Cultivated Reef

The Custom 27g

121a

Ok, so my 40g is too big for my room. I am also upgrading my 75g to a 150g. So i'll be putting some of my corals in there and keeping my favorites. Those being my zoas, cup coral, unknown LPS, and my green and purple somethings and my clam. The tank will be a SPS/Zoa/Clam tank. Lighting will be 4x24 T-5 on IceCap reflectors. The tank will be totally custom, with the three viewable sides of glass being starphire. The tank will be plumbed to a 10g sump/fuge with a skimmer and a QuietOne pump (538gph). In the main tank there will be a hydor K1 and a K2. The tank will become a self water-changing tank, with the use of Tom Aqualifter pumps and a few 7 day timers. Tank will sit on a custom stand, made of probably oak, and then stained to a nice color to match my floors. Also there will be a custom oak canopy that will have two intake fans and one exhaust fan to cool the T-5 bulbs. A sectioned off area will be provided for the ballasts to go. I really need nano-paul to give me a glass quote so i can get the glass ASAP. I have a few drawing so LMKWYT.

TankhoodstandMEASUREMENTS.png

Tankhoodstand3.png

Tankhoodstand1.png

skeloton.png

T-5Hood2.png

T-5Hood.png

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks killer. what kind of skimmer are you going to use? why use such a cheap return pump on such a nice system?

toms aqualifter pumps aren't very strong. mine needs a replacing after a year of light duty use. crappy deal.

Tim

Elaboration on the Self-Waterchanging system: The system needs two tanks, a new water tank and an old water tank. The system needs three 7 day timers to work, 1 will off the main pump, the 2nd one will pump water out, then the next one will turn on once the water is emptied and refill it. I want to use the aqualifters as they are low GPH and would just work well, unless i find another pump. It will be expensive so it won't happen right off the bat.

I thought Quite One pumps were good pumps? I don't want to spend a $100 on an ehiem pump as there junk is way overpriced. I'll get a mag 5 if i can find a good deal on one. the skimmer would be a BC29R skimmer, but i want something different, but will keep it if i have to.

As for the whole 40g thing. I'm upgrading my 75g to a 150g, so then i need some coral to fill it and figured i can finally have my SPS/Clam/Zoa tank. Also the 40g is way to big for my room.

Ok, I'm going to order the lights tomorrow. $275 including shipping and bulbs for 4x24w T-5s on Ice Cap relfectors ain't that bad of a price.

Elaboration on the Self-Waterchanging system: The system needs two tanks, a new water tank and an old water tank. The system needs three 7 day timers to work, 1 will off the main pump, the 2nd one will pump water out, then the next one will turn on once the water is emptied and refill it. I want to use the aqualifters as they are low GPH and would just work well, unless i find another pump. It will be expensive so it won't happen right off the bat.

I thought Quite One pumps were good pumps? I don't want to spend a $100 on an ehiem pump as there junk is way overpriced. I'll get a mag 5 if i can find a good deal on one. the skimmer would be a BC29R skimmer, but i want something different, but will keep it if i have to.

As for the whole 40g thing. I'm upgrading my 75g to a 150g, so then i need some coral to fill it and figured i can finally have my SPS/Clam/Zoa tank. Also the 40g is way to big for my room.

Ok, I'm going to order the lights tomorrow. $275 including shipping and bulbs for 4x24w T-5s on Ice Cap relfectors ain't that bad of a price.

hmmm, this sound very interesting, i may try this if it works out for you.

well it honestly has my lowest priority right now. I also want to get an AC.Jr as Reefgeek has some great prices on them, $250 including serial, DC8 and Temp probe.

1/4" would be enough. ive seen 34gal tanks made from 1/4" glass and it holds fine. its a matter of preference.

hope your aware that you wont get anything fast from nano-paul

Bought the pump, and bulkhead. I went with a Quite One 2200. Acrylic came in and I might be picking up the glass tomorrow and getting the acrylic cut.

Bought the pump, and bulkhead. I went with a Quite One 2200. Acrylic came in and I might be picking up the glass tomorrow and getting the acrylic cut.

Sounds good, cant wait to see everything put together :happy:

picked up the glass, but i made a mistake in the measurments. I forgot to accomidate the 1/2 gain/loss of space so now i need to get the sides trimmed out 1/2in.

picked up the glass, but i made a mistake in the measurments. I forgot to accomidate the 1/2 gain/loss of space so now i need to get the sides trimmed out 1/2in.

well thats a kick in the teeth. How are you going to trim the sides?

I'll see if my LGS can do it. If not it is only $18 for replacements. I'll get pics of the glass anyway. It is so small compared to my 40g. However i think my dimesions are just right for me and i could do one hell of an aquascape!

Archived