Innovative Marine Aquariums

feather duster loosing its crown!

Sinful

This is natural. Sometimes they just lose their crown. Mine lost its crown for no reason about a week ago and it is growing back. just wait and it will grow back. Sometimes they will lose their crowns if tey are being picked at.

I don't think its natural like fish freak said. I believe they lose their crowns if they feel stressed. If you recently moved him or hes picked at or not getting enough food, that may have caused him to lose it or begin to lose it. In my exp. the crown completely comes off and re-grows eventually but its a very slow proccess

Dropping thier crowns is often a sign of starvation in featherdusters. The new crown it grows back will be smaller if it's not getting enought food. It may drop the crown several times, each time growing back a smaller one until it dies.

Or like the other said it could be getting picked on or is stressed. If the worm is still alive it'll grow a new crown in a couple of weeks. Keep a close eye on it and if it looks smaller you might what to increase the amount of phytoplankton you're feeding.

LabJunkieReefer

They've got it. :) It's more likely than not stress induced, whether it be starvation or being picked on. I'd think that it's being picked on. Was its crown damage or look somewhat frayed before it dropped? Where is the duster placed? Is it in either a stagnant zone or in a zone with too much flow? Make sure you've placed the duster well, as bad placement could also be stressing it out. Is its tube secure in a safe place so that it can retreat properly, etc? Basically, if you were a feather duster, would you be happy where you put it. :) Good luck!

Archived