Top Shelf Aquatics

Super BC14 Tech Tune-Up .:. Nano Tank Bio

PurpleUP

Hi All,

I thought some of you all-in-one tank owners might be interested in my latest BC14 upgrades. Due to a restricted budget, I wanted to limit myself to a nano cube that I could stock rather quickly without having the desire to buy more and more corals. On top of that, required calcium, iodine, strontium, magnesium supplements can be costly for a larger system. In addition to that, 3 gallon water changes per week are much less tedious than 20 gallon water changes, while using less salt - which can also be costly. However, I also wanted to keep SPS corals, which demand higher water flow and intense lighting, so the stock BC14 just wouldn’t do. What you see here is the culmination of 5 months of trial and error. I’m starting this thread to possibly save fellow all-in-one tank owners some serious money and time.

Many people argue why buy an all-in-one tank when you’re only going to upgrade the stock equipment anyway? From my experience, I am glad I did it this way (although I never intended to from the beginning) because the design of cube itself is very appealing to me and I’ve found use for all of the old parts – The old lighting hood is now being used to light my experimental 10gal tank, and the old pump is used for circulating Kalkwasser in the 5gal ATO reservoir. Overall, I am incredibly pleased with the higher quality of water, better lighting conditions, and apparent good health of my upgraded tank. The tank details and equipment enhancements are listed as follows:

LIGHTING:.

Coralife Hang-On 150W 20,000k HQI – the hang-on mount allows for me to have an open top, while giving me accessibility to the tank at all times. (on from 10am to 7pm)

Coralife 1W Moonlight – the snake-arm curls out of the way by day so it won’t cast a shadow onto the corals beneath. (on from 7pm to 2am)

PUMPS:.

2 X Rio 90s – placed on opposite sides of the tank to create desirable water chaos

Maxi Jet 1200 – replaced stock pump

Hydor Flo (rotating water deflector) – to vary water flow

SKIMMER:.

CPR Backpack Protein Skimmer – some people argue that skimming is not necessary for nano tanks, but because I keep so many corals I don’t want to take any chances. This one is the largest one that could fit in the 2nd chamber. I only put it in several days ago. I’ll let you know how much dirt it pulls from the tank after I’ve used it for another couple weeks.

AUTO TOP-OFF SYSTEM:.

ATO – This has become the most essential add-on to my tank. With 2 fans running 9hrs/day on an open-top HQI lit system, water evaporates soooo quickly. The 5gal freshwater reservoir is replenished weekly with Kalkwasser to maintain my calcium, dKH, and pH. The ATO sensor has been placed at the bottom of the 3rd chamber just above the main Maxi Jet pump. Today, I added a ball valve to close the return when necessary, so I don’t have to turn the system off every time I do water changes or adjust salinity.

SUPPLEMENTS:.

Reef Solution by EcoSystem – 2ml added daily

PurpleUp by CaribSea – 3.0ml added to 3gal of saltwater at every water change

Lugol’s Iodine – ½ drop added once per week

Live Phytoplankton – 2ml fed once every other day

Instant Ocean Salt – for regular water changes

Premium Reef Crystals Salt – used once per month

WATER:.

Only RO/DI water from the same LFS, EVERY TIME. They give 20 gallons FREE every visit!

PARAMETERS:.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrates: 0-5

Phosphates: 0

pH: 8.4

Calcium: 400-440ppm

Alkalinity: 9-10dKH

Salinity: 1.025—1.026

Temp: 78º - 80º maintained by constant home A/C set @ 76º and 2 Honeywell Air Fans

LIVESTOCK:.

Whoa. Too much too many to mention!

BTW: My tank is entered in Reef Central’s NTOTM contest. Care to vote for a fellow All-In-One Reefer? Tough competition though. 2 past winners are also in the contest. Everyone is open to enter. Good luck to you if you do!

Check it out: AUGUST NTOTM

Over time, I’ll be adding close up pics and topics of interest related to this tank. Feel free to ask me any questions if you’d like. Hope this information helps at least one fellow reefer out there!

CLOSE UP FTS

NTOTM_PurpleUp2b.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somethin about LEATHERS brings back memories of diving in the Philippine Islands. I think it might be its subtle motion in the current.

Leather.jpg

Small world. But my home is actually in El Dorado Hills just 30 miles east of Sacramento. My business is in San Jose though. Sunnyvale is a loooooong way from MD. Check out Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas while you're there - amazing reef displays. Owner of the store used to be a doctor but preferred reef keeping instead.

Haha just noticed that your from San Jose, Im in Sunnyvale right now visiting family.

hi patty, the brain's skeleton is roughly 2.5" wide and 3 inches when extended. I put it in there no more than 2-3 days ago, but it seems to like its new home.

Randy, Too funny! i just got a brain too; Last friday! i got a Lime green about 3-4" i been monitoring mine and it seems happy also :)... I did take pics like i said but i cant seem to find the camera cord, i'll post em as soon as i find it LOL!.... grrrr! Happy Monday !! (NOT) :P

Hey Patty,

Yes, please do share!

*Today, I placed half a bottle of Purigen into a fine mesh bag and dropped it in the 2nd chamber. I've read it works wonders against nitrates and last up to 6mos. Saw that it reduced the amount of bubbles in my protein skimmer though :( I'll keep watching it...

Randy, Too funny! i just got a brain too; Last friday! i got a Lime green about 3-4" i been monitoring mine and it seems happy also :)... I did take pics like i said but i cant seem to find the camera cord, i'll post em as soon as i find it LOL!.... grrrr! Happy Monday !! (NOT) :P

Lost my regular Sony Cybershot. For these, I use a 5 megapixel hard-disk video camera! - JVC Model GZ-MG505U.

Did you use a regular digital camera to get these pcitures?

Great tank, muy impressado.

Somethin about LEATHERS brings back memories of diving in the Philippine Islands. I think it might be its subtle motion in the current.

Leather.jpg

what is the purple in the background next to the pink leather it is so pretty? sorry for the noob question

I believe it may be a Blue Goniopora from Thailand. I haven't seen it in the LFS very often. Hoping it spreads onto the surrounding rock soon.

what is the purple in the background next to the pink leather it is so pretty? sorry for the noob question

SHOOT! If I lived in that tank... I'd be growing nice furry polyps too! ! ! LOL!

Hey Randy i've been meaning to ask you, what test kit are you currently using?

Archived