Innovative Marine Aquariums

getting fish to eat pellets

graemevw

I have a starcki damsel, have had it for a week. I have a variety pack of different frozen brine shrimp and it happily eats all of them.

I also have some vitalis pellets, Xs.

It will take the pellets but spits them out. Will quite often mouth the same pellet twice. Hasnt eaten a single one though.

What can I do to try and get it eating them? Should I just persist, only offering pellets untill it gives in?

Fish is in very good health. I currently feed it just a little once a day. Tank is still quite new so am very concious of chucking food in all the time that isnt eaten.

Thanks.

GunslingerGirl

How large are the pellets compared to his mouth? My clown would only eat baby sized (like first actual pellets for baby fish) sized pellets until this year when I finally convinced him his mouth was large enough to eat the next size up.

Also what was he eating at the LFS? My experience was to ask for a sample of their food to help transition over.

Keep trying with the pellets. Should eventually come around. If he doesn't eat in a few days go back to brine for a day. Don't starve him. He may not like them. Some fish are stubborn.

But brine shrimp don't have a ton of nutrition unless they are loaded. Not sure if yours are enriched or not. Might want to double check that as well.

Best of luck!

There are 5 types of brine, aloe vera, garlic, omega 3, spirulina and plain.

Fish is about 2", pellets are about 1mm, tiny.

It was in the shop for 5 months. They feed various frozen and pellets. They couldnt be certain it was taking any pellets though.

This brand were the only pellets they sold (but it different sizes) so I assume its the ones they feed.

Should I just try a few days only offering pellets?

Worth skipping a day or feeding every other day so im not putting too much uneaten food in? Im putting maybe 6-7 of these tiny pellets in. It will mouth all of them and dart to get them but spits them out.

Or just stick to offering a small amount daily?

There are 5 types of brine, aloe vera, garlic, omega 3, spirulina and plain.

Fish is about 2", pellets are about 1mm, tiny.

It was in the shop for 5 months. They feed various frozen and pellets. They couldnt be certain it was taking any pellets though.

This brand were the only pellets they sold (but it different sizes) so I assume its the ones they feed.

Should I just try a few days only offering pellets?

Worth skipping a day or feeding every other day so im not putting too much uneaten food in? Im putting maybe 6-7 of these tiny pellets in. It will mouth all of them and dart to get them but spits them out.

Or just stick to offering a small amount daily?

Try soaking the pellets for a minute in a little tank water and then try.

Try softening the pellets in a shot glass or cup before going in. I have had it where the fish will spit it out if its too "tough" then go back to it later. Can also try garlic supplement sometimes that will help entice them to eat.

Could also try to mix the pellets in with the frozen brine when you thaw it to go in the tank in a cup. Itll pick up some of the flavoring (YUM!), so what I would try is pellet in some of the juice from the brine. Pipe in a tiny bit of the liquid to get the feeding response from the fish and then try a few soaked pellets in see if theyll have a go.

Ok, will do.

The water in the garlic brine proper stinks and the fish love these so ill try that water first.

These pellets are very soft and meaty, not dry and hard. They also proper stink, my dog is desperate to get at them!

Thanks.

GunslingerGirl

Try softening the pellets in a shot glass or cup before going in. I have had it where the fish will spit it out if its too "tough" then go back to it later. Can also try garlic supplement sometimes that will help entice them to eat.

Could also try to mix the pellets in with the frozen brine when you thaw it to go in the tank in a cup. Itll pick up some of the flavoring (YUM!), so what I would try is pellet in some of the juice from the brine. Pipe in a tiny bit of the liquid to get the feeding response from the fish and then try a few soaked pellets in see if theyll have a go.

This will also help.

Soaking in tank water didn't help, soaking in garlic water didn't help, but it did eat a few pellets this evening. After each one it seemed keener so I think it will be fine.

I think it just needed to be hungry enough to give in.

Ill stick to just pellets for a while before I give it any more frozen.

Another plus is one of my nassarius snails was managed to work out where the uneaten pellets end up.

I mix the pellets in with brine shrimp and soak in selcon, over time remove the brine shrimp but keep soaking in selcon. Has worked for me so far. Good luck!

One of the issues is predicting when to release the pellets so they are at the right height when it finds them. The fish will swim around the rocks and will play hide and seek as I feed. The pellets sink quite fast so I have to time it right.

Im hoping as it starts to get used to them its feeding response will improve.

It does this even when feeding frozen food but the frozen brine hangs in the water column alot longer so it finds them easier.

Its in good condition and plump so I think its holding out for its favourite foods.

Just about everything goes for Omega One Marine micro/mini pellets (.5mm), but depending on how long it's been on the shelf you may run into a packaging change that happened about a year ago. Let 'em soak a minute and then broadcast feed them into a convenient powerhead - that'll usually keep the food suspended in the water column for at least a little while as well as make it more interesting as it'll be moving.

I even had a ruby mandarin train itself onto them after a few offerings. I normally don't go in for their foods, but the pellets are a mainstay of my reef. Yellow clown goby, elongated dottyback, all crabs & most of the LPS/rock flower anemones go nuts when served.

I even had a ruby mandarin train itself onto them after a few offerings. I normally don't go in for their foods, but the pellets are a mainstay of my reef. Yellow clown goby, elongated dottyback, all crabs & most of the LPS/rock flower anemones go nuts when served.

Super Color Micro Pellets! Awesome stuff :wub: And yeah, I don't go for their frozen food, either. PE Mysis and LRS have been working out pretty well for frozen foods in my case :) Fingers crossed that I get to try Rods soon, too!

Ill keep my eye open for the omega one pellets if these dont work.

I did a quick google search of the pellets I have and they seem to be considered one of the best available.

Doesnt mean my fish will agree though!

Ive not tried any other foods yet.

I think its going to work with what ive got but ill keep my eyes open for that one too, always good to have a variety of stuff to feed.

Archived