Cultivated Reef

DIY 70watt Metal Halide under $50

Socalsuperhero

Socalsuperhero

So, the DIY metal halide has been discussed ad nauseum, but I felt that I had to post this because under $50 is pretty significant. Here's the basics that everyone else pretty much already knows:

300w Halogen security light = $6.99

Electronic Ballast = $30 ($25 this time, thanks to a fellow reefer)

But, I hate dropping bucks on bulbs, so i figured I would give these a shot. For $15 you get a 70w 14k bulb from China branded WZG. For me, it seems worth it to at least give it a try at that price.

Here's a pic of the light thrown together (two of these will be going in a hood with 10k/20k or 14k/20k)

Img_3626_sm.jpg

And here's the light over the tank (yes, I'm just holding it). Looks pretty good so far, but I'll wait to pass judgment on it until l see how things grow under it.

Img_3628_sm.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, I hate dropping bucks on bulbs, so i figured I would give these a shot. For $15 you get a 70w 14k bulb from China branded WZG. For me, it seems worth it to at least give it a try at that price.

SCSH

Thanks for the link on the bulbs, I've been looking for a budget 10K 70W for my NC24 Viv. That may just do the trick. Keep us updated on the light level of the bulb after you get some burn-in time.

Rick

Socalsuperhero
Ballast looks eerily familiar :D

Have to let me know how you like those bulbs...been looking at them on ebay.

I know I'm not the only one who owes you a big thanks! You are definitely my hero for making mh ballasts available to the nano masses :happy:

Ballast looks eerily familiar :D
I know I'm not the only one who owes you a big thanks! You are definitely my hero for making mh ballasts available to the nano masses :happy:

some people owe a double thanks to BruiseAndy ... :happydance: ... :happydance:

I don't mean to be a twit, but how much was shipping for those bulbs? Only thing I could find was like $21.00 for each bulb? Is that correct or is it cheaper?

Socalsuperhero
I don't mean to be a twit, but how much was shipping for those bulbs? Only thing I could find was like $21.00 for each bulb? Is that correct or is it cheaper?

I ordered the bulbs from the link I posted above. I used the slow shipping and it was only $3.50 I think--got here in two weeks.

is there any way to get our hands on any more of those ballasts? I wouldn't mind picking up one of those. what is the brand and why are they so cheap. where did you get them BruiseAndy?

I bought them in a lot from a lost freight person. Checked with them and they don't have anymore. Ballasts are made by vossloh-schwabe for aromat. Seemed to work out ok for everyone as I only heard of one problem and it ended up being crappy wire in a hologen light.

I ordered a 70W 10K hqi lamp from reefshops.com, the link that Socalsuperhero gave us. It seems like such a great deal for under $18...shipped.

I’m tempted to order a 70W 14K hqi lamp from them so I can compare the light output with some other 14K lamps. I have a 70w 14k hqi lamp from LampDR (imported from Taiwan...$39.00 shipped). I also have an AstraLux 14k 70w hqi lamp that I ordered a while back. If I ever get around to working on my 7G 2.70W SPS tank I’ll do a visual comparison on the light output of at least the two lamps I already have and post the results.

-Rick

Got my 2x70w going with the wzg bulbs, 10k/20k.

The light looks really good, not too blue.

Did you make two separate light fixtures? or did you put two lamps in one fixture?

I want to put two lamps in one fixture for my 7G 2.70W, because it will be an open top tank.

Socalsuperhero
The light looks really good, not too blue.

Did you make two separate light fixtures? or did you put two lamps in one fixture?

I want to put two lamps in one fixture for my 7G 2.70W, because it will be an open top tank.

I just put two fixtures in.

I have got to get a light meter. My eyes really suck as far as telling light intensity, unless it's like the difference between a candle and the sun. Darn pupils.

How did you put two lamps in one fixture?

throw in a mcmuffin? oh wait no, thats for 2 fatties in a phone booth.

No you cant put two lamps in one fixture which has one set of endcaps, you will need two sets of endcaps, one for each lamp.

Noob question, How did you put two lamps in one fixture?

You have to have two sets of end caps

throw in a mcmuffin? oh wait no, thats for 2 fatties in a phone booth.

No you cant put two lamps in one fixture which has one set of endcaps, you will need two sets of endcaps, one for each lamp.

I was at HD and noticed a halogen work light with two bulbs,

that's what gave me the idea of a DIY fixture with two 70 watt MH lamps.

the first pic looks more like a 10k, or a phoenix 14k on a magnetic ballast. the astralux bulb (that i paid $50 bucks for...the price of this whole kit!) is a much nicer blue IMO, more like a hamilton 14k. good job on finding cheap parts, though...i'm tempted to pick up another one...

Archived