SaltCritters.com

Possible problem or not for the future?

jjohnson3

I was online about a week ago and I was told that you can have a Regal Tang in a 20 gallon tank but the people on this website say it will not live for long. Is it possible to keep it at all. This will be the only fish i will get if necessisary. My tank is three weeks old and my levels are

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite- safe for fish(test kit will not read ppm)

salinity- 1.023

P.H.- 8.3

Alk- test kit says safe

Equipment

-------------------------------

penguin 1140 powerhead

aqueon 20 filter

walmart 20 gallon tank setup

Livestock

liverock- ???

Livesand-20 lbs

Fish

Blue Regal Tang

Is my tank cycled?

post-31452-1192412529_thumb.jpg

post-31452-1192412559_thumb.jpg

You cannont keep this fish in your tank. Tank is wayy to small. Although it may survive for short while it will be slowly killing your fish. Its hard to tell if your tank has cycled... Have you had any algea blooms? See any pods?

Keeping this fish is like you living in a 6x6 room the rest of your life. Its not fair to the animal that you are giving care for.

Also you shouldn't need a filter for your tank. Liverock and livesand is your main filtration. Do research and read all the info you can on this website and ask lots of questions. Ask questions before you spend money.

Chris

I realize this now but i kinda got a problem...

1-mama wont let me sell online

2-pet store will not accept refunds on saltwater fish

3-i dont know anyone to give it to

Will it live at all?

How long do you expect it will live?

fraggle rockette

if "mama" cares at all, she'll let you post here for a local reefer in your area with a larger tank to come and get it. also, the majority of fish stores will give you credit for bringing fish back- maybe try a different one near you? obviously you are young and didn't do the research before getting the fish, but the damage is done so now to clean the mess up and get you on the right track... get the fish out of that shoebox! :P

If all else fails call your local zoo or aquarium. Also look into a local marine club. Someone will take the fish. As for you time frame for the tang to live...who knows If I remember correctly those fish are not that hardy to begin with. I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Archived