Top Shelf Aquatics

My Evil Nano Cube of Death

RayWhisperer

Ok, since I just finished the buildup thread in the all in one tanks forum.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...101955&st=0

I figured I would start a thread in the members aquariums forum.

So, here it is.

FTSEvilNC.jpg

This WAS a NC 12 OG. I got an 04 DX canopy from nanotuners.com, stuffed a 150 MH and 12 fans in it. This is what you get.

A rundown of the tank specs....

NC 12 OG tank

Maxi Jet 400 modded into a stream pump

150 watt XM 15,000k metal halide

ARO ballast

Blue cold cathode tube fluorescent lights

Mag 5

Mini Jet 400

Eheim 1048

Stealth 50 watt heater

JBJ ATO

Current Prime 1/15th HP chiller

DIY calcium reactor

Milwaukee PH monitor

6 LBS coarse crushed aragonite ( I couldn't use sand with this kind of current)

7.5 LBS Kalini live rock (one piece)

That's about it. There is a detailed build-up pictorial in the other thread if anyone is interested.

I'll continue updating, and responding to both threads. I just think this forum is more appropriate since I'm done with the build up part.

all comments are welcome.

I'd like to take this time to thank some people.

Chris and Nick at http://www.nanotuners.com/ for supplying my addiction.

Justin at http://www.madfragsonline.com/ for helping me with some DIY parts. (and soon many frags)

Shao-lin nano for sharing his vast mod skills, and lighting the fire under my butt to start this project.

Mr. Fosi for patiently helping me through my various computer issues, and teaching me how to post pics.

And, Nano Bob, for his awesome Millmod skimmer.

That is a seriously cool lookin' piece of rock! Looking forward to seeing the tank grow out after all the hard work you have put into modding it.

Thanks, it took me many many months to find just the right piece! I wanted a one piece, conical shaped rock between 8 and 10 LBS. This one is 7.5 LBS, it was meant to be.

Some close ups of some corals.

Yellowpurplemonti.jpg

These are two of the monti's I have. I can't ID them, so any help would be appreciated. The closer one is a yellow base with blueish purple polyps. The farther one is pink with whiteish polyps. If you look to the far right, you can see a superman monti. It's just starting to color up.

light-purplemonti.jpg

This one is similar to the one above, but has a much lighter base, and darker purple polyps. Another monti I have no idea what it is.

Purplemonti.jpg

This one is similar to super man monti, but is much more purple with purple/red polyps. Again, any idea?

chartmilli.jpg

This is the most intense chartruce milli I have ever seen. The pic does it no justice.

Lightgreenmonti.jpg

Here's another monti I have no clue. It's a light green base with whiteish polyps.

SPS.jpg

I don't know what these two are either. The closer has a dark steely blue base, the polyps are brown at the moment, but are showing some signs of blueing up. The one set farther back has a lighter blue base, while the polyps range from blue to purple to brown. We'll see what they turn out to be.

SPS1.jpg

The closer is a really bright blue acro. The one set farther back is blue with dark blue/purple polyps. It's also an acro, but hasn't had any polyp extention.

That's all for now.

Awesome rock Ray. I just spent a small fortune on the perfect piece of rock for my 18g tall soon to be dwarf seahorse tank. 9.5 lbs at $15.99/lb. :mellow: But, it has two different types of red macro, feather caulerpa, another unidentified green macro (thick and woody), halimeda, three yellow ball sponges, two large mollusks, and excellent coralline coverage. I figured, what the heck! I would probably end up spending more trying to buy and ship all that. Plus, it is the perfect shape for a stand alone rock. It also has a hydroid (I plan to nuke), an unidentified snail, and a tiny, unidentified, hairy crab (so far). I'm really stoked about the macros!

Thanks.

Any pics of that rock? I'm a real fan of stand alone rock work. I've done two of my tanks this way.

Drop me a PM regarding macros.

Thanks to you too Adin.

Cliff, it should look great.

Adin, Justin is a friend of mine. He has really nice stuff, and prices to boot. If your in the market for anything, give him a chance. He's just starting out, but knows his corals. I have high hopes for him. BTW, I see just below your av, that you miss Gil..... Whatever happened to him?

This title caught my satanic attention :)

That rock is just awesome. Your tank will look sooooo bad @$$ once everything starts to grow in!

LOL! :lol::lol:

Your Satanic attention eh? :lol: Too funny!

Well, I'm not Satanic, but I appreciate it, none the less! Thanks! ;)

I got some goodies from http://www.madfragsonline.com/

Lets begin with a FTS, shall we? :lol:

FTSEvil2.jpg

rightevil.jpg

Now for some closer shots.

chartrucemonti.jpg

Ever seen a monti so green? B)

Monticorner.jpg

See that little monti? I'm not sure what kind it is, but it's really sweet. It's light blue with orange polyps.

midrightevil.jpg

The milli center picture is really sweet. It's maroon and green. It's got a bit to go, but I saw the mother colony.

Acro1.jpg

This deep purple acro is awesome.

rightbottomevil.jpg

Most of these are mine, and have yet to color up. But the green deep water acro came from madfrags too.

rightevil.jpg

Check out that stylo. It's pink with blueish polyps.

I got alot more, just some need a bit of time to color up. I saw all the mother colonies, they are really sweet. Compare the older FTS to get an idea of just how much I got. All without breaking the bank.

Old

FTSEvilNC.jpg

New

FTSEvil2.jpg

Thanks.

I want to keep a barnacle blenny, and something else, I'm just not sure what yet. If it's gobies, I think I'd go with neon cleaner gobies. That is, unless, Madfrags gets me that black sailfin goby.

• 3 weeks later...

Update without pics.

I had a problem with monti eating nudis. It seems I have eliminated them. Only time will tell. Now I have been seeing some flatworms, the bad kind, of course. Yet another battle.

I think I've traced both pests to one LFS. Though I can't be sure, they have both problems that I have, qute bad I might add. I probably won't be doing business with them anymore. I do realize though, it is essentially MY fault. Seeing as I didn't quarantine, or treat anything before introducing it to my tank.

Flatworm battle update....

I dosed the tank once with Flatworm Exit, I figured I killed maybe half the existing population. Two more doses, I think I'll have it done. It's not my favorite thing, using chemicals, but I want this finished.

I just got more frags from http://www.madfragsonline.com/

I'll post a FTS and some close ups of the goodies later in the week.

Archived