Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Waratah help

coldshutter

Just got one on a hermit crab. He's like the size of a quarter. He crawled up the glass and is hanging upsidedown from the lip of the tank. Im not really sure what the need to be happy. I have a crowded reef in a 12NC with MH lights. Just wondering if hes gonna need anything. Or should I scoop him out and bring him back. I dont want to kill him. Water perfect. temp 75, should it be lower.

Water shoooooooould be colder, but all of the suppliers keep their tanks at 75+, so... it may or may not live.

He might eat some stuff... since they aren't fully photosynthetic. My waratah tank has just the nems and a few snails [which I'm expecting to die eventually] Mine eat frozen krill and guppies. He may look like the size of a quarter...but after a meal they get HUGE.

We're trying to figure out if it actually is a waratah...

It's highly unlikely that a coldwater species from australia attatched to a warmwater species from the gulf or the pacific.

Suppliers are very specific about how they keep their animals before they are shipped and sold and it is highly unlikely that there was this kind of cross contamination.

Is identical to picts seen on adinsxq's thread. I think it jumped onto the hermit in LFS tank.

Is there an anemone that looks just like a waratah?

If you move it around & it doesn't like where you put it, it'll just go on the move again. Plus you run the risk of injuring it while trying to move it. It's not going to just let go of the side & land in your GSP, unless it dies I guess, in which case your GSP would be fine. Plus, GSP is pretty much bullet-proof, isn't it? It's not every day that one gets a neat anemone hitchiker. Just give the little guy a break 'til the kind folks here help you figure out which species it is. :)

I'd be scared, even though they are bullet proof. Waratahs pack quite the punch. I've never seen anemones stick to a plastic bag and my hands like these. They also grab onto live fish like it's their job [even better than carpets :o ]

Deff is a waratah. Is it going to breed 75 degrees?

You saying 'Deff is a waratah' means nothing, a lot of them look like other species..

But, y'know, I'm just trying to help. I won't bother I guess.

whoa you guys are moody. Alls I was saying is that I talked to the guy that ordered it and he assured me that it was a waratah. Relax Im not doubting yall. BTW is that robot avitar from that site, "burning dog" I think I remeber something like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived