ReefCleaners.org

DIGITATE HYDROIDS ?

That_Nano_Guy

That_Nano_Guy

I got a rock a few months back with DIGITATE HYDROIDS on it. now they are all over my tank. I have read that these can sting pretty bad. How do I gat rid of them? I would like to do it without chemicals. Any Ideas????

camera not good enought th get a pic.

White strings with little barbs or hairs kinda have a ball on the end jerks in quick when it catches something.

Here is a drawing I fould online kinda looks like it

post-15421-1172643616_thumb.jpg

I have those too. I didn't think they were necesarily a bad thing. Darn. I have corals coming in in the next couple of days too.

Koral krazy (reefer 365)

I don't think "chemicals" are a good way of cleaning any kinds of organisms out of your tank. Try cooking it first.

I had these not long after setting up my tank.

They did multiply like crazy for a while, then suddenly were all gone. I think a Peppermint Shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni cleaned them out.

I do NOT recommend getting a Peppermint Shrimp however, nasty things that will turn to trouble on you sooner or later.

I don't recall them stinging any corals, but I did not have all thay many when the hydroids were present.

Here is a pic:

DSCN0176.jpg

• 7 months later...

Reviving this topic because I have an issue with these guys.

I had one hitch in quite a while ago. Didn't know what it was. Didn't really bother to check it out because I assumed it was harmless -- stupid move. Fast-forward 4 months and I've got 20 or 30 of these dudes floating around at night, and they do really do a number on coral if they're in constant contact with them. I've seen them irritate some of my corals to the point of tissue loss.

I've tried pulling them out as close to the base as possible, and that doesn't do the job unless you're a surgeon and can get the whole thing clean. I've kalk'd a few of them with reasonable success. BUT there are many that I just can't reasonably (think busting up rock) get to. I am so so so frustrated with these things.

I almost feel like I'm neglecting the tank because I can't get these guys under control. The folks over at web media said they have very specific predators (or hinted that they do). They wanted a hi-res pic and area of origin, and I've had trouble getting both those things for them. Do you guys have any idea what these predators are? I'll try a peppermint if it will eat these ****ing horrible little pests.

Any words of wisdom short of doing a full QT with new rock over to my new tank?

I'm hoping they'll magically disappear one day like so many people have experienced, but after having them for months I'm starting to lose hope in that.

• 1 month later...

Just remembered this thread after killing a digitate hydroid yesterday. If anyone is interested, I used vinegar. I was lucky that the hydroid was on a portion of rock that could be pulled and only partially submersed without effecting any other fauna on other areas of the rock. I soaked it for one minute, then dipped and soaked in RO/DI for two minutes, until I could smell the sea funk smell but no vinegar. Then the rock was immediately replaced and hoards of nassarius and hermits started a violent gang battle over the sizzled digitate remains.

Edit: oh yeah, this rock was once covered in yellow stick polyps, for the last few months 80% of them have detached and floated away or shriveled and died. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I found the hydroid living right in the middle of where they used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully killed a second with the same method, but rather than dipping the rock, I pulled it and injected vinegar into the hydroid's hole and only let it set for 30 seconds, it was obviously dead (hanging out limp) within seconds, it's body looked like a little wet corn cob like the ones that come in chinese food. No sign of return from either, coralline turned white.

I found two more that will need to be attacked under water. I'm going to try the vinegar injection with PHs off.

Anyone have any experience with the parameter changes possible from a mL or two vinegar in <8gl saltwater? I'll be sure to do an immediate WC but don't want to do anything drastic when there are other options. My second plan is to paste them in with superglue gel.

• 2 weeks later...
Successfully killed a second with the same method, but rather than dipping the rock, I pulled it and injected vinegar into the hydroid's hole and only let it set for 30 seconds, it was obviously dead (hanging out limp) within seconds, it's body looked like a little wet corn cob like the ones that come in chinese food. No sign of return from either, coralline turned white.

I found two more that will need to be attacked under water. I'm going to try the vinegar injection with PHs off.

Anyone have any experience with the parameter changes possible from a mL or two vinegar in <8gl saltwater? I'll be sure to do an immediate WC but don't want to do anything drastic when there are other options. My second plan is to paste them in with superglue gel.

Hi there - I have a bout 10 of these things in my CURED live rock from the pet store. Appear to be the same thing. can you confirm? My intention os to set up a soft coral tank and I am worried about what these guys will do to them. Have about 8-10 on my second day?

post-33541-1199989479_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

are these safe in a tank? I got a piece of live rock from a store. It had a few of these on them, now they're everywhere in my tank. Do I need to worry about them? If so will any crabs,etc. take care of them? thanks.

I used to bug out about them a lot when I had my first tank, but I gave into them over time. Never noticed an issue either. My new philosophy is to forget about it unless I see one next to a coral that is having problems.

IME, they are not really dangerous to anything larger than a pod. They may irritate some corals, but since they only extend at night, most corals are retracted.

Archived