Cultivated Reef

Sea hare/Hair algae live testing with pics.

Tony

So after a couple of months with hair algae growing like crazy in my tank I have broke down a got a sea hare. All water parramenters are perfect, light cycle is 9 hours, and temp is stable withing 1deg. I will be posting pics soon of how the tank looks now and will update pics as the sea hare does his thing, so now we will get to see how effective a sea hare is at eating hair algae.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

my moneys on the "why didnt i do this sooner? but now what am i gonna feed it" :)

pass it on to an lfs or fellow reefer when its finished his job :)alot have a 1 year lifespan anyway . and dont forget to protect all intakes.

so just a quick update. day three. I have a few different types of macro in my tank but really want this sea hare to eat the hair algae, and although it is grazzing on it the creature is hardly making short work of the task. It has only been a few days although so I will report on it's progress later.

I wish my sea hare would have acclimated to my tank. He became a tasty treat to my hermits and cleaner shrimp. I hear such wonderful things about them. If it doesn't work out, try a mexican turbo snail for you GHA problem. I added two mexicans to my 10 gallon with a RHA problem and I have noticed spots of RHA completely desecrated.

Well experiment is off for now since I found it sucked into a rio 90 powerhead this morning. The little intake slots are tinyon the rio 90 so how does a sea hare get sucked into that?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

sea hares have the ability to turn thier skin into a liquid. they basicly pour themselves into live rock. or a pump in your case. :(

My sea hair was very inexpencive, i saw someone say something about money to buy one, it was 9.95 in dallas tx, and it took out a massive problem with my tank in a matter of a week. I started noticing it burying itself in the sand after the hair was gone, and I gave it back for the same price...!

lovely little creatures, except my gfriend got attached and was ###ed when it was gone...

one thing I noticed the other day was that my check valve on the return was a little blocked up so I removed the valve completely and things are starting to look a little better but I might have to buy another hare for good measure.

one thing I noticed the other day was that my check valve on the return was a little blocked up so I removed the valve completely and things are starting to look a little better but I might have to buy another hare for good measure.

Tony - if you're looking for an inexpensive way to cover your intakes and such, here's what I did with my tank...

Fiberglass Screening

EDIT: I am not sure how small your filter holes are on your rio? If they are too small, then I would think about getting a black filter sponge at your LFS.

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a sea hare for a hair algae problem. Amazing. The little guy started sucking down hair algae immediately. I'm not talking nibbling..I'm talking sucking down big chunks of hair algae with every gulp. I've been to several shops over the last few weeks trying to figure out how to get rid of the hair algae and none until today recommended a sea hare (maybe they didn't stock them?). After watching this guy munch on this stuff for the last hour, I can't belive that "Sea Hare" isn't the first thing out of their mouths. He's literally picked cleaned a small (3" diameter) candy cane coral that was covered with hair algae....and I"m not kidding..he hasn't spent more than 30 mins on this coral...awesome little critter!

I only have a 6gal and at this rate he should clean things up in a few days. I'll repost in a few to give a final analysis of his effectiveness.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the really cool part is....

it doesnt grow back. :) i'm not sure how the completely remove ha but they do. it might have something to do with the ability to liquifi thier skin and basicly pour themselves into the live rock.

Ok..it's 2 days later and the sea hare has made short work of my hair algae. Keep in mind i only have a 6gal but he has already eaten 99% of my hair algae!

A small strand here or there is all that's left. Amazing!

Ok..it's 2 days later and the sea hare has made short work of my hair algae. Keep in mind i only have a 6gal but he has already eaten 99% of my hair algae!

A small strand here or there is all that's left. Amazing!

That's cool to hear. I had some algae problems but my phosban and pruning took care of it. If it comes back I'll get a sea hare.

I just bought a lettuce nudie yesterday for my tank, and unfortunately it got sucked into the intake on my AP12g within about 4 hours after adding it to the tank. It didn't go into the pump and luckily I still keep the sponge in place. I put it back into the display area and it dropped into a cave in the rock work and I haven't seen it since. I really hope my Fridmani Pseudo didn't make a meal out of it during the night. The Nudie WAS moving when I put it back into the tank, though not like it was when I had first added it in... So much for that plan, ehh?? =/

Archived