Pod Your Reef

♥♥ Avianette's Goby/Pistol Fluval Edge ♥♥

Avianette

12.2.16: My tank currently

Overall Look~

Hi all! Over the past couple of months, I have been helping my friend set-up her new saltwater aquarium (not that I have done it before, was just set on being a marine biologist as a kid haha), and have since decided on having one of my own! She has a beautiful drop-off reef 20 gal tank from IM, but I am aiming for a smaller set-up for my humble apartment~

I am fully prepared to patiently allow my future tank to cycle, allow the tank to stabilize before adding livestock, and do proper research throughout the whole process!

Initially, I'm hoping only for 1 or 2 goby/pistol pairs and clean up crew. For corals, I'd like to wait a while and see if I can maintain a mostly FOWLR tank first.

Here's a list of supplies I was planning to purchase, and I would love any tips if you feel my research is wrong :P

• Tank: Fluval Edge 12 gallon - $162
    • I know this is a hard beginner tank, but I'm perfectly willing to take my time to do things right!
  • Lighting: Stock for now, will change for corals in future
  • Heater: 75w Neotherm Heater - $38
  • Thermometer: AODE® (2-Pack, Black) Digital LCD Fish Tank Aquarium Thermometer 600009 -$38
  • Powerhead: Koralia Nano 240 x2 - $44.50
    • I won't be adding corals for a while, but would like a good powerhead that is versatile, provide good circulation, and can be used for corals preferably? :lol:
  • Jungle TK301W Quick Dip Ammonia Test Strips, 25-Pack - $6
  • API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips - $9
  • Media bags x3 - $7
  • Marineland PA0371 Black Diamond Activated Carbon, 10-Ounce, 283-Gram - $6
  • Boyd Enterprises ABE16705 Chemipure Filter Media for Aquarium, 10-Ounce - $10
  • Gulfstream Tropical AGU00035A Mag-Float Acrylic Aquarium Cleaner, Small - $9
    • Received from a friend so ended up being FREEE
  • Fluval EDGE Gravel Cleaner, 15-inch Intake Tube
  • Skimmer: None
    • Will be performing regular water changes
    • Willing to incorporate a skimmer if general consensus recommends so, or else I can add one when I plan to add more livestock
  • Livestock
    • 1 or 2 Yasha hase gobies
    • 1 or 2 randall's pistol shrimp
    • Will try to find some that are already paired, and actually, i need to do more research about how many of the same species i can keep in a tank omgomgomg
    • I watched some at my LFS, and I would love to have some because they tend to hide. Introverts like me :flower:
    • Not looking to add any swimmers any time soon~~
    • Not sure for CUC! Any suggestions? :)

Again, would truly appreciate any feedback, comments, or opinions! ♥♥

RIP Sebastian

Hi all! Over the past couple of months, I have been helping my friend set-up her new saltwater aquarium (not that I have done it before, was just set on being a marine biologist as a kid haha), and have since decided on having one of my own! She has a beautiful drop-off reef 20 gal tank from IM, but I am aiming for a smaller set-up for my humble apartment~

I am fully prepared to patiently allow my future tank to cycle, allow the tank to stabilize before adding livestock, and do proper research throughout the whole process!

Initially, I'm hoping only for 1 or 2 goby/pistol pairs and clean up crew. For corals, I'd like to wait a while and see if I can maintain a mostly FOWLR tank first.

Here's a list of supplies I was planning to purchase, and I would love any tips if you feel my research is wrong :P

• Tank: Fluval Edge 12 gallon $155-$220(6g for $100 - $132, only if the wider length will benefit the livestock vs. 12g)
    • I know this is a hard beginner tank, but I'm perfectly willing to take my time to do things right!
  • Lighting: Stock for now, will change for corals in future
  • Heater: 50w or 100w Aqueon Compact Preset heater $10-$15
    • Has an automatic shut off when at the right temp
    • Not sure which wattage to get for a 12 gallon since there's no in between :o
  • Thermometer: Digital (haven't chosen a specific brand) $4-$12
  • Powerhead: Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 Circulation Pump with Magnet Mount, 180 GPH or Koralia Nano 280 (or both) $20-$25
    • I won't be adding corals for a while, but would like a good powerhead that is versatile, provide good circulation, and can be used for corals preferably? :lol:
    • The Pico Evo is a magnetic one, so I think it can preserve the look of the stock tank, but don't want to compromise on tank health!
  • Skimmer: None
    • Will be performing regular water changes
    • Willing to incorporate a skimmer if general consensus recommends so, or else I can add one when I plan to add more livestock
  • Livestock
    • 1 or 2 Yasha hase gobies
    • 1 or 2 randall's pistol shrimp
    • Will try to find some that are already paired, and actually, i need to do more research about how many of the same species i can keep in a tank omgomgomg
    • I watched some at my LFS, and I would love to have some because they tend to hide. Introverts like me :flower:
    • Not looking to add any swimmers any time soon~~
    • Not sure for CUC! Any suggestions? :)

Again, would truly appreciate any feedback, comments, or opinions! ♥♥

:welcome:

It sounds like you have done your research and for that I applaud you. :)

May I suggest that you get the 13.5 gallon instead of the Edge? Ninja has one that is beautiful. It has a ton more access space, too. Otherwise, get the MarinePac III from Saltwater Conversion- great light, great equipment, instantly reef-ready (skimmer, circ pump, everything you need, really). Every once in a while on the LiveAquaria Diver's Den you'll see a bonded pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp. Keep an eye out and you'll find one.

Good luck!

Nick

Sounds like you have a good plan on gaining ezperience without getting in over your head. Pistol shrimp/goby pairs are fascinating and you will really enjoy that.

Maybe some trocus snails since they are good algae removers and not as likely to climb out of the tank.

Good advice, and ok plan.... Really, a different tank would be a lot better. Not just for access, but for gas exchange and ph, as well.

As for a yasha and pistol. No need to buy them together. Even if they don't find each other right away. In such a small tank, they'll do it within a week, or two.

:welcome:

It sounds like you have done your research and for that I applaud you. :)

May I suggest that you get the 13.5 gallon instead of the Edge? Ninja has one that is beautiful. It has a ton more access space, too. Otherwise, get the MarinePac III from Saltwater Conversion- great light, great equipment, instantly reef-ready (skimmer, circ pump, everything you need, really). Every once in a while on the LiveAquaria Diver's Den you'll see a bonded pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp. Keep an eye out and you'll find one.

Good luck!

Nick

Hi Nick!

Thank you so much :) I'm excited to be a part of this community! Thank you for the recommendation, I've opened Ninja's thread on the 13.5 Fluval Evo, and I like the look of that one too, so I'll be sure to consider! As for the Marine - Pac III, besides the hefty price tag (phew!), it seems to be out of stock until dec as well :/ I'll do a little more search on the tanks since I know that Edges are difficult haha

Sounds like you have a good plan on gaining ezperience without getting in over your head. Pistol shrimp/goby pairs are fascinating and you will really enjoy that.

Maybe some trocus snails since they are good algae removers and not as likely to climb out of the tank.

Hi! I'm definitely looking not to rush haha, thank you for the CUC suggestion! Will do plenty of research tomorrow on those snails B)

Good advice, and ok plan.... Really, a different tank would be a lot better. Not just for access, but for gas exchange and ph, as well.

As for a yasha and pistol. No need to buy them together. Even if they don't find each other right away. In such a small tank, they'll do it within a week, or two.

Hi! I took that into consideration as well, and I realize it's hard, but I can't help but be fascinated by the challenge! However, as per RIP Sebastian's suggestion, I'll keep looking at other tanks as well! ☺

That's good to hear about the yasha/pistol! Less for me to worry about :rolleyes:

My vote goes for the 13.5 gal sea evo as well.

It really will make your life a ton easier.

Other than that, I think you have a great start!

RIP Sebastian

Hi Nick!

Thank you so much :) I'm excited to be a part of this community! Thank you for the recommendation, I've opened Ninja's thread on the 13.5 Fluval Evo, and I like the look of that one too, so I'll be sure to consider! As for the Marine - Pac III, besides the hefty price tag (phew!), it seems to be out of stock until dec as well :/ I'll do a little more search on the tanks since I know that Edges are difficult haha

Hi! I'm definitely looking not to rush haha, thank you for the CUC suggestion! Will do plenty of research tomorrow on those snails B)

Hi! I took that into consideration as well, and I realize it's hard, but I can't help but be fascinated by the challenge! However, as per RIP Sebastian's suggestion, I'll keep looking at other tanks as well! ☺

That's good to hear about the yasha/pistol! Less for me to worry about :rolleyes:

That or an IM 10. Choose your own equipment, ton of people have them, cheaper then the Edge or Evo. Pick up things you need off of the Hardware Classifieds!

Nick

I'm so torn since most people are so against the Edge...but I think I'm very much up for the challenge and upkeep! I decided today, after talking to a new LFS an hour out (who also recommended against the Edge ;-;), to go with the 12 gallon! I'll be sure to post here my progress, as well on the Fluval edge tank thread :lol:

For sand, I'm thinking of the CaribSea Arag Alive Pink bimini sand, since it seems to have a nice mixture of fine sand and course rubble for my future shrimp. Any thoughts?? Also, I seem to see a lot of negative opinions on crushed coral, will need to search on that.

I'm also collecting all my other supplies at the moment, those listed and not :wub: I'll update the first post with what I'm going to buy! Can't wait for the tank to get here so I can accurately decide a space in my house for it and to purchase a stand.

RIP Sebastian

I'm so torn since most people are so against the Edge...but I think I'm very much up for the challenge and upkeep! I decided today, after talking to a new LFS an hour out (who also recommended against the Edge ;-;), to go with the 12 gallon! I'll be sure to post here my progress, as well on the Fluval edge tank thread :lol:

For sand, I'm thinking of the CaribSea Arag Alive Pink bimini sand, since it seems to have a nice mixture of fine sand and course rubble for my future shrimp. Any thoughts?? Also, I seem to see a lot of negative opinions on crushed coral, will need to search on that.

I'm also collecting all my other supplies at the moment, those listed and not :wub: I'll update the first post with what I'm going to buy! Can't wait for the tank to get here so I can accurately decide a space in my house for it and to purchase a stand.

Can I ask why you want the Edge? It'll be a pain in the ass to do anything- including aquascaping.

She likes it. Hell, I like it, too. Visually, it's a fantastic looking tank. If its flaws weren't so apperent, I'd have bought one years ago.

I think they look good too!

Just have heard enough people struggle with them because of the inherent flaws in their design.

Looking forward to see how you tackle the challenge. Something tells me you will do a good job of it.;)

Can I ask why you want the Edge? It'll be a pain in the ass to do anything- including aquascaping.

Mainly I like the design of the tank itself, but I was also fascinated by people's projects to convert from fresh to marine. I definitely think that if I didn't enjoy the challenge, I'll fail with this tank for sure! But I'm confident that as long as I have the patience and a sense of responsibility to the tank, I'll be successful :) And I'm fully aware that if I do fail, I'll have to eat my words and admit defeat hahaha

She likes it. Hell, I like it, too. Visually, it's a fantastic looking tank. If its flaws weren't so apperent, I'd have bought one years ago.

Thank you for the support! I kind of wish that the top segment of the edge was detachable by a hinge or something cause then I'm sure more people would be enjoy this tank with ease instead of struggle haha

I think they look good too!

Just have heard enough people struggle with them because of the inherent flaws in their design.

Looking forward to see how you tackle the challenge.

Something tells me you will do a good job of it.;)

Thank you so much! I'm so excited for everything to arrive! The tank is coming in a week or 2, along with other supplies ^^ I'm so glad other edgers are posting their process online so the task of conversion will be that much easier!

• 4 weeks later...

(Pics being added now!)

Hi all~ Long time, no posting :P I actually received my tank a couple of weeks ago, but had to wait forever for my sand to get in :rolleyes:

I was able to set up my Fluval Edge 12g on 11/30, with my 75w Neo Therm heater, two 240 Koralia Nanos, 20 lbs Bimini Pink Arag-Alive Sand, live rock (I'm sorry I lost the receipt showing the poundage), stock filter with Chemi-pure and activated carbon, and cycled water from my LFS.

First Time Adding the Live Sand!

Cycling the Water!

A Much Clearer Tank!

The next day, I went back to my LFS and bought a few more piece of LR to fill out my aquascape and I love how everything turned out! I'm leaving at is since I want to add corals (with the right prep) in the future~

Overall Look~

A Close-Up of the New Rockscape

I love this piece ♥

Gorgeous Sand...

Parameters as of last night (Day 3):

• Ammonia: Ideal (I'll need to purchase a different test to get more accurate results I think!)
  • Nitrites: 0.5
  • Nitrates: 40
  • pH: 7.5
  • Temp: 78.9
  • Salinity: 1.025

I am keeping a handwritten daily log of my tank, and would love any advice to spot signs of a good cycling! :happydance:

1 piece of very important advice when setting up a tank for pistol shrimps, make sure the rock is on the bottom of the tank on the glass. These little guys dig and dig and dig, it's all they do. If you don't put the rock down where they can't tunnel under it you risk the rocks crashing through the bottom of the tank. I have 6 different shrimp gobies and 4 different pistol shrimp right now, they're probably my favorite critters in the reef world.

Sarge and Digger Dan

all in the same tank? what size tank? I currently have a goby and shrimp in a 4.2 and was told not to add a second pair

1 piece of very important advice when setting up a tank for pistol shrimps, make sure the rock is on the bottom of the tank on the glass. These little guys dig and dig and dig, it's all they do. If you don't put the rock down where they can't tunnel under it you risk the rocks crashing through the bottom of the tank. I have 6 different shrimp gobies and 4 different pistol shrimp right now, they're probably my favorite critters in the reef world.

Sarge and Digger Dan

Why not remove the chemipure during the cycle? If you are going for a soft cycle, then sure, leave it in and change the water every day or two. If you are going the hard cycle route, that filter media will be exhausted really quickly.

all in the same tank? what size tank? I currently have a goby and shrimp in a 4.2 and was told not to add a second pair

Nope, all in different tanks. The Tigers, Reds and Yellows would kill and eat the little Randall's shrimp. And gobies are vicious little buggers in their own right. The red and yellows would probably kill the Tigers given 1/2 a chance, one of my Sri Lankan yellows is probably 3".

Why not remove the chemipure during the cycle? If you are going for a soft cycle, then sure, leave it in and change the water every day or two. If you are going the hard cycle route, that filter media will be exhausted really quickly.

Oh I'm not really sure what soft and hard cycling is :o I tried researching, and all I got was that the hard cycle has a more intense ammonia cycle?? Would you mind explaining for me? :)

Well, no, I don't mind. It's kinda late to change what you are going for in the cycle, though.

Before I give you a quick primer, I'd like to explain where I use either. I tend to save a soft cycle for fresher rock I don't see a use in going through the effort on rock that sat on a beach for 4 days before being shipped out.

Really quick and dirty cycle description.

Soft cycle. An attempt to save as much life on the rock as possible. That is both micro ( bacteria and whatnot) and macro ( any corals or critters residing on or in). In a soft cycle, you'll be changing water and actively filtering water in order to keep ammonia (and other toxins) levels down to 0 or near 0.

Hard cycle. Just add rock to your tank and wait. Don't bother changing the water or actively filter it until ammonia land nitrite levels drop to 0.

If Yasha gobies are what you're looking for, I would for sure keep an eye on Diver's Den. They've been selling lots of captive bred yasha gobies paired with pistol shrimps lately - sometimes it's even a pair of yashas paired with a pistol shrimp!

Well, no, I don't mind. It's kinda late to change what you are going for in the cycle, though.

Before I give you a quick primer, I'd like to explain where I use either. I tend to save a soft cycle for fresher rock I don't see a use in going through the effort on rock that sat on a beach for 4 days before being shipped out.

Really quick and dirty cycle description.

Soft cycle. An attempt to save as much life on the rock as possible. That is both micro ( bacteria and whatnot) and macro ( any corals or critters residing on or in). In a soft cycle, you'll be changing water and actively filtering water in order to keep ammonia (and other toxins) levels down to 0 or near 0.

Hard cycle. Just add rock to your tank and wait. Don't bother changing the water or actively filter it until ammonia land nitrite levels drop to 0.

Thanks so much for the info! So, since I've been filtering since day one, with cured live rock and live aragonite sand, could I say I'm soft cycling? I don't have any creatures coming off of my rock that I see :o Except maaaaaybe some small feather dusters, but I'm not entirely sure.

If Yasha gobies are what you're looking for, I would for sure keep an eye on Diver's Den. They've been selling lots of captive bred yasha gobies paired with pistol shrimps lately - sometimes it's even a pair of yashas paired with a pistol shrimp!

Thanks for the tip! If my local LFS isn't able to get a pair with a randall's about the time when I need them, I'll definitely take a look at Diver's Den ^^

♥Tank Update♥

Today is day 11~~! Woo! :P My water parameters have been pretty consistent:

• Specific Gravity: 1.025
  • pH: 7.5 - 8.0 (hard to tell with this test strip)
  • Ammonia: "Ideal"
  • Nitrites: 0
  • Nitrates: 20
  • Temp: 78.8-78.9

I am very happy with my tank health! I do however want more accurate test products, so if there are any recommendations, I'd love to hear them ^^ I'm currently using a 5-in-1 Test strip from API, and an ammonia test strip from Jungle.

Now, here is where I must confess something. I have broken a cardinal rule of cycling :( Let me back up a bit~ 2-3 months ago, when my friend first started her nano reef, she was told to take 2 damsels, 3 days into her cycle because she was using their cycled water (with added live sand and live rock) and wouldn't need to go through a formal cycle. Now that I know more about the marine tank hobby, I question the validity of that advice, but luckily both damsels survived. HOWEVER, the larger damsel began torturing the smaller one. She had to trap and quarantine the larger one and was planning to return her to our LFS.

I couldn't stand the thought of her being resold as a "starter fish" again, so I decided to take her into my tank since my parameters were so good >.< I feel really guilty for this, but she is thriving in my tank, and the parameters are still the same! I also started my tank with the LFS's cycled water, lots of live rock, and over 20 lbs of live sand. I attribute my good parameters to that, plus my powerheads and filtration.

I named her Pluto, and I plan to keep her and work my tankmates around her. If I have to change the rockscape to help with her aggression I will. I hope no one will judge me too harshly, as I fully understand what adding a damsel first can mean, and hope anyone could give me good advice <3 I just didn't want her life to be reduced to a life of a tool :unsure:

If you started with cured live rock, as you said, you'll be fine.

Good luck with the damsel. They can be absolute nightmares. I don't really advise any other fish with them besides some type of goby or blenny.

As for test kits. I have always used API (not the strips, they are awful) for the basic stuff. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph. Once you are ready, I've always been partial to salifert for things like phosphate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

If you started with cured live rock, as you said, you'll be fine.

Good luck with the damsel. They can be absolute nightmares. I don't really advise any other fish with them besides some type of goby or blenny.

As for test kits. I have always used API (not the strips, they are awful) for the basic stuff. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph. Once you are ready, I've always been partial to salifert for things like phosphate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

She was only planning on a goby/pistol shrimp duo or trio anyways, from what I understand, so it should probably work okay. That being said, you could always look for a different permanent home for the damsel. If you're doing it personally, say through a local reef club, you can screen potential buyers to make sure the fish goes home with a responsible owner.

And if your ammonia and nitrites are staying at 0, I wouldn't worry too much about the damsel's safety. 20 ppm is pretty high for nitrates, though. If you didn't have fish yet those levels wouldn't be a problem, but since you do, I'd say you need to do a water change for the fish's sake.

And yeah, you should look into getting the liquid API test kits. Everything I've heard about test strips says that they are horribly inaccurate. The nice thing is that you can a basic set of the tests you will need for cycling all bundled together - the API Saltwater Master Test Kit has pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate tests (liquid, of course), and at just $25-$30, depending on where you buy it, it's a pretty sweet deal! The only basic parameter it doesn't include is phosphate, but that doesn't really become relevant until your cycle is over, anyways.

Archived