ReefCleaners.org

My Pico Tank - DESTROYED

sykospark

My beautiful 5.5 gallon pico is dead. All dead.

I got a call from my morning crew that the 'water was cloudy and everything was dead'. I went in ... and... the heater exploded. Glass and coils and whatever the hell else is in a heater... all over the refugium. Everything dead dead dead. A pico holocaust.

/hangs head.

Yes. It was a cheap heater. A Via Aqua I believe. I was having problems finding a good, 'lightweight' (aka 25 watt) heater for the 5.5 and settled for that one. I meant to change it out, esp. after it cooked my tank initially to 90 degrees before I got it to settle on the right temp.

:tears:

This is why I didn't go to the meet up yesterday. I was in despair. :(

I just put a baby torch in there too. I should have migrated it to my nano. mrowrrr!!! :angry:

omg. when you're ready, SCNRS will help restock your tank.

We will definitely help ya out! Just get another heater and set that bad boy up!!!

ouch! sorry to hear that. i agree, the tank was looking pretty suweet! did the heater run too dry (water level too low in the fuge)?

the new visitherms stealth (plastic) have shut-offs in them iirc. you might want to try those or the hydor "patch" one (i don't really like that one though).

good luck on the re-start. at least you have great regional support! :happy:

dude that is awful... i'll be waiting with frags in hand... sorry for your loss! :(

That would be dudette...shes a Trojan too by the way!

Dang...that sucks a lot. But the triage work that your local scene is doing is excellent! Triage might be the wrong word...rebuilding is better. That's why I love local reefing scenes!

Way to go, SoCal.

-j

HotRodScamp

My condolences.

DO IT AGAIN! Too many people get discouraged out of the hobby with events like this. Sounds like you've got a lot of great people stepping up to support your re-build, so DO IT AGAIN!!! Best of luck to you!

- Mike

Sorry to hear about your loss ... but I whole-heartedly agree with Mike (HotRodScamp), don't let this drop you out of the hobby! I had a huge loss at the beginning of the year .. now I am back to full shining glory.

Plus you have all these fantastic LA people ready to stock your tank (makes a lot of wish we lived in LA ... ok, maybe just for the corals ;) ).

Sorry to hear about your loss . I'm on the East coast, but I know I can send you a few zoo frags USPS priority when you get set back up again. Don't give up now there are many people here that will share the LOVE.

Man, I feel the love. Ya'll are so great - I freakin' love this site. <3 <3 I'm going to post a tacky picture of me holding a sign saying "I <3 NR" a la MySpace style when I get home (after doing my water change). /laughs

Thanks for cheering me up, everyone.

omg. when you're ready, SCNRS will help restock your tank.

So sad to see a tank like that go :tears:

Tell me when you are ready and I will frag anything in my tank for you

Sucks man, now to make it even better than before.

On a good note, I think you have urged me to go buy a solid heater. Even though my tank looks like sh*t right now, Id hate to kill my few inhabitants :(

Best of luck.

Well, our tanks completely depend on the equipment, so they're always the weakest link in the chain. It's an inherent risk in this hobby that you just can't get away from. You can add redundancy, etc.. but there's still the chance something will happen.

As for mini heaters, I've never had any problems from all my 25w Hagen Thermals (I have 4 running, all 1-2 years old). Of course, this is just from personal experience. That experience also tells me to never buy a Marineland brand heater.

Plus you have all these fantastic LA people ready to stock your tank (makes a lot of wish we lived in LA ... ok, maybe just for the corals ;) ).

+1

I loved your tank. Make it even better than before!

Archived