Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting retrofit for Eclipse Hex 5

Xytrix01

Triggeraa, what type of filter are you using? And how do you get the water in/out of the tank? Also, are you running 20w on the stock lighting fixture, or did you replace the 15w one with a bigger one?

I use a marineland bio-wheel mini for filtration. Using a dremel I cut a small amount of plastic of the back. Very easy and works great. It pumps 100gph and can house a 25 watt heater. Also running a rio 90 for added circulation. I used the same stock socket for one of the bulbs and bought another at HD for the second one.

Jana I also used a HOB like Trigger. If you dont want to cut the rim up you could try a canister. I was gonna do that but for some reason I got a whisper 10 for it instead. My thoughts on the canister were that you could go bigger and get more flow then what the size of the tank allows you with the HOB.

I thought about a canister, but I like the possibility of a fuge. I bought a Millenium 1000 (85 gph), admittedly because it was on sale :blush: ; after looking at it, I'm not sure it's very modifiable. The thing is, the stock filter only gives me about 35 gph, not enough for a reef tank. I looked again at the rim of the tank and I think I can cut it somewhat without ruining it for hanging the stock filter again someday. I may take back the millenium and see what else would work; or maybe I'll put it on my fw fry tank (the fry really aren't fry anymore! :D ) and then see what else works. Maybe I'll balance the checkbook first, see how much of a dent $15 makes...

Nice DIY, but coralife makes a 20watt bulb. IF it fits ok, wouldn't it do the same thing?

Again, yours looks nice though. I have one of the older 5 gal hexes and now I'm wanting a new one.

hey thats really cool could you maybe hel me figure out how to do that wiht a 10 gallon if I sen you a picture of the stock? it will hold 2 PC 20 watt bulbs but I dont know that will be enough for corals anyone else know?

awesome I'll get to work on getting a picture asap I like the clean looking type lighting no offense to anyone here but I dont want things hanging from my celing ect pictures picture grumble grumble haha awesome I'm getting help

• 9 months later...

Anyone see PICs for this?

I would like to do something like this...But before I start I am hoping to see some great pics :)

if anyone can post some, It would make my life easier :)

thanks

• 1 month later...

I bought a 20watt coralife 50/50 bulb and it doesn't fit in the stock fixture.

For those who posted above that they're using the 20 watt, how did you get it to fit?

Thanks

• 9 years later...

Archived