ReefCleaners.org

Acan Lord Vs. Micro, how do you tell them apart?

juin21

Acan Lord Vs. Micro, how to tell them apart!

Ok, is there a way to tell these apart.

I think, Micro's have more tentacles, tentacles are brown and they are smaller.

Acan Lords have more rigid tentacles, are opaque and are larger.

Micro polyps are smaller then Acan Lord polyps, but I have seen small Acan Lord's, so this still makes it kinda hard. Does anyone have shots of Acan Lord vs. Micro skeletons? Any other way to distinguish them?

Acan Lord Vs. Micro, how to tell them apart!

Ok, is there a way to tell these apart.

I think, Micro's have more tentacles, tentacles are brown and they are smaller.

Acan Lords have more rigid tentacles, are opaque and are larger.

Micro polyps are smaller then Acan Lord polyps, but I have seen small Acan Lord's, so this still makes it kinda hard. Does anyone have shots of Acan Lord vs. Micro skeletons? Any other way to distinguish them?

their skeleton structure are almost identical, they are also very similar to blastomussa skeletons.

Come on micro experts share your knowledge :) Looking at a few pics I also notice that micro's have bumps all the way to their mouths, kinda like a yuma vs. a florida ric. But then again, i've seen some acan lords with bumps all the way to their mouths. Any smooth mouthed micro's?

reefman225gal
Come on micro experts share your knowledge :) Looking at a few pics I also notice that micro's have bumps all the way to their mouths, kinda like a yuma vs. a florida ric. But then again, i've seen some acan lords with bumps all the way to their mouths. Any smooth mouthed micro's?
Well im no expert but you will hardly never find a Micros corallite more then 8 mm across and Micros seem to be more colorful. Acans can measure 8 mm-15 mm across so i guess you can say Acans are bigger.
er1c_the_reefer

from whelks:

Micromussa amakusensis:

Colonies are cerioid with neat angular corallites up to 8 millimetres diameter. Septa have 1-3 large teeth. Colonies have a thick fleshy mantle usually covered with fine papillae. Similar species: , which has larger, less uniform corallites containing more septa. See also Acanthastrea lordhowensis, Micromussa minuta.

Acanthastrea lordhowensis:

Colonies are massive and cerioid, with laterally compressed corallites of uneven height. Walls are acute: septa are thick, with large teeth. Columellae are barely developed. Colonies have a thick fleshy mantle which is covered by fine papillae.

I just notice the size difference. They are almost identical in structure, IMO---micros are just on a waaaay smaller scale.

I like to call acans mAcromussa!!!*

*I have purely anecdotal personal reasons to call it that and in no way intend to imply that the hobby should adopt, in part or in it's entirety, my jocular reference.

Well, I for one would like to here why YOU call them mAcromussa. :)

um...cuz they are like big micros???

I mean doesn't anyone else have a way to tell? I really do just go on size--but there's a better way--I have had some pieces that looked like big micros or small acans---What about those?

there is one significant difference, micros are MUCH more expensive (compared to the amount of coral you actually get)

there is one significant difference, micros are MUCH more expensive (compared to the amount of coral you actually get)

LOL!

Yes--it's like Chipped ham vs. corned beef prices guess.

(you know what chipped ham is ez, dontcha??!!)

LOL!

Yes--it's like Chipped ham vs. corned beef prices guess.

(you know what chipped ham is ez, dontcha??!!)

no i don't....i do know what scrapple is....lol

Whoa--Isaly's Chipped Chopped Ham? I thought it was a Pgh staple. I'm not from here--but I've been here long enough to know about Chipped ham. It's like Spare Ham Parts all smushed into a loaf with Jelly like stuff to make it like lunchmeat.

It's like Spare Ham Parts all smushed into a loaf with Jelly like stuff to make it like lunchmeat.

See I was always under the impression that chipped ham was when the ham was shaved in a super thin way for lunchmeat at the deli counter. My dad is a butcher and that is what he calls "chipped" lunchmeat.

mvite you are talking processed meat...my dad calls that sh!t

xoxo

See I was always under the impression that chipped ham was when the ham was shaved in a super thin way for lunchmeat at the deli counter. My dad is a butcher and that is what he calls "chipped" lunchmeat.

mvite you are talking processed meat...my dad calls that sh!t

xoxo

They shave this stuff when they cut it---Hence the "Chipped" Chopped Ham. Sheesh... :P

oh i stand corrected chipped CHOPPED ham

I missed the chopped part of the post. I thought you were bashing all chipped meats accusing them of being meager mushed up animal guts neatly packaged for sandwich coverings.

micros are really, really small as lords are just really small.

Mvite you should sell chipped lord frags. (not the chipped chopped lord frags as they just aren't as cool.)

xoxo

Uhmmm....back on topic.

It is really difficult to tell them apart if Acans are fragged with only immature or small polyps. I believe that the only way to tell at that point would be to wait for it to grow out and see if they get bigger or to look at the tentacles, which are browner, smaller, thinner and have more bumps on them. Doh....

or to look at the tentacles, which are browner, smaller, thinner and have more bumps on them. Doh....

I never noticed that---maybe because I am only looking top down in my tubs and you can see from the sides.

ju ju this is in the WRONG FORUM. try ID next time. that's ok.. i'm known to forgive a noob.

k guys help me out with this one. purchased from FR as micro. i don't really care if it's TECHNICALLY micro or not. coral is coral

but i'd still like to know (if you know what i mean)

pardon the yellow wash. 10000/6500K

5yry8hx.jpg

Bra Bra, its JUIN OR DANIEL OR JUIN21. I didn't put it in id because i'm not iding any coral but trying to tell the difference between two different types of coral you boob, i mean noob.

I've seen it in person so I know the size. Given the size I would think micro, but the tentacles make it kinda look like a acan lord... Feed it and lets see it open up a little bit.

i know.

all my coral are brown. need more blue

i'm leaning towards acan lord based on the tentacles. micromussa tentacles have tentacles closer to the color of their outside skirt, which is sort of tucked underneath. when they are untucked, the over shape kinda looks like an onion, as the tentacles point inwards. hope that made sense

Archived