Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tiny snails

hophead

Kind of look like sundial snails that eat zoanthids.

Looks like stomatella snails

Reef safe!!!

Definitely not Stomatellas.

Tough to tell from the pic. Sure do look like baby colonista by the shell patterns, though.

same as sundials aren't they?

Yeah, the ridged shells and 'checkered' pattern mean sundial snails. Bad stuff.

If they were somewhat checkered with smooth shells and a bit larger, I'd say collonista. But alas...

Good luck.

Look kinda like colonista snails. I had lots for a while now they are all gone.

I'd look up both on google abd see the shell pattern to match to yours

Definitely not sundials. I have a bunch in my tank that look like the ones in OP's pictures and they never bother my zoas.

How big do yours get, and are the shells smooth or ridged like OP's? My Nuvo 16 was blessed with a ton of collonistas.

And to OP: Did you happen to pull out tiny ones out of all you had, or are they all this size or smaller? They're pretty round, so I want to tell you that you have collonistas, but who knows - you could even have both in your tank. Check it out:

Collonista looking smooth, from this article:

image019.jpgimage021.jpg

Sundial looking vicious:

sundial.jpg

pest_snail_sundial_1.jpg

AlejandroDelRey

How big do yours get, and are the shells smooth or ridged like OP's? My Nuvo 16 was blessed with a ton of collonistas.

The biggest they get is as big as the one in OP's. I think they might be smooth shelled, but I'm also blind as hell haha.

I know I see an abundance of them on the LR if I flash my flashlight on after the lights go out.

Kind of look like sundial snails that eat zoanthids.

Definitely not Stomatellas.

same as sundials aren't they?

No. Big difference. Sundials are zoa predators. Colonistas are film algae grazers.

I could type out a long post describing the diff. Just see the pics posted to make it faster and easier on all.

Archived