Top Shelf Aquatics

GSP receeding...

halfpint

I've got a rock covered in GSP (who would've thought?!!) and it is covered 100% with it. It has resided in my 12g NC with 48w PC for 3 years. I just moved it to my 26g bowfront month before last and now I've been noticing the GSP is receeding. I have been watching it like a hawk and haven't seen anything on it. I've even popped in on it at 4am with a flashlight and still haven't seen anything. It's under 150w MH and is on the sand, so I don't suspect that it's getting too much light. Or is it possible that it is too much light? It's still opening mostly and colorful as ever, but every day, more is gone.

I also had a frag of GSP in the tank at one time and it disappeared about a month after putting it in the tank. Is there anything that anyone can think of that might be eating the GSP? I also have a pair of FL Ricordias, a Toadstool leather, too much Kenya tree, and some scattered mushrooms, but nothing else is getting eaten and everything esle is growing fast. My params are all nice and stable. Any ideas?

I'll try to get a picture of it on here tomorrow.

hnm...well...when i noticed my gsp colony was dying, it was cuz the salinity was way high...lol...

but uh...maybe it's getting too much flow? not sure since you moved it to the front.

all i know is that gsp is really anal -_-

I thought GSP was really hardy. My salenity is a little low, but nothing to freak out about. I've been working on raising it over the past week slowly. That might be what it is.

Forgot to get that picture.

I did a water change today, and over the past weeks, I have gotten the SG to normal and all other params are normal. My skimmer did quit on me who knows how long ago. I got it working again. Is it possible that the decrease in O2 levels could cause it to be unhappy? Also, the toadstool leather isn't extending it tentacles. They've been retracted for 4 days now. I'm beginning to get a little worried. Everything else is happy. Just the GSP and leather aren't happy.

SeeDemTails

GSPs are one of the hardiest corals I have ever seen.

And they cant get too much flow or light in my experience.

Do you have a peppermint shrimp?

djchristone

hehe i noticed gsp was always the first to react if something was starting to go wrong with it :) which means i always keep a small frag of it around :)

test your water and tell us

GSPS are picky corals. They love lots of flow and will really take off when you put them in the path of a powerhead or outflow. Sometimes they'll just close up for a few days for no reason. I've found that usually they receed due to salinity.

davidhughes85

humm im having teh same problem...gsp and leather not comming out..just found out i had nitrates today too...maybe you should check your parameters

Alright, last night the leather started opening up under moonlights. Today, it's fully open. Which has taken a huge load off my back. The gsp is stil opening partially and doesn't seem to be receding any more that I can see. There's still a lot that has disappeared. I actually don't have a alk/calc test kit, but I will test all other params and post the results. Since the skimmer is running again, do you think it might have just been the decrease in O2 in the water?

GSP.png

That's the GSP rock two months ago, when it was first introduced. I'll take a shot of it now and post it in a bit.

I just took these shots a few minutes ago. The rock was 100% covered in GSP a month ago.

4catt85.jpg

47ucff6.jpg

Archived