SaltCritters.com

directional's 2.5 minibow reef

directional

This tank was started on: October 23rd 2006.

I have about 5-6lbs of LR from my FOWLR tank that has been running for a while. The sand is store bought dry sand. I am using about 3lbs of it.

Right now it has 1 Nassarius Snail and 4 Orange Marked Hermit Crabs.

I added the Coralife 20watt 50/50 light from www.petsmart.com into the hood which required some modding of course. I did it different then everyone else ( check the pictures ). It only took about 20minutes total which includes looking for the tools.

I am going to be adding a Kenya Tree, Mushrooms, and Star Polyps within the next few days when I make sure the tank is done cycling.

So far my water params are perfect. I still need to buy a heater and pack out the AC30 HOB with LR instead of the sponge. ( I only used the sponge to catch the loose sand floating around for now ).

I will be adding hopefully a Sexy Shrimp and a Yellow Goby to the tank. If not a sexy shrimp then some type of cleaner shrimp.

Here come the pictures B)

ftsfront.jpg

hermits.jpg

nassnail.jpg

lralage.jpg

toplessview.jpg

hoodmodinside.jpg

lightmodside.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
calcium should be around 450ppm but isnt really that necessary until you get hard corals like lps and sps

Travis I am going to be getting Zoo's , Star Polyps and a Kenya Tree this week.

Do I need to be testing my levels or dosing anything for that?

The tests I have are enough right?

Ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, Calcium, Alkalinity.

those kits are fine. i wouldnt dose in a tank this small, just keep up on your wc's and your salt will take care of the rest. you may want to wait for corals until you get rid of all of that algae and definitely wait awhile longer. i like to wait at least a few weeks. my 2.5g is 2-3? weeks old and there still isnt anything in it besides a hitchiker snail.

those kits are fine. i wouldnt dose in a tank this small, just keep up on your wc's and your salt will take care of the rest. you may want to wait for corals until you get rid of all of that algae and definitely wait awhile longer. i like to wait at least a few weeks. my 2.5g is 2-3? weeks old and there still isnt anything in it besides a hitchiker snail.

There is about a crumb of that alage left due to the crabs eating it like crazy. :) What brand of salt do you use in your tank?

nsw from the local university :) just keep using the oceanic salt, it will be fine for your purposes.

Is that why we do weekly water changes to keep up with all the levels? :D

Is that why we do weekly water changes to keep up with all the levels? :D

And to keep nitrate (and other) levels low. Frequent water changes keep good things (Ca, Alk, etc) up and bad things (NO3 etc) down.

Okay.. More pics to come once I get my corals ( hopefully this week! ) :D:D

Best part is there FREE from a local refer.. Kenya Tree, Mushrooms, Star Polyps :)

i would try to rescape the tank a bit in the process. the rock structure doesnt look too sturdy and corals always come on their own rocks. just be careful with the acryllic; it scratches like butter ;)

i would try to rescape the tank a bit in the process. the rock structure doesnt look too sturdy and corals always come on their own rocks. just be careful with the acryllic; it scratches like butter ;)

Yeah there are a few scratches on the tank right now that I am not to happy about. I will be taking out or moving the LR once I get some coral and see how I can work with it. I have about 5-6lbs in such a small tank lol :D

with the tank that small, you could probably use mostly the rock from your corals.

Yeah well I am going to see how the local reefer is going to be giving me the corals. He is going to be fragging them out of his tank so I dont know how they usually come.

I got a couple of corals from a local friend by me... I have a couple of blue mushrooms, one or two tiny little green mushrooms. A couple of Kenya Trees about 5 or so. and one other one that I dont know the name of I forgot what he said I will take pics tomorrow hopefully they open up all the way!

I also got a loaaad of cheato from him and one came with a hitch hiker star fish! He has a smalllllll body and really long legs. I wonder what he is hmm I will look it up!

Looks like your tank is off to a good start. :)

In reply to your question about salt you posted in my MB thread, I use Oceanic. Used to use Instant Ocean but Oceanic seems to do better. I change 1/2gal per week and don't add any supplements. Just remember to keep your bio-load down or do 2 water changes per week. Nitrates and other nasties build up quicker in these small tanks.

Looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

Here are some updates of the new corals I got from a local reefer...

I am concerned about the Yellow Fiji Leather ( I think thats what it is atleast ) when he was pulling it out it was very stuck to the rock and re ripped it and got it all bent out of shape. I hope it comes back within the next few days. What can I do to help it?

Also the big Kenya Tree dosen't look so hot so I will see what happens if not it was to big for the tank right now anyway but that came with a mini one and a cool green shroom..

So I have Kenya Trees, Blue Mushrooms, and a Green Mushroom?, and a Yellow Fiji Leather? Or Cabbage Leather? I am not sure the exact names of the mushrooms either.

The Full Tank Shot ( He gave me alot of frags lol )

ftscorals.jpg

Right Side of the Tank

rightside.jpg

Shrooms and Kenya Tree

shroomsktree.jpg

Fiji Leather or Cabbage Leather? ( ID please ) It looks a little owned because he had trouble getting it out of the tank

fijileather.jpg

Blue Mushrooms

blueshrooms.jpg

Side View ( I got tons of Cheato packed in the filter too )

sideview.jpg

Green Mushroom ( ID please )

greenshroom.jpg

Should I get some of that Kent Marine PhytoPlex and put that in so they can eat some plankton ( and the inverts ) Or just drop some flake food in there?

I have found my Kenya Tree to be vary sensitive to Salinty changes and Temp swings. I would make sure those are ok.

My heater has a built in thermostat and the salinity will be changed once a week. I am going to try to nail the sail level so I can doit perfect everytime. It wont be swining that much though I will be testing the water b4 I put it in the tank.

Thanks for the info though.. What do you feed your Kenya? PhytoPlankton?

Even watch the evap causing a swing in salinity, if my tank water level drops 1/4" thats enough to make it unhappy. Anyway good your keeping a close on on it.

As far as feeding I feed the tank once a week with phytoplex and it seems to be happy. Mine has grown 1-1.5" in the few months I've had it.

Even watch the evap causing a swing in salinity, if my tank water level drops 1/4" thats enough to make it unhappy. Anyway good your keeping a close on on it.

As far as feeding I feed the tank once a week with phytoplex and it seems to be happy. Mine has grown 1-1.5" in the few months I've had it.

How much of the phytoplex do you put in the tank once a week one capful?

SemiAverage711
What do you feed your Kenya? PhytoPlankton?

I don't feed my Kenya and it thrives in my AP12. It has tripled in size 3 months. I already got a frag off of it too. But, can't get that to stick to the rock. But, back to you. I don't feed mine. Some people say you have too, but I am sure there is enough stuff in my tank to satisfy it.

It's good to see that your minibow is up and running. Looking good so far.

It had a near death experiance today.. The condinsation in the hood must have hit exposed wires ( which I dont know why there was a rip in the wire but anyway ) and it popped the fuse in my house after making lots of noise. Good thing I was around to fix it right away with my brother. We shouldnt have this problem now that it is covered and sealed w/ electrical tape..

I am going to be adding the fan mod within the next few days... anyone have a spare computer fan they can drop in the us mail? :D i cant find mine.

My cabbage leather open'd up finally.. I will take pics when I find a camera.

It had a near death experiance today.. The condinsation in the hood must have hit exposed wires ( which I dont know why there was a rip in the wire but anyway ) and it popped the fuse in my house after making lots of noise. Good thing I was around to fix it right away with my brother. We shouldnt have this problem now that it is covered and sealed w/ electrical tape..

I am going to be adding the fan mod within the next few days... anyone have a spare computer fan they can drop in the us mail? :D i cant find mine.

My cabbage leather open'd up finally.. I will take pics when I find a camera.

Wow... thank goodness nothing bad happened. :o

Take a run over to Besy Buy or the Source and get a cheap one for $5

Archived