Top Shelf Aquatics

detrious build up

firstimereefer

firstimereefer

Well i was taking apart some of my liverock because I just lost a fish and needed to find it and what do I find huge detrious build up in between my live rock. I took almost everything out of the tank and put into a tub until i get home from work and I can syphon it all out. I also just recieved my new MJ-400 and hydor flo to run along with the built in pump. Is there any other way to prevent this from happening. I got the tank used with the sand in it, so it has been hard to bury the live rock. There are still a few pieces of live rock in the tank right now with the fish in it. I have the heater going with a small air pump in the tub and the tank. Please help.

Flow and more flow will circulate it perpetually. You need to physically remove it via some sort of cannister filter to "suck up" the mulm and debris. Others have talked about the hurricane effect, whereby you take something like a turkey baster and mimic the effects of a hurricane. This stirs up the debris and causes some of the filter-feeding corals to consume some if it. I usually then do a larger than normal water change shortly therafter and follow it up with a cannister filter running activated carbon and or Phosguard. The animals may look stressed for a few hours but usually end up expanded more and the next day look healthier. This is all part of the natural cycles on the ref and other than aesthetically unpleasing is actually quite useful. Change the floss in the cannister if it does not clear for you and everything should be fine.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Add detritovores like cucumbers and the like to sift the sand and that will help too.

firstimereefer

All my levels were at the proper levels, I am not sure what happened. I test bi-weekly and there were no abnormal spikes. Well I did a complete over hall of the tank. I did add in my MJ-400 pluse the hydor flow and it seems to be doing a good job all the fish and corals are a little in shock as my tank comes back to normal. I did break some live rock so that it fits better and i have a more open flow to the tank now. I syphoned all the detrius up this afternoon. I think this should help, and i actually like the look more.

i use a turkey baster to "blow" out the detrius from behind and on the rock creveses, when i do water changes. this helps to dislodge all the junk. i then run a foam pad in my overflow to catch all the visible junk while its suspended in the water column... to lenghten the turkey baster cut it in half then use a clear siphon tube (the ones freshwater undergravel filters use) to slip over the cut ends. 3 different basters i have used have all fit the tubes. this keeps my hands out of the water.

I also use the turkey baster method which I like to call storming the tank. I try to do it at least once a week with no adverse effects on the tank inhabitants. As far as moving the rockwork all the time this in my opinion is a bad idea. The tank inhabitants will never become established, especially if coral is involved. Just my opinion though. One great thing about this hobby is that there are a lot of ways to successfully do things.

firstimereefer

Well I already completed the change in the rock work, but I will do the use the turkey baster to get in the cracks and holes once a week. That is a great idea THANKS.

Archived