ReefCleaners.org

How were you first introduced to nano reefs?

Christopher Marks

Was originally planted FW. Lurked around Reefcentral here & there, but was linked here right at the time Liquid's 2.5g was popular, and got hooked. Spent a few months reading everything then started joining in.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been doing salt and fresh for about 10 years.

At the time I decided to start my 20L Nano I didn't have any running tanks. I was looking for a small interesting aquarium project. I'd always wanted to try a reef tank but when I was last doing saltwater reef tanks were HUGE and loaded with equipment and loose theory. I started reading up about it and really liked the biological approach and size people were taking. A friend pointed me to this site after I had gotten started.

I've since dragged two other people into the hobby.. and a few others would like to follow in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked into a local fish store to buy some stuff for my freshwater tank and they had just gotten in the 12 Gal JBJ. I was looking at it when the store owner came up and started telling me that they were for salt water and had everything i would need built right in. The store owner told me that if iuse live rock i wont have to do water changes but every 2 weeks, and after a month i could put in fish and corals and have a really nice mini tank for less than $300 with everything. well i told the owner that i was interested but would like to research it a little and see if it would be something that would fit my needs. What i diddnt know was that the wife overheard our conversation and was looking for a christmas present for me and bought it while i was getting the fish i origanaly came in for. Well 1000$+ later i have a nice well established 12 gal nano that water changes are every 2 weeks. I am happy that she cared enough to buy something i wanted but wish she would have waited till i could research and get one that fit more what i was looking for.

I saw a beautiful reef tank in a hotel in Va Beach and was just fascinated. We had kept FW for years until a heater malfunctioned and killed two prize freshwater sharks and we gave up in disgust. And our daughter had gone off to college 250 miles away.

So, it was a combination of empty nest syndrome and a yellow-tail blue damsel in that hotel tank that did it for me!

I was planning on setting up a saltwater tank and so was doing research and everything while trying to save the thousands that I was going to need. One day I found reefcentral and a link from there to here and have been an addict ever since. :) Three tanks and planning on adding some more soon too. Nano-reefing rocks!

• 6 months later...

always wanted a marine fish tank. started w/ clowns FOWLR then merged to nanoreefing after discovering this site randomly. captivated by a photo of a bright pink xenia tank.

I went to the bahamas on spring break, and there was no one to feed my freshwater dwarf puffers because I live in a dormitory that was locked over spring break. I got back, and my tank looked like crap. I went fishing, spearfishing, conch diving, and lobster diving when I was in the bahamas, and this had a major role on me ditching the freshwater tank. I gave my puffers to my next door neighbor's fish tank, cleaned out my nano cube 6, and put some lr, ls, and saltwater in asap. I am very happy with my purchase so far!

• 3 months later...
reefkidsclownfish

well, i got into nano reefing because my uncle had a huge saltwater tank, (it was over 200 gl, big freakin thing) and i disided i wanted a smaller version of it. still trying to set it up.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been raising freshwater fish off and on for about 40 years. A week or so ago the wife and I stopped in to a LFS who had some very nice looking reef tanks (Living Sea Aquarium for those familiar with shops in the Chicago area.) My Wife homed in on some nano-cubes that they had set up and said she wanted one. It's not the first time she asked. Last time I bought a book and reef aquarium background and put it up next to our computer monitor (where it still hangs, with the addition of a tiger shark head that my son added ;) )

At present we're planning our first nano-reef, probably using a Red Sea Max tank along with all of the goodies that will eventually go with it.

I've been studying the forums here and getting a lot of good info, so keep up the great work!

thanks,

hank

• 1 month later...
person1000000

I wanted a SW tank and had an extra 10 gallon tank laying arround and couldnt afford the constance maitainace of a tank bigger my 150 gallon fresh was pricy to set up

i have always wanted a tank by the side of my bed so i could go to sleep

with the tank the last thing i see, so very relaxing. thi site pushed me over the edge..

thank you all

I wanted a SW tank and had an extra 10 gallon tank laying arround and couldnt afford the constance maitainace of a tank bigger my 150 gallon fresh was pricy to set up

You said it for me...

bzphotog

I got into a fish only Salt water tank WAYYYYY before Nemo came out (and it was bloody hard to find fish etc for the tank). I moved out of home into a rental so I couldnt get marine set up (landlord is a B**th), just bought a house, waiting for the $$$ to come through, so as soon as I come back from my OS trip and this house is finalised then Im going to start up with my RSM.

Edit: Oh, plus when I wanted to make a marine out of a 4foot by 1 foot tank, the "experts" said your dreaming... so I stoped untill I came across Nano-Reef.

I have Weetabix7 to blame for all the hours I have lost since she got me hooked on NR. :lol: She is also to blame for all of the $$$ I no longer have now that I am up to 5 tanks. :slap:

Diving at Turks and Caicos did it for me. I loved the reefs and the life. I decided I wanted one but filed it away. After researching literally for years, finally getting my house, and having my empty 15 gallon, it was a done deal. I used "It's for the kids."

gulfsurfer101

I brought home something from the fish store that I thought would look cool in my puffer tank. When I relized I just paid for a really pricy lunch I needed help, and was able to set up a ten gallon reef from stuff I already had. Yep one sea anemone and a ten gallon tank has turned into quite a hobby and obsession, so thanks for all the help along the way, I am so glad I found a place that is so helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Ever since I was a kid I have loved the ocean and everything that lives in it so naturally it only felt right to

have a little piece of it for myself. How I found this site was just doing research and stumbled upon this site, which has been the biggest resource for excellent information about this amazing hobby.

Archived