SaltCritters.com

I can't go to bed after seeing this.......

NAL

I am going to order this stuff....

-3G Picotope Tank

-50w Stealth Heater

-AC20

Where do I get the live sand/rock from? I couldn't find anything that small online.

I have a freshwater tank right now with a dwarf puffer. I have never done anythign with SW though.

Does anyone have a site I could look at for how to set up saltwater? I need to know how much salt to add and stuff.

Any advice???

Reverse Logic
I am going to order this stuff....

-3G Picotope Tank

-50w Stealth Heater

-AC20

Where do I get the live sand/rock from? I couldn't find anything that small online.

I also have the 3g picotope and I had to buy live sand by the pound from one of my two local fish stores. Hopefully you have one close enough to you so you dont have to buy a ten pound bag and wonder what to do with the other 7 or so pounds . . . Same thing with the live rock. I'm just blessed to be within walking distance of an amazing LFS. I'm spoiled.

-Reverse

A lfs would be a good place to get lr for your tank. I would look for one nice, porous, well shaped rock. If you know anyone else living nearby with a reef tank, maybe they would be willing to give you some live sand. Just my.02 :)

I also have the 3g picotope and I had to buy live sand by the pound from one of my two local fish stores. Hopefully you have one close enough to you so you dont have to buy a ten pound bag and wonder what to do with the other 7 or so pounds . . . Same thing with the live rock. I'm just blessed to be within walking distance of an amazing LFS. I'm spoiled.

-Reverse

Well that's cool. I have 2 with in 1/2 hour with SW. How much sand did you need?

I have read alot of stuff this morning. How do you do the whole adding the salt. Any tips or technics?

Has anyone ordered from here? http://www.tbsaltwater.com/

Just incase my LFS won't sell per pound, cuz they will.

Follow the directions on the salt mix. You will need a refractometer, or a hydrometer. Refractometers are best according to everyone who has one.

For a 3g, I would just buy distilled or RO water.

Well both fls have live rocks and sand. So here is my current buying list

-3G Picotope

-50W Stealth Heater

-AC20 Filter

-RO water

-Salt

-Hydrometer

-SW test kit (API mester kit cuz I like there freshwater)

Anything else I need?

I would make the sand at most 1"... anything more and your looking for trouble.

Make sure and mix the salt and water with nothing in the tank or where ever you are mixing.

Don't buy any livestock yet!

Don't dose anything you don't test for.

Ask questions before you buy anything..... seriously anything!

I would go for an AC50 at least on that to increase water volume.

Welcome

Oh and check out www.premiumaquatics.com they can get you what you want most of the time like small cool looking rocks for a small tank. Just let them know what you are doing and they will help the best they can.

look into the finnex titanium heaters.... tiny so you can place it in the filter and get it out of the display plus they have external controls. I have 5 or 6 different sized ones in tanks and love them

thanks everyone.....

That is a good idea for the heater, I love it.

Ya i won't buy any livestock yet, it has to be cycled first.

Do some people use an undergravel filter for picotopes?

And what are the lighting mods I can do with this to get higher wattage? Anyone know where to get a PC bulb for this specific light?

The only thing I don't really get is how to make the filter into a refuge. I get the concept, but does anyone have a step by step on how to do it? Is this something I need to do, or should do?

avalanche1201

its pretty easy...just rip out the insides (ie carbon sponge etc) and throw in some LS, LR rubble and some filter floss to catch debris leaving the tank..and u got urself a HOB fuge.

At least im 99% sure on thats what you do, ive read it be4 and I might do it to my 100gph HOB filter for my tank (Same as urs) and leave the stock one for mechanical filtration (ie carbon etc)

No UGF on saltwater period IMO

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=259

Not sure the length of the tank or lighting on the tank but this is probibly more than stock.

I have the same light on my 3g picotope. It is pretty good. Will sustain softies and some LPS but is not powerful enough for SPS to thrive. Because of that, I am upgrading to a 70W metal halide. I have gotten good growth out of my zoo's with this light.

its pretty easy...just rip out the insides (ie carbon sponge etc) and throw in some LS, LR rubble and some filter floss to catch debris leaving the tank..and u got urself a HOB fuge.

At least im 99% sure on thats what you do, ive read it be4 and I might do it to my 100gph HOB filter for my tank (Same as urs) and leave the stock one for mechanical filtration (ie carbon etc)

So use the stock filter for a mechanical filter with carbon, then use the AC50 for a hob fuge?

avalanche1201

yeah. Im probally going to wind up doing the same thing once I get better lighting, b/c then I could use the stock light for the Fuge

Archived