Cultivated Reef

Scoreing at Petco

Groot

For the most part the Petcos around me are horrible it is what it is. But I do have a decent one near my work and they have nice little frag tank with a bunch of acroporas and clams. In matter fact I pick up one of my favorite frags from them it was a Torqouse Stag horn. It was brown when I purchased it but now it is beautiful torqouse blue in my tank. But this Thursday I saw a pair of Black Ray gobies that was sharing a burrow with a snapping shrimp so I grabbed all three of them. They are all doing well I was really excited because I have been wanting for a pair for a while and didn't want to take my chances on just buying two and hoping for the best. They didnt even realize there was a shrimp in there or that they had a pair that formed I had to remind the guy I wanted both ot them.

I've found a couple of great frags at my local petco. Their saltwater section is actually decent. I've picked up a couple of toadstool leathers and asweet purple and green blasto for $10! I think as long as you inspect the tank to make sure things look healthy, it's not much different than buying from a fish store. Problem is, a lot of petcos don't have healthy stuff. But again, there are some with great finds!!

Nice find! Any photos you can share of the trio?

yeah im going to dust of the digital camera because my iphone takes horrible pics. Maybe this weekend.

I've found a couple of great frags at my local petco. Their saltwater section is actually decent. I've picked up a couple of toadstool leathers and asweet purple and green blasto for $10! I think as long as you inspect the tank to make sure things look healthy, it's not much different than buying from a fish store. Problem is, a lot of petcos don't have healthy stuff. But again, there are some with great finds!!

Yeah have been doing this for a while so if you know what to look for and quatine you should be good.

Couldn't get all three in the pic. Here some pics I took with my iPhone I'll try to get better pics with a real camera and get all three. One is shyer then the other you can barley see the other one just his head. The first one you can see the shrimp.

post-91912-0-74588500-1481075422_thumb.jpg

post-91912-0-01060100-1481075691_thumb.jpg

Most of the Petcos in SE PA have been selling Lightning Maroon Clowns for $30 for a few weeks now.

I have seen clean no vertical line on purple tangs for a 100 bucks.

Stellathegreat is right, ive found a myriad of cool things for cheap at my petco,even my fish,all started in my first tank 3-4 years ago

Most of the Petcos in SE PA have been selling Lightning Maroon Clowns for $30 for a few weeks now.

Truth!

Looks like they're settling in well and already burrowed!

They are and eating well I wanted them in a pacific spot so I made a starting hole for the shrimp witch he went right in then added the gobies next and they followed as well. They end up burrowing to the other side of the island witch is ok still getting a good view of them but not exactly the spot I was hoping for, could be a lot worst. I cant stop watching these guys.

One of my Green Chromis the largest one keeps dive bombing my new gobies he really is pissing me off. I'm going to get rid of that asshole maybe start all over with three tiny ones I have been seeing them come in real small at my local fish store. Or maybe I'll do something completely different IDK I really like the small school and they look amazing under T5s. Heck maybe I'll just get rid of them and don't replace them at all keep the tank simplified with my one clown and my new pair of gobies. I like reef tanks were the fish are not the focal point you have to look for them like a hidden gem.

when ruby red dragonets were newer on the scene I remember my local petco (who I knew the fish guy and the manager) got a few in and were selling them at like $15 a pop. I composed myself asked and bought one, the LFS were still selling them at $70+ at that point. It was awesome.

Still cant beat the yasha I got for $12 because he wasnt marked on the tank, so the store gave me him for the lowest priced fish in the tank.

A local one here had a pair of lightning maroons for about $40 each and I did see them myself to confirm. They weren't A grade fish by any means, pattern was borderline not-lightning maroon. I'm guessing they're getting B or C stock so that the fish aren't culled. They had some A+ goldflake maroons in the same store though, some of the best patterned and healthiest ones I've seen.

The overall husbandry in the store and almost every petco I've been into (with a few exceptions) was so poor that I wouldn't have taken a fish from them for free. I ended up walking out when I saw a tank with 2 very nice discus in it cowering in a corner with a half dozen angel fish and another half dozen oscars in the same tank. Almost every tank was covered in algae, completely inappropriate stocking holding tanks, employees just standing around doing nothing. Most of these stores are a disservice to this hobby and just invite industry regulation when people see how poorly their tanks are kept...

A local one here had a pair of lightning maroons for about $40 each and I did see them myself to confirm. They weren't A grade fish by any means, pattern was borderline not-lightning maroon. I'm guessing they're getting B or C stock so that the fish aren't culled. They had some A+ goldflake maroons in the same store though, some of the best patterned and healthiest ones I've seen.

The overall husbandry in the store and almost every petco I've been into (with a few exceptions) was so poor that I wouldn't have taken a fish from them for free. I ended up walking out when I saw a tank with 2 very nice discus in it cowering in a corner with a half dozen angel fish and another half dozen oscars in the same tank. Almost every tank was covered in algae, completely inappropriate stocking holding tanks, employees just standing around doing nothing. Most of these stores are a disservice to this hobby and just invite industry regulation when people see how poorly their tanks are kept...

Petco should not carry Discus at all. I raised discus before and they need heavy feeding and daily water changes. Even most LFS should not carry them.

Petco should not carry Discus at all. I raised discus before and they need heavy feeding and daily water changes. Even most LFS should not carry them.

Yeah, I stopped keeping them myself about 8 year ago now. Unless you can automate water changes with treated aged water, they're way more work than a reef tank IMO, which can be mostly automated and you aren't needing 100%+ water turnover per week, or every other day or less with juveniles. SImply crazy how much water I was changing to keep them healthy.

Yeah, I stopped keeping them myself about 8 year ago now. Unless you can automate water changes with treated aged water, they're way more work than a reef tank IMO, which can be mostly automated and you aren't needing 100%+ water turnover per week, or every other day or less with juveniles. SImply crazy how much water I was changing to keep them healthy.

I use to do 90% daily with aged water. They were the most beautiful fish you will every see.

Sea_Of_Treachery

So I stopped into my local deathco yesterday for an ammonia test kit and realized they finally had saltwater fish. The selection was insane. All types of fairy wrasses for $20. They had about 5 indigo dottybacks in the same tank but they were destroying each other as they are aggressive. Also had a blue throat trigger for $45. Insane....

I think I lost one that really sucks I think it chocked on a big peace of frozen food because both of them where eating so well. Now I guess I'm going to gamble and get another one and hopefully they pair up. Totally bumming.

I think lost one that really sucks I think it chocked on a big price of frozen food because both of them where eating very well. Now I guess I'm going to gamble and get another one and hopefully they pair up. Totally bumming.

That stinks sorry for your loss :(
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived