Pod Your Reef

New Maroon!

John30507

I got my first fish today! It is a Maroon clown, with yellow stripes. I just put him in, so he is "hiding" in the rock. Tell me what you think.

post-28484-1185749555_thumb.jpg

how big is your tank? these are some of the bigger more aggressive clowns FIY

looks nice though... i love the gold stipped maroons.. great fish

I would not of made this my first fish. In my experience with these guys they are pretty aggressive. Putting one of these in the tank first makes them very territorial over the tank. Might have some problems putting other smaller fish in there now. JMO

Doesn't that just stink?

I mean here you are.. you got your first fish.. you share it with the world and you get replies that you just might not want to hear.

It's a cool fish.

You might want to post on here first that you are thinking of getting one and get feedback first and save yourself some grief.

Good luck!

I was going to get a pair of oscellaris clowns. Then the fs didn't have them. I wish that I would have known they were agressive. I usually post and wait before I buy, should have with an important thing like my first fish. The fs didn't say a word about it being aggressive, even the guy that is always honest. It is not eating yet, I will try again tomorrow to feed him. How long does it usually take for it to quit hiding and swim around?

I didn't really plan on getting anymore fish, I was planning more of corals. If I do decide to get more fish, would

one bigger than him do any good?

Matty: It is a BioCube29. No Modifications yet. I plan on getting a skimmer. and getting the nanotuners light upgrade.

hmmmm. if hes not sleepin down there. hes prob not doing well.. i have had problems with maroons in previous tanks.. idont know why, i guess they are alot more sensitive than other clowns...

my marroon sleeps in the top left corner of the tank.its tails up, head facing down and moving.my daughters percula sleeps in the top corner of her tank.

It is on the bottom of the tank. All I can see is it's tail, and it is swishing around, and he is bobbing up and down. He is still behind the rock.

clifford513
It is on the bottom of the tank. All I can see is it's tail, and it is swishing around, and he is bobbing up and down. He is still behind the rock.

He should be fine. Just getting accustomed to his new surroundings. Don't overfeed the tank or you will run into other problems. He will be fine without food for a couple days and will find pods while exploring. Just give him some time. Good luck :)

i have a pair of maroon's. my first fish, in a 10g. i didn't look here first so my own fault. well, they got along, grew up and now are in a 34g. maroon's are great, good luck. mine seem less aggressive then occeralis that i used to have (a couple years ago).

Thanks for the replies. Talking about pods, I woke up ALERT today, i guess I was excited about church. Anyways, I turned on the Actinic, and there was a ton of amphipods on the rock, sand, etc. He wont even need to explore to find them. Reminds me of the episode of That 70's Show when eric tries to get fat. :D

fingerscrossed Do a little happy dance :happydance: and pray. He will make it.

clifford513

My two munch pods off the glass every morning when the light comes on and throughout the day they examine the glass to see if they missed any.

So you can put two maroons in the same tank???? The Fish store keeps them in hamster balls when they put them in the same tank.

i bought two as baby's who were swimming really close to each other at the store. One grew large to become the female and the male stayed relatively small. if they aren't a pair, they'll probably attack the weaker one to death.

if you don't know yet, i'll elaborate. Clowns can change sex with the more aggressive one being the female and the wussy being the male. Being that your clown was first to be introduced to your tank. It is the dominant one and is probably becomming a female therefore you want a smaller clown to be added. The smaller one will think it's hardcore and want to be the female so the two will duke it out until a dominance is decided. With one being smaller, the odds of it winning is lessen and the odds of them getting hurt is lessen. Two of the same size will probably fight to the end. So just add a smaller clown or a bigger clown(if you can't find a smaller one) and they should pair up eventually.

Ok. I knew the part about the male being smallest and female being biggest, but I didn't know how they decided. What kind of clown should I get though?

get another gold bar maroon. It's VERY VERY rare that any other types will pair up. They will just fight to death most likely if not the same species.

Archived