Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gallon AGA questions...

ab420

So, I'm going to be setting up a 10 gallon AGA standard nano-reef very soon. I already have live rock and sand that is an occupied tank right now, that will be getting brokend down very soon. I plan to use that stuff, as well as the filter from it, so I shouldn't have any cycle at all.

Now... the problems:

all I have right now is a standard flourescent hood. What are my options for lighting? I really only want to keep some mushrooms and soft corals in here, and I don't want temps to become a huge issue either, and of course the cheaper the better. Basically, I need to know what is the minimum wattage I could get away with in a 10 gallon for soft corals and shrooms? I do want to go with a actinic and 10,000k set up, and may someday add in some night lights, but for right now, simplicity is golden!

I have a cheap HOB filter on the other tank that will go onto this one. It has a filter cartidge (with carbon) as well as some live rock rubble in there, and there will also be an 85 gph powerhead in there, is this good enough for filtration?

Should I be worried about a skimmer?

Get new sand... your old sand is filthy and wont help the cycle...

a 96w quad would work.. or somethng similar

Ditch the old sand? Really? That's the first time I have heard someone say that... For new sand, I would just get regular sand, as the rock will seed it anyways, right?

Do I really need 96 w for just shrooms and soft corals? I figured I could get away with a lot less.

Stephen-in-Va
Ditch the old sand? Really? That's the first time I have heard someone say that... For new sand, I would just get regular sand, as the rock will seed it anyways, right?

Do I really need 96 w for just shrooms and soft corals? I figured I could get away with a lot less.

I felt the same way. I had and all glass hood with 2 20 watt 50/50 bulbs installed. I bought a new 96 watt aqualight this evening. Take a look at the pics I posted in the "members" forum. I've noticed a HUGE difference in my softies since adding the light. It may not be necessary. Or it may not even be required. But after seeing the effects of the 96 watt light after a short period of time. It should have been the first thing I purchased. Even after paying way more than I should have by buying it locally. My corals seem to love it and that's enough for me to justify spending for it.

That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Use the sand from your established aquariam.. It already will be seeded with the bacteria that will help so much.

Thats like saying dont use live rock from your tank.. Most people who setup new aqauriams get like a scoop of sand from the pet store or a local reefer to SEED ontop of their sand to help the bacteria to spread.

Idiots.

That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Use the sand from your established aquariam.. It already will be seeded with the bacteria that will help so much.

Thats like saying dont use live rock from your tank.. Most people who setup new aqauriams get like a scoop of sand from the pet store or a local reefer to SEED ontop of their sand to help the bacteria to spread.

Idiots.

Yea, I thought the established sand would be helpful... thanks for your input, I think I'm gonna use it, it will help jumpstart my bacteria and pod colonies

beyondtheblue
Get new sand... your old sand is filthy and wont help the cycle...

a 96w quad would work.. or somethng similar

OMFG...over 5k posts and you post this crap? lol I have got nothing else to say. :lol:

You dont need the 96W light to keep what you are looking to keep.

You will however want to upgrade almost immediatly and kick yourself in the face for not buying the better light in the first place.

I would get a more powerful powerhead as well. You can get them for under 20 online for great ones.

I have recently put a JBJ dual output PH in my 10gal and love the increased flow. Its rated at 240gph.

I am also running an AC50 with live rock and a wisper with carbon and sometimes purigen.

Check out the link in my sisnature of the 10gal AGA

OMFG...over 5k posts and you post this crap? lol I have got nothing else to say. :lol:

Irrefutable proof that number of posts does not correlate to value of posts...

I have a 10 gal AGA nano.

I use a 96 watt quad, Rio 90 PH, Skilter 250 with airstone, visitherm stealth 150W heater, hagen surface skimmer.

I have had grea results with this setup! I keep softies and SPS(do not attempt unless you know what you are doing!)

So, the tank has been running for a few days now with the live rock and sand in there. The water parameters are all perfect, and other than some algae, the tank is spotless. I still have NOT upgraded the lights, so I'm running a pathetic 15 watt flourescent hood on there for now. I will be getting the 96 watt Coralife before I start adding any corals or anything that needs a lot of light. Today, I am going to get a couple hermits and some snails to start cleaning up the algae. Once I get the new light I will start adding some shrooms, and eventually a shrimp and a fish. I really would like to get some Harlequin shrimps, but I can't find a whole lot of info on them. Has anyone ever had these before?

So, the tank has been running for a few days now with the live rock and sand in there. The water parameters are all perfect, and other than some algae, the tank is spotless. I still have NOT upgraded the lights, so I'm running a pathetic 15 watt flourescent hood on there for now. I will be getting the 96 watt Coralife before I start adding any corals or anything that needs a lot of light. Today, I am going to get a couple hermits and some snails to start cleaning up the algae. Once I get the new light I will start adding some shrooms, and eventually a shrimp and a fish. I really would like to get some Harlequin shrimps, but I can't find a whole lot of info on them. Has anyone ever had these before?

Once you get your new light you will see how much quicker algae grows.. Thank god for CUC :D . ..

I dont have any info on those shrimp sorry...

Don't forget to post pics of the tank! :D

I run 80 watts on my AGA ten gallon tank, but I used to run a 2x28w retrofit, and it still runs well. I have been trying to sell it, it has four month old 10,000k and actinic bulbs. It runs on a 56 watt ballast. With 56 total watts you could easily keep some mushrooms and softies. I had tree corals and mushrooms go crazy under those lights. Just Pm me for pricing if you decide that you want them.

why dont try the satelite 40watts, i think you can grow those coral with that kind of setup

If you for a low end light in your tank you will kick yourself in the ass when you decide to upgrade. You will spend for the low light and then the high priced light.

If anything get the Retro from Al if its a good price.. I would go with the 96watts.. Coralife has a light for about $100...

All im saying is do your research you will want to upgrade once you start. :)

Yea, I'm not gonna mess around, I'm just going to get some serious lighting. I went to the LFS today to get a small CUC, but they didn't have much there. I ended up with a turbo snail and 6 blue legged hermits. They have been working away for the past few hours cleaning the algae off the rocks. I'm still not sure what kind of fish will go in here. I was thinking about some kind of Goby, not sure which yet, and either a couple Harlequin shrimp or a Cleaner shrimp. I will try to get some pics soon to show you, although there's not much to se yet...

Yea, I'm not gonna mess around, I'm just going to get some serious lighting. I went to the LFS today to get a small CUC, but they didn't have much there. I ended up with a turbo snail and 6 blue legged hermits. They have been working away for the past few hours cleaning the algae off the rocks. I'm still not sure what kind of fish will go in here. I was thinking about some kind of Goby, not sure which yet, and either a couple Harlequin shrimp or a Cleaner shrimp. I will try to get some pics soon to show you, although there's not much to se yet...

Check the sticky in the beginners section about what you can stock in your size tank. You have a couple of options including clowns.

Good luck.. :D Dont forget to take pics.

Check the sticky in the beginners section about what you can stock in your size tank. You have a couple of options including clowns.

Good luck.. :D Dont forget to take pics.

You mean Clown Goby's? I was looking at getting one of those or maybe a couple Neon Gobys. The CUC has been going to town cleaning the tank up, and it's looking great. Last night, I went through that terrible moment that probably everyone goes through; the first time something molts and you think it's dead! LOL! I was so freaked out that something was wrong in the tank, and running to get my test kits, and then I saw the hermit peak out of his shell.... PHEW! :lol:

Archived