Top Shelf Aquatics

Any idea on this one?

floridaricordia

I was going to chime in that I thought Montipora and Porites were 2 separate genera (which they are), when I searched Montipora spp and discovered there is in fact a Montipora porites. So that's (one of) my lesson(s) for the day!

But how are you so sure of this ID? Do you have any other pics or references? I did a Google image search with not terribly satisfactory results.

Curiously,

Diane

i just know that because i have had tons on my rock in my Finnex, thats why i bought the rock, but they bleached out and died during my cycle, ohh and if you look hard enought on google or any other search engine you will usually find a pic that looks like one

Very cool, too bad you lost yours during the cycle!

Yes, I love that site! I did in fact look at it, but not closely enough to notice the encrusting form, I guess. And I only glanced at 3 or 4 pp of a google search, only seeing the branching type as you mentioned. Actually, I was lazy and it was easier just to ask you! :)

floridaricordea's looks healthy, so far. Wonder how the proximity to the zoas will affect it?

--Diane

NanoClown--I have this tiny patch of a hh stony on the side of my Caulastrea frag. I got some shots of it closed up tonight (see little patch above the bend in the Caulastrea stalk):

dscn4796largepj6.jpg

dscn4798largelj8.jpg

Does that look like M. porites to you?

I also have pics of it open if that would help.

--Diane

looks like it, im not 100% on this one though, its tiny, btw nice Caulastrea frag you have there i had a frag before, but it wasnt nearly as neon as that

Thanks for both comments, NC! :)

BTW, the polyps on M. porites are fairly small, no? I assume you mean my entire "colony" is pretty small--yes it is. But the extended polyps do have a stalk--would that rule out the M.p.? (Sorry for the hijack, floridaricordea!).

--Diane

yea i meant teh colony was tiny

and no, i have had two kinds one like flric, and one like yours, to me they both have the same structure so they must both be a M.porites

The Propagator

c est ma:

Thats a star coral. Stings and eats meat as well as floating particles.

Montipora does not sting and only eats filter foods.

Not the same species.

c est ma:

Thats a star coral. Stings and eats meat as well as floating particles.

Montipora does not sting and only eats filter foods.

Not the same species.

Really? I think you may be thinking of another thread...

This is the specimen I'm talking about:

Closed

dscn4798largecroppedtl2.jpg

Open. Sorry about the depth of field. It's very tiny. But I think you can tell that there are a bunch of tiny polyps...

dscn4628largeys4.jpg

dscn4630largekr0.jpg

dscn4642largefb9.jpg

--Diane

The Propagator

Nope its this thread.

Thats a star coral AKA cup coral.

;)

They call it a star coral because the coralites are shaped like tiny stars.

Archived