Pod Your Reef

Red Sea Max

Tetsugen

I have seen one guy here make one. You have to take out the protein skimmer to make room and install a small light. Otherwise your best bet is to make an external one.

Hmmm any ideas on how to keep the skimmer and make a fuge?

Amazing tank BTW STevieT, i've been keeping an eye on your journal for awhile now!

Thank you! I just got in more ricordea and a starfish today from reefscavengers.com

I was asking that same question myself. I was wondering if cheato could be put to the left of the skimmer. I was informed that it would cut flow too much and not work. The only other thing you can do is put an output pump to the left of the skimmer, run it down into the stand and create an external fuge.

I gave up on the idea since i added an ATO and don't have room for any more pumps/hoses. My water stays pretty health, even though i have always wanted Cheato. I'd like to see if you figure out anything

Thank you! I just got in more ricordea and a starfish today from reefscavengers.com

I was asking that same question myself. I was wondering if cheato could be put to the left of the skimmer. I was informed that it would cut flow too much and not work. The only other thing you can do is put an output pump to the left of the skimmer, run it down into the stand and create an external fuge.

I gave up on the idea since i added an ATO and don't have room for any more pumps/hoses. My water stays pretty health, even though i have always wanted Cheato. I'd like to see if you figure out anything

Pumping out and down is generally a bad idea, you would have to have a return pump and keep them in sync. I have heard of someone using a CPR overflow and doing a full external sump. That is one method, I am trying to find a way to do a smaller display fuge of sorts slightly higher so that I can pump out, and gravity feed back to the RSM. That seems the safest method. I am less concerned about the nutrient export though, and really just want a good area for pods to breed.

Thanks for the advice, can you recommend a better, quiet, more powerful skimmer to replace the stock unit then ? Preferably one that won't change the lines of the hood (stick out ! :P).

Great Job Tetsugen!!!!!! It looks like others have tried the Aqua C as well. I have had a remora in the past and was impressed. Please report back if you try the Tunze skimmer, This red sea skimmer is junk.

My skimmer does a good job, I have to empty it out every other day with about 1/4 inch of skimmate in the cup. I drilled 6 small holes in the top lid ( arranged like the pockets on a pool table ) about 1/16" in diameter. After doing this I found that the pressure was equalized better and got better results.

I'm planning a sump for under my display to fit in the stock cabinet.....the stock skimmer will be removed and a new smaller skimmer will go in a 20 x 16 x 16 refugium. where the stock skimmer was will be an overflow box that will go down to the sump, the return will cycle through my chiller first then up to the main display through a slot machined in the plastic back panel ( hopefully I can remove it without breaking anyting )

I'll be sure to post pics when complete,

I'm in the skimmer decision phase, please help me decide between the AquaC Urchin and the Current USA Fission skimmer. ( I have a thread on this in the refugium section ) The stock skimmer will not work for my sump as the water level will not be high enough adn the skimmer is just too damn big. So far the AquaC looks like the winner, I have yet to hear anything bad about it and it uses a pump to fill it to the proper water level, no adjusting necessary. I think I just talked myself into a sale!

Thanks

Stan-O

Stay the hell away from the Fission skimmer... Heed my warning or forever be cursed...

Thanks! I think i'll be going with the urchin anyways. haven't heard anything really bad about them yet.

Go with the AquaC, I had a Remora on my old tank and miss it a lot.

I drilled one hole in the lid a while back, maybe I will drill more to help the collection. Right now it doesn't spill much into the cup, most collects in the tube. I have three fish along with other bio loads so there should be more collection.

Go with the AquaC, I had a Remora on my old tank and miss it a lot.

I drilled one hole in the lid a while back, maybe I will drill more to help the collection. Right now it doesn't spill much into the cup, most collects in the tube. I have three fish along with other bio loads so there should be more collection.

How open is the air valve? I drew a line with a sharpie on the air valve so I knew how much I was adjusting it.

On the red sea max website in the FAQ there is a good description on how to adjust the skimmer, if you haven't read it i suggest it, worked for me.

Good luck with your skimmer.

I believe I have the air valve open all the way. I have played with it a lot and haven't found a happy medium. I will look into that FAQ. I took the cup out yesterday and it had some skimmate at the bottom and heavy green crap built up in the tube. SO it is working just not as much as I expected. How open is your valve? I wonder if i closed it a bit it might actually pull more.

Stan-O - I am considering a 20x16x16 sump as well for my max? Any design tips for it? This will be my first attempt at something of this nature.

My RSM skimmer seems to work alright, I have yet to drill the holes in the lid, I may just to see what happens as it doesn't look like it could cause anything negative to happen. My air valve is nearly all the way open...maybe 3/4 turn from it...it took about a week of messing around to get it to its current performance.

I have no problems at all with my skimmer seems to do a good job. I empty it out about once every 1-2 weeks when its full of dark skimate.

Archived