Pod Your Reef

ID HELP

elmar

Hi - I am new to SW and would like some help identifying this. I started a pico tank and it has been cycling for about 3 weeks. All i have is 2 hermit crabs. Earlier today, I had the lighting off and noticed when I turned them on this thing had some tiny and skiny white tentacles. However, they retracted when I left the light on. What is it?

http://gallery.mac.com/roberto88#100007&am...black&sel=0

post-31243-1192245920_thumb.jpg

I'm not 100% sure from that pic but I think you may have a Pseudocorynactis "anemone." (While these are often called anemones, sometimes "strawberry anemones" I believe, they are actually corallimorpharians, i.e., members of the mushroom taxon.)

The verdict on these is mixed. Many consider them a pretty cool hitchhiker, though they do present a threat to some fish when large. You can find a lot of threads (and pics) in this forum about them if you search. Meanwhile here's an article in which they're mentioned, and one of the N-R threads about them (Icyoudd..., a poster on that thread, has a lot of experience with these guys).

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ctis+corynactis

--Diane

After looking through boht of your links, I am pretty convinced that it is a Pseudocorynactis. I will do some more research tough. I must admit, it is a pretty cool looking thing though. Today tried playing it with it. Submerged a plastic spoon to have it touch some of its tiny tentacles and immediately reacted. As I tried pulling out the spoon, gently of course, i noticed that it would not let go. It seem as if the tiny balls were glued onto the spoon.

That stickiness, plus the light sensitivity you mentioned, really fit the description well.

Let me know how this critter works out for you! :)

--Diane

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i think dianes on the money. they are indeed very very sticky. they also have a powerfull sting. hense the reason they can be a threat to fish (when much larger)

get yourself a blue l.e.d. (single-dollar store keychain etc.) and shine it on the anemone. i think you'll be very impressed.

aaaa.jpg

they seem to have glow in the dark orange/blue spots.

seahorsedreams

Definately a pseudocorynactis. I actually don't target feed mine anything. Here's a pic of those in my tank.

Pseudocorynactis2.jpg

bevel222.jpg

Hi Seahorsedreams -

So how big is your tank and do you have any other inhabitants like fish, invertebrates, etc? From what I've read, these pseudos will eat just about anything that it can get a hold of, including shrimp and snails.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i dont feed mine either. i've had a small coloney of them for a few years now. they live in my overflow so they get very little light, and only the food that happens to float by.

my largest is at least 3 years old and its no bigger than a quarter.

its when they get much bigger you have to worry.

the more ya feed it, the faster it will grow. just leave em be, and enjoy.

IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

the pic's in the last post really shows the hidden spots of color. little semi circles of light reflecting from the center of the disk.

fantastic pic's!

seahorsedreams
Hi Seahorsedreams -

So how big is your tank and do you have any other inhabitants like fish, invertebrates, etc? From what I've read, these pseudos will eat just about anything that it can get a hold of, including shrimp and snails.

It's a 50 total volume split tank. One one side is a mantis and the other side has a seahorse. The Pseudocorynactis is the the seahorse side. Contains your typical snail variety clean up crew with 2 peppermint shrimp. These guys only get to about 1" at most, and will not eat shrimp or snails. I've shared these with a few friends and everyone loves the addition. Enjoy them.

Archived