Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shortyz918 Biocube 29 Mixed Softy/SPS Tank

shortyz918

Hey everybody im starting a new thread showing my journey with my salt water fish tank...

***PLEASE READ THIS***

I'm looking for positive things. Even if the positive things are negative, that's fine, please just don't bark ridiculous comments at me and tell me how bad I am. =P Remember this is MY TANK, so keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a 29 Biocube, you have probably seen my posts around the forum, and seen my get destroyed by the members!

Ahh well... These pictures are before the Metal Halide...

January 3, 2008

Picture%20004.jpg

February 2, 2008

2-2-08.jpg

March 22, 2008

3-22-08.jpg

April 25, 2008

4-25-08.jpg

NOW HERE COMES THE HALIDE...

BC_Hood.jpg

70w_retro_off.jpg

I will post more updated pictures of the tank tomorrow...

you might want to try the link in his/hers sig.

***useless thread***

FYI unless you are intentionally wanting to be flamed don't start threads like this. :lol:

i see nothing wrong with your tank

Please NOTE:

1- I have a this OCD and I like to move things around...

2- Things have grown, very little has died... I have lost only a couple things...

3- I don't do enough water changes, i need to find more time to do that...

Ohh Yea this was before the halides also... Picture was taken in July of 2008...

7-08.jpg

Acanthastrea Lordhowensis - Red/Green Acan

Duncanopsammia Axifuga - Duncan

Parazoanthus Gracilis - Yellow Polyps

Caulastrea Echinulata - Candy Cane - Trumpet Coral

Sarcophyton Trocheliophorum - Toadstool Leather

Litophyton Nephthea - Tree Coral

Sinularia - Thin Finger Leather Coral

Euphyllia Divisia - Frogspawn

Galaxea Fascicularis - Galaxia

Montipora - Monti

Rhodactis Discosoma - Mushroom Green And Blue

Ricordea - Orange Ricordea

Euphylla Ancora - Hammer Coral

Xenia Elongata - Pumping Xenia

Goniopora - Flower Pot Coral

Trachyphyllia - Green Brain

This is the latest photo with the Metal Halide.... Enjoy...

7-081.jpg

...Yes there is surface buildup, I dont know how to get rid of it, it starts out nice, then when i feed the fish, that happens. I have POS skimmer, but it is the little biocube one...

EDIT: This picture shows the halide with a 10k bulb, but I am now using a 14k bulb...

you should mod it so that only the top filter grates work, and block the bottom ones, it will eliminate the surface scum, you could also run chemi-pure too.

you should mod it so that only the top filter grates work, and block the bottom ones, it will eliminate the surface scum, you could also run chemi-pure too.

Hrm, that would work, NICE! Is that a common mod with the biocubes, to put like a rubber piece over the bottom grate..?

...lol...Thx Buddy!

Ok so how long should I run my lights...

Timer sched as of now:

1000x2000 Actinic

1100x1900 PC

1100x2000 Fans

1200x1800 Halide

EDIT: Wrong Time...

At this stage in the game I still have the bioballs in the middle chamber. Many people remove them and put other things in the middle chamber. I was thinking if I remove them now, will I have a spike, or will I have to replace them slowly with say... Live rock?

Im working on a 55 in my basement... I have a Current Outer Orbit 150 Watt Halide, picked it up for a really nice price. The purpose of this tank in my mind is a frag tank, do you guys this crushed coral is the wrong choice? Does it matter? I have heard the the CC traps alot of crap, I dont think that I will have any fish in the tank for a long time... Any comments?

if it is just going to be a frag tank, maybe bare bottom is the way to go. then you can just vacuum out all the nasties easily.

Ahh I went with the sand bed because I was worried about proper filtration. Im not going to have much rock in the tank so I figure that I should have some bacteria in the sand.

Great looking tank tank!!

Looks like its going to grow in real well.

With my BC14 I removed my bioballs,

Scraped the black off the rear glass behind chamber 2 and paced chaeto with a bag of phosban at the bottom

Bought a 3 LED nancustoms 6500k (maybe with the BC29 go for the 5 light LED)

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=369

Grows chaeto like crazy...see pics...

Just wondering......are you running a chiller with your setup?

Andreas

Great looking tank tank!!

Looks like its going to grow in real well.

With my BC14 I removed my bioballs,

Scraped the black off the rear glass behind chamber 2 and paced chaeto with a bag of phosban at the bottom

Bought a 3 LED nancustoms 6500k (maybe with the BC29 go for the 5 light LED)

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=369

Grows chaeto like crazy...see pics...

Just wondering......are you running a chiller with your setup?

Andreas

No chiller i just have the AC on all day...

I'm not sure why you are worried you'll get flamed because they tank looks really awesome. Nice scaping, corals are placed well...love the feather duster. Great looking tank!

I'm not sure why you are worried you'll get flamed because they tank looks really awesome. Nice scaping, corals are placed well...love the feather duster. Great looking tank!

Thanks man, yea i had a thread befor this one and it was ruined by people saying, "you think your tank is great yet there no coraline alge" blah blah stuff like that...

But hey, THX !!!!

Archived