them soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on getting some pictures. The skimmer is working great. I still get a few microbubbles, but I also get a full collection cup of skimmate every couple days. So far I am very happy with the skimmer.

• 1 month later...

Here are some updated pictures. I picked up some sand tonight and will be adding a SSB in the next few days.

FTS

IMG_00821024x768.jpg

Right side

IMG_00841024x768.jpg

Left side

IMG_00861024x768.jpg

Some SPS frags

IMG_00591024x768.jpg

Tricolor acro

IMG_00621024x768.jpg

Acan

IMG_00661024x768.jpg

Oregon tort

IMG_00701024x768.jpg

Superman Digitata

IMG_00761024x768.jpg

Sunset Montipora

IMG_00691024x768.jpg

I will be adding the sand bed tonight. I picked up 20 pounds of white sand that is being rinsed today. I am going to empty the tank tonight and give it a good cleaning then add the sand. After that I am going to add everything back in this evening after things settle a bit.

Archived