Cultivated Reef

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to post some better shots of your clown... I love the tank

Lookin good.

Thanks O_R! I'll work on the clown pics but the one that you used for my sig was the best I've got so far.

IMG_0257-1.jpg

Blue striped clown...wow...wouldn't that be cool?!?! I have a Sunpaq 40W dual actinic over the tank. I'll try to take some more shots of the clown this week but it's so hard to get him staying still. All my shots usually come out as a black and white blur or streak.

First off I have to say I love your Aquapod 24. Great work for a first time saltwater tank. I have high interest in doing a nano-reef very similar to yours which includes the Aquapod 24 (seems like one of the best all in one products out there). I broke down my 100 gallon SW a few months ago due to high volume of water changes and wasn't setup properly.

My dream is to setup a beautiful mushroom & polyp tank. I would want to keep out the carnivore fish to keep waste down. Any suggestions on setup and or type of foods to make sure everything stays healthy? I've read all the post for your tank and have enjoyed them.

Thank you

Thanks Bulldog! I'm really enjoying this journey and feel very lucky with my first attempt at a SW tank. One lesson that I've learned so far about this hobby is that fortunes can quickly change just when you're feeling like you have things under control.

My dream is to setup a beautiful mushroom & polyp tank. I would want to keep out the carnivore fish to keep waste down. Any suggestions on setup and or type of foods to make sure everything stays healthy?

IMO, your dream tank is totally achievable without limiting your fish choices to those that aren't carnivorous. I'm not running a skimmer so my nitrates never seem to be at 0. For what it's worth, I never miss a weekly water and carbon change and the coral seem to be thriving. IME, the musrooms and polyps are the hardiest of them all. Mine have withstood everything from overheating, to pestering from the clean up crew and shrimp, to chemical warfare from my leathers.

As for food, once a week I target feed my candy cane with cyclopeez and feed frozen formula 1 to my fungia plate. Other than that I don't feed the other corals anything special and only feed my fish a little pinch of spectrum or formula 1 pellets 5 days a week.

Good luck with your dream tank and thanks for keeping an eye on my thread.

The tank looks great. Many people don't realize how tough our corals are... and then again something very minute can make them bleach. For example, I put about 20lbs of live rock in a bin for a month with no light, only a powerhead and a heater. The rock had two types of orange montipora and anthelia polyps on it. After a month with no light, the corals were still alive and regained their color shortly after adding them back to the tank.

The tank looks great. Many people don't realize how tough our corals are... and then again something very minute can make them bleach. For example, I put about 20lbs of live rock in a bin for a month with no light, only a powerhead and a heater. The rock had two types of orange montipora and anthelia polyps on it. After a month with no light, the corals were still alive and regained their color shortly after adding them back to the tank.

So true. Something seemingly small can really have a big impact on coral health/happiness. My GSP are a perfect example. The mushrooms surrounding them had been choking them off slowly. That's why I went to the extreme measures of removing the shrooms that had attached themselves to the rock that the GSP were on.

Sad to say, the other mushrooms that were left near the GSP continued to affect them and I decided yesterday that I had to do something before they were completely overrun. A coworker of mine who also has a nano in his office agreed to take the GSP rock and keep it in his tank. After only one day they look like they're well on their way to recovery. I miss my neon grass but at least they look happy again. Oh well, maybe I can find a better place in my tank for a smaller frag of my original colony sometime in the future.

Funny enough, in other tanks, people consider them pests, LOL.

Unfortunately, my tank is becoming a battleground for corals that have the reputation of being pests...GSP vs. shrooms vs. xenia. So far the mushrooms are proving to be the dominant species but I have a feeling my xenia are about to give them a run for their money.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to post some better shots of your clown... I love the tank

Lookin good.

This is the best I could do without a tripod.

Clown.jpg

My tank has turned 5 months old :happydance: and I just posted a new FTS to my gallery. Not much has changed in the last month. My candy canes are really growing and have split twice. I've moved some of the coral around to give them more room. I'm also pleased to see that coraline algae is beginning to grow all over the rock and walls of the tank.

Here are some new pics:

October FTS

FTSOctober2006withfish.jpg

Here's a shot of the top shelf. The xenias seem to like their new home and they're beginning to spread.

Topshelfcloseup.jpg

I really like this devil's hand specimen. It has green polyps.

Greenpolypdevilshand.jpg

Here are some shots of my little zoo garden. They're really starting to muliply.

Zoogarden.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

Archived