Photo

How were you first introduced to nano reefs?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Daemonfly

Daemonfly

( O_o) ,,|,,

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  • Joined 13 Jun 2004
  • NW PA

Was originally planted FW. Lurked around Reefcentral here & there, but was linked here right at the time Liquid's 2.5g was popular, and got hooked. Spent a few months reading everything then started joining in.
3g long: Wow, found my first tank thread (retired)
5.5g reef: 96w Quad 50/50("rigged")| AC500 full modded fuge. (retired)
2.5g reef: Complete DIY 2.5g acrylic tank & hood (retired due to split seam ;_;).
20g long prop tank. 10g sump, 175w MH.

Coming soon! 2.5g dubbed "Pulse".

Fishguy

Fishguy

Reefer Reef'er

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 16 Dec 2004
I've been doing salt and fresh for about 10 years.

At the time I decided to start my 20L Nano I didn't have any running tanks. I was looking for a small interesting aquarium project. I'd always wanted to try a reef tank but when I was last doing saltwater reef tanks were HUGE and loaded with equipment and loose theory. I started reading up about it and really liked the biological approach and size people were taking. A friend pointed me to this site after I had gotten started.

I've since dragged two other people into the hobby.. and a few others would like to follow in the future.

ezramore

ezramore

12G JBJ with 20G sump

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 16 Feb 2005
  • Colorado Springs CO
Walked into a local fish store to buy some stuff for my freshwater tank and they had just gotten in the 12 Gal JBJ. I was looking at it when the store owner came up and started telling me that they were for salt water and had everything i would need built right in. The store owner told me that if iuse live rock i wont have to do water changes but every 2 weeks, and after a month i could put in fish and corals and have a really nice mini tank for less than $300 with everything. well i told the owner that i was interested but would like to research it a little and see if it would be something that would fit my needs. What i diddnt know was that the wife overheard our conversation and was looking for a christmas present for me and bought it while i was getting the fish i origanaly came in for. Well 1000$+ later i have a nice well established 12 gal nano that water changes are every 2 weeks. I am happy that she cared enough to buy something i wanted but wish she would have waited till i could research and get one that fit more what i was looking for.

dcabboa

dcabboa

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 28 Jan 2005
I saw a beautiful reef tank in a hotel in Va Beach and was just fascinated. We had kept FW for years until a heater malfunctioned and killed two prize freshwater sharks and we gave up in disgust. And our daughter had gone off to college 250 miles away.

So, it was a combination of empty nest syndrome and a yellow-tail blue damsel in that hotel tank that did it for me!

enano

enano

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 05 Jan 2005
  • Harrogate, UK
I was planning on setting up a saltwater tank and so was doing research and everything while trying to save the thousands that I was going to need. One day I found reefcentral and a link from there to here and have been an addict ever since. :) Three tanks and planning on adding some more soon too. Nano-reefing rocks!

zachtos

zachtos

Electrical Engineer

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Joined 19 Oct 2003
  • Michigan, Mount Pleasant
always wanted a marine fish tank. started w/ clowns FOWLR then merged to nanoreefing after discovering this site randomly. captivated by a photo of a bright pink xenia tank.
"One thing vampire children have to be taught early on is, don't run with a wooden stake." - jack handy

ReefDiver

ReefDiver

Honorable Shellback

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 27 Jan 2004
Surfed into NR.com

hman2853

hman2853

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 26 Jul 2005
I went to the bahamas on spring break, and there was no one to feed my freshwater dwarf puffers because I live in a dormitory that was locked over spring break. I got back, and my tank looked like crap. I went fishing, spearfishing, conch diving, and lobster diving when I was in the bahamas, and this had a major role on me ditching the freshwater tank. I gave my puffers to my next door neighbor's fish tank, cleaned out my nano cube 6, and put some lr, ls, and saltwater in asap. I am very happy with my purchase so far!

Edited by hman2853, 03 April 2006 - 01:41 PM.

lighterofcandles

lighterofcandles

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2004
  • socal
everyone said it would be to hard...so i did it neways

reefkidsclownfish

reefkidsclownfish

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 10 Jul 2006
  • st. louis
well, i got into nano reefing because my uncle had a huge saltwater tank, (it was over 200 gl, big freakin thing) and i disided i wanted a smaller version of it. still trying to set it up.

Edited by reefkidsclownfish, 25 July 2006 - 02:58 PM.

TheUnfocusedOne

TheUnfocusedOne

Ya Dingus

• Members
  • 10,855 posts
  • Joined 16 Jul 2007
  • NC
i just randomly typed it into google and a site for some rediculous tank came up
http://www.reefkeepi.../totm/index.php
it inspired me

Life is not a quantified system of equations and inequalities.

The Unfocused Cube

HankB

HankB

We are here to serve man.

• Members
  • 1,297 posts
  • Joined 09 Mar 2008
  • Far Far west Chicago 'burbs
I've been raising freshwater fish off and on for about 40 years. A week or so ago the wife and I stopped in to a LFS who had some very nice looking reef tanks (Living Sea Aquarium for those familiar with shops in the Chicago area.) My Wife homed in on some nano-cubes that they had set up and said she wanted one. It's not the first time she asked. Last time I bought a book and reef aquarium background and put it up next to our computer monitor (where it still hangs, with the addition of a tiger shark head that my son added ;) )

At present we're planning our first nano-reef, probably using a Red Sea Max tank along with all of the goodies that will eventually go with it.

I've been studying the forums here and getting a lot of good info, so keep up the great work!

thanks,
hank

person1000000

person1000000

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 17 Apr 2008
I wanted a SW tank and had an extra 10 gallon tank laying arround and couldnt afford the constance maitainace of a tank bigger my 150 gallon fresh was pricy to set up

lil fish

lil fish

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 12 Apr 2008
i have always wanted a tank by the side of my bed so i could go to sleep
with the tank the last thing i see, so very relaxing. thi site pushed me over the edge..
thank you all

bzphotog

bzphotog

Those are canned what?

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 05 Feb 2008

I wanted a SW tank and had an extra 10 gallon tank laying arround and couldnt afford the constance maitainace of a tank bigger my 150 gallon fresh was pricy to set up

You said it for me...

bzphotog

h45e

h45e

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 13 Apr 2008
I got into a fish only Salt water tank WAYYYYY before Nemo came out (and it was bloody hard to find fish etc for the tank). I moved out of home into a rental so I couldnt get marine set up (landlord is a B**th), just bought a house, waiting for the $$$ to come through, so as soon as I come back from my OS trip and this house is finalised then Im going to start up with my RSM.

Edit: Oh, plus when I wanted to make a marine out of a 4foot by 1 foot tank, the "experts" said your dreaming... so I stoped untill I came across Nano-Reef.

Edited by h45e, 21 April 2008 - 11:04 PM.

aquascaper08

aquascaper08

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Joined 02 Apr 2008
  • Littleton, Colorado
my son has a 125g reef and i needed a cheaper alternative. found one and love it!
Posted Image
[/url]

BibleSue

BibleSue

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,708 posts
  • Joined 04 Feb 2007
  • Crossville, TN
I have Weetabix7 to blame for all the hours I have lost since she got me hooked on NR. :lol: She is also to blame for all of the $$$ I no longer have now that I am up to 5 tanks. :slap:

Edited by BibleSue, 29 April 2008 - 09:45 AM.

jsleep

jsleep

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 09 Aug 2007
  • Niantic, CT
Diving at Turks and Caicos did it for me. I loved the reefs and the life. I decided I wanted one but filed it away. After researching literally for years, finally getting my house, and having my empty 15 gallon, it was a done deal. I used "It's for the kids."

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Been pimpin since been pimpin!

• Members
  • 8,307 posts
  • Joined 18 Aug 2007
  • Corpus Crusty, TX
I brought home something from the fish store that I thought would look cool in my puffer tank. When I relized I just paid for a really pricy lunch I needed help, and was able to set up a ten gallon reef from stuff I already had. Yep one sea anemone and a ten gallon tank has turned into quite a hobby and obsession, so thanks for all the help along the way, I am so glad I found a place that is so helpful.
The 75g CLAM JAM! Jam out with your clam out!
http://www.nano-reef...30#entry4449048

trueperc

trueperc

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2008
Ever since I was a kid I have loved the ocean and everything that lives in it so naturally it only felt right to
have a little piece of it for myself. How I found this site was just doing research and stumbled upon this site, which has been the biggest resource for excellent information about this amazing hobby.

Captain

Captain

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • Joined 25 Jun 2006
  • 24740, WV
Cichlid-Forum--->RC----->NR----->BrooklynJohnny...end of story.