inTank Media Baskets

What light do you run on a HOB fuge

skillplyr55

Depends on what you want to do.

If you run it 24/7 or on a photoperiod that is reverse your main display, you can stabilize your pH somewhat but you may get light spillover into the tank.

Its fine to run it during your display photoperiod as well.

i run an AquaClear the biggest one and i took a plastic penut butter jar and cut a hole thru the the AC cover stuck a 6500k 20 watt twistie bulb in it and and submersed the light I run it 24/7 and my cheato has grown 2 x faster then running the same light above the fuge best mod ive ever made IMO

i run an AquaClear the biggest one and i took a plastic penut butter jar and cut a hole thru the the AC cover stuck a 6500k 20 watt twistie bulb in it and and submersed the light...

Do you have a pic of this mod?

How do you keep the jar from floating the AC lid?

I got this compact 18 watt 50/50 off ebay from Catfish Lighting. Looks nice and works great. And it only set me back 26 bucks!

post-26758-1174839063_thumb.jpg

ssirishpride

I can tell you that a cpr 24w gives off a lot of light. man, I had no idea the spill over would be so bad. But it's supposed to grow cheato like a champ.

Home Depot sells a 27W daylight PC swing arm desk lamp for $20. You can take it apart if you don't like the lamp base. I just have the part that holds the bulb sitting on top of my AC fuge.

--Colin

I did basically what Yankeereefer did, but I didn't use acrylic, I just cut the other end off of the hood and glued it back on. I also bought a 10W full spectrum bulb at Wal-Mart for like $4.95. They had them hanging in the fish section. Here are some pics. I tried to embed them but for some reason it said that .JPG wasn't a valid extension

http://picasaweb.google.com/tms2010/LastRoll

yankeereefer
I did basically what Yankeereefer did

what did they say about "great minds?"

I only opted to use the acrylic so that I could close up both halves and end up with 2 fixtures

YR

what did they say about "great minds?"

I only opted to use the acrylic so that I could close up both halves and end up with 2 fixtures

YR

Thanks for the compliment :) The acrylic was a good idea, to get 2 fixtures. Did you paint it black or anything to keep the light from leaking out through the ends?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i mounted a 3 light vanity fixture ($12 home depot) and use 3 27 watt phillips daylight spirals. (6500k)

the last time i was at home depot, phillips had the same daylight bulbs available in flouresent tubes (18"-4'-6500k) pretty sure there a fairly new product.

a cheap option for sump/ref light.

i mounted a 3 light vanity fixture ($12 home depot) and use 3 27 watt phillips daylight spirals. (6500k)

the last time i was at home depot, phillips had the same daylight bulbs available in flouresent tubes (18"-4'-6500k) pretty sure there a fairly new product.

Damm thats a lot of light! You must have to to take out handfuls of cheato every day :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Damm thats a lot of light! You must have to to take out handfuls of cheato every day :)

IMG_3969-1.jpg

my green cube. :)

when its this dense, it acts like filter floss. i throw it out as it collects debrit.

I use a Galaxy Light over my AC70 fuge on my 10g. It's expensive, but I bought it as part of a $30 package that included a filter and a cool little 3g bowfront tank.

when its this dense, it acts like filter floss. i throw it out as it collects debrit.

That's how my HOB fuge is too... I just throw out the nasty stuff.

travisurfer

ditto, i used 13w spirals over my fuge and they did wonders. i also saw those new bulbs you are talking about. much cheaper than what you would get at the lfs.

I use a Galaxy Light over my AC70 fuge on my 10g. It's expensive, but I bought it as part of a $30 package that included a filter and a cool little 3g bowfront tank.

This actually seems like the best idea. I want/need one of these.

Archived