Cultivated Reef

24G Aquapod HQI Setup

R-3

So Ive been trolling around on these boards looking at all of these awesome nanos. Ive been looking at all of the possible options and decided to get a 24G Aquapod. I like the open top option with the HQI. So this is the start of my thread.

Heres a pic of the tank empty in a temp. spot by my TV till I get my stand tomorrow.

DSC06025.jpg

Much more to come. Later Ryan

how many watts is the halide?

i'm guessing he went the same as mine, 150.

Ryan, i use Tropic Marin regular as the Pro is designed for use with a calcium reactor. I add more calcium to my water mix to bump it up to 400 ppm. what are your stocking plans?

Funny story with the HQI. My LFS ordered the wrong one. I got the 70. So when the 150 Sunpod comes in I get it. He also knocked off a little bit too. Im not too worried as long as it dosent take too long.

As for stocking EZ it will go like this.

Fish-

Percula

Yellow watchman goby

?

LPS-

2 Types of frogspawn

NEON NEON Green candy cane

Teal Candy cane

3 different types of blastos

SPS-

Green slimer frag

2 blue acro frags

Pink Mili

More to come

Softies-

Neon Green Kenya tree

GSP

Lots of zoos

RBTA

Clams-

?

Thats about it right now. I wanna add one more fish but havent decided yet. I really like the 6-line I used to have :( All of the stuff listed I already have coming from a existing tank.

You know Ive never got much into Live. I do have Call of Duty 2 though. I dont play that 360 much anymore, I feel kinda bad :) My bro-in-law comes over and he has a live account and we use it sometimes.

One thing I kinda wanted everyones opinion on. When I got to fill this should I take some water from my 90? Like 10G or so? Im gonna use some extra live rock I got thats in my 90 already. I was just wondering if this would kinda shorten the cycle a bit. Or should I just stick with the rock? I kinda wanna start all over using Tropic Marin salt. Just wondering. Later Ryan

Also Ive seen people use the Tunze Nano 9002 skimmer in the back section of the Pod. I know it fits but what I am wondering about is where to put a extra powerhead for flow? Usually it goes underneath where the Tunze Nano skimmer goes. It seems like a nice skimmer and would like to use it. Later Ryan

i think that if you used some water from your 90 tht would help, maybe even a piece or live rock that you can give up could go in the aquapod, and speed it up.

I really like this Pod though. I dont have to worry about floods (knock on wood) and its small!

While watching the Ucks lose to the Cougs (GO BRONCO) I started to fill the tank with SW. I also added two pieces (app. 15 lbs) of LR. I have two more pieces to go in. One is kinda a shelf piece and the other is a arc. I should have more water made tomorrow to do a big water change on the 90 and then I can take that rock out.

I took out the stock pump and put a MJ1200 in its place. I think this is a must. The stock pump says it puts out 300GPH (yeah right) and uses 40W!! So Im able to run both MJ1200's for the same wattage!

Heres a pic of the tank w/ lights.

DSC06040.jpg

Im gonna go with just one locline for know and see how it does.

DSC06043.jpg

Yeah I was gonna put the heater back there but was waiting for more water to mix up. Its in the back now. Yeah the rockwork does look kinda funny :) I have two more pieces to add and some aquascaping to do. Later Ryan

So I thought I would have some time off during the holiday weekend. HAHA!! No I had a great Christmas. Left the tank alone till last night. I added another piece of LR from my 90 and attempted to aquascape. I also moved some corals in. They are kinda just thrown in there right now till I get the final aquascaping done. Heres some pics.

FTS

DSC06064.jpg

Blue Rics

DSC06083.jpg

NEON Green Candy Cane

DSC06067.jpg

Red Blasto

DSC06081.jpg

I still have more to add. 2 frogspawns, couple more zoos, palys, couple SPS frags and a small clam.

Heres a pic with the rest of the stuff. Only thing that is not in there is my Yellow Watchman. Later Ryan

DSC06101.jpg

DSC06105.jpg

Theres a closeup of that RBTA. Later Ryan

ximmortaldeathx

Woe! awesome pics,

I'm getting my aquapod tonight with 150W HQI. I am a bit surprised of how quickly you put things in the water, Does that mean that you cycled your tank in 15 days or so?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :)

I took water from my 90 that I am taking down. I used about 50-60% from the 90 and the rest is new. I also took all they LR from my 90. Later Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

Heres some updates. Tank is lookin really good. I just added a pair of yellow clown gobies today and a cleaner shrimp. Heres some pics.

Heres the clown gobies just chillin.

DSC06151.jpg

A pic of a tri-color I got from a local club member. The tips look a lot more purple in person.

DSC06152.jpg

Archived