Top Shelf Aquatics

New AGA 20 Long Mixed Reef Setup

Rift-Reef

I like the sliding door action! Looks very practical for access...as long as they have clearance on the sides.

Thanks.

I still have to go over to my parents house and borrow my dad's router so that I can make a finger pull area on the back outside edges of the doors. The doors have about 1/16-1/8th clearance from the rest of the cabinet. (edit: You probably meant clearance from other objects near the stand.) I attached aluminum u channel stock to the top and bottom trim as a track for the doors to slide in.

I ordered my lighting today. I like my Sunpod so I decided to stick with Current and give their Nova Extreme T5 HO Retrofit kits a try. I got two kits off of E-Bay for $217 Shipped. Each kit comes with a 10,000K and a 460nm Actinic bulb and individual German parabolic reflectors. I was looking at the Sunlight Supply retros but it would have cost me about $80 more for the bulbs that I wanted with them.

• 2 years later...

Had to sell the retro kits and pumps in the fall of 07' to get some cash.

I have since bought 2 Tek 24" retro kits and 2 ATI Aquablue+, 1 Fiji Purple and 1 UV Super Actinic.

My return pump is a Quiet One 2200 and I'll have 2 Koralia nano's in the tank initially.

I bought an overflow from glass-holes. And I'll have 2, 3/4" returns fed by the 2200 and a SCWD.

I'll be using water from my current 12g Nano-Cube and moving the rock from that tank to seed the new setup. I'm going to be ordering some dry base rock from either Marco or Premium Aquatics.

Here's a picture of where I'm at on the new stand. My old one was badly constructed and both the display tank and the sump would not sit flush on the bottom rim of the tanks.

post-50631-1266706308_thumb.jpg

I thought this was a goner!

Glad to see you're still at it and can't wait to see how it turns out... I am sure it will be awesome based on the amount of thought put into it.

After the first coat of poly.

The side panels are birch plywood. The trim and the doors and hood are all aspen.

post-50631-1266797586_thumb.jpg

post-50631-1266797601_thumb.jpg

post-50631-1266797625_thumb.jpg

I thought this was a goner!

Glad to see you're still at it and can't wait to see how it turns out... I am sure it will be awesome based on the amount of thought put into it.

Reefing was pretty low on my priorities last year. I almost lost my cube during the ice storm last winter and I really let my tank go. I'm back at it full force now and determined to get this done!!

I like the new stand - are you going to do the sliding doors on this one too?

Thanks,

The sliding doors were a cool idea, but they just didn't work as well as I had planned.

I'm going with hidden european hinges on regular doors with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived