Top Shelf Aquatics

pom pom crab

cooksalot

i just noticed my pom pom crab has this orange thing on the front of him. at first i thought he was carrying around the molt of one of my hermits, but then realized this is bright orange, and attached.

any idea what it is, and if it's good or bad? sorry the picture isn't the best, but he kept moving. it's the bright orange thing in between his anenomes. thanks.

Library-2587.jpg

Is it like a lot of small, round objects all squished together, and are they in a flap underneith? if so, it should be a SHE crab, and she has eggs. :)

You're gonna be a daddy! (or is it a mommy? granny?)

dsoz

i just noticed my pom pom crab has this orange thing on the front of him. at first i thought he was carrying around the molt of one of my hermits, but then realized this is bright orange, and attached.

any idea what it is, and if it's good or bad? sorry the picture isn't the best, but he kept moving. it's the bright orange thing in between his anenomes. thanks.

Library-2587.jpg

Congrats cooksalot, your going to be a father! LOL

Anyways she is carrying around her egg sack, do some googling for "pom pom crab pregnant" etc. and you should find some resources. Duno what the viability of raising them is. Good LUCK!

FW_crab_illness_wwm.jpg

looks familiar huh?

well, i suppose the technical term would be "mother" (maybe grandmohter??) lol..but i could be a father too.

chuck, is that your pom pom? is she still carrying the sac or did the babies come out?

my nine year old wants to know how she got pregnant if we only have one...hmmm...didn't think he figured that stuff out yet.

well, i suppose the technical term would be "mother" (maybe grandmohter??) lol..but i could be a father too.

chuck, is that your pom pom? is she still carrying the sac or did the babies come out?

my nine year old wants to know how she got pregnant if we only have one...hmmm...didn't think he figured that stuff out yet.

Sorry I guess I shouldn't be so quick to assume everyone is a guy LOL.

I found that picture doing a search. From my research I believe all females will form the egg sacks, however they need a male to fertilize them, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

From other posts it seems that they are fairly difficult to keep alive, she will release the eggs regardless and your tank will be full of them until something eats them or your skimmer gets them. The only successful breading I found was someone who put their pom pom into another tank with low circulation until they were released.

So now you can explain external fertilization to your 9 year old!

-Chuck

• 3 years later...

Menses :lol:

*sorry I know this thread is old but I couldn't help it :)

Archived