Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Nano tank

Blaster30

What's up guys. So, this is my first tank since 9th grade marine biology project.

I found a slightly used Biocube 14 and I upgraded the power head to a MJ900 from Cobalt Aquatics and added a Koralia Nano 240. I added live sand and water for a week, and just added live rock last night. 10/17/2016

post-92485-0-85653300-1476803220_thumb.jpg
What should I do next? Add reef pods or a couple of fish? The guy at my lfs said the tank would cycle in 4 days, is this correct?

post-92485-0-85653300-1476803220_thumb.jpg

RIP Sebastian

What's up guys. So, this is my first tank since 9th grade marine biology project.

I found a slightly used Biocube 14 and I upgraded the power head to a MJ900 from Cobalt Aquatics and added a Koralia Nano 240. I added live sand and water for a week, and just added live rock last night. 10/17/2016

What should I do next? Add reef pods or a couple of fish? The guy at my lfs said the tank would cycle in 4 days, is this correct?

:welcome:

Do you know what a cycle is? Because that's very basic information and if you don't know that it will take upwards of three weeks, I don't think you are knowledgeable to own an aquarium. The cycle is to build up the population of beneficial bacteria in the tank. You need to be adding pure ammonia to the tank and testing and adding accordingly. You need to do more research before you even think about adding anything to that tank. Don't mean to be rude, just realistic.

Nick

Lol RIP Sebastian,

First things first just do some quick searches, or better yet buy a good saltwater book. Information is key to a successful tank.

Speaking of, you haven't identified what type of tank you are planning on running.

Most people on this forum build reef tanks, however you could always do a small fowlr, (fish only with live rock).

Also nick said you need to be adding pure ammonia to your tank. That's just not true. Lots of people run prime or even just toss in a small dead shrimp. But the idea is to build up that marine bacteria.

4 days is questionable at best. Live sand doesn't do sh*t for you. As for the live rock. I'd give it another week. But remember, you have to feed the bacteria in that time.

Get some test kits. Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And after your tank has finished it's final cycle, (it may cycle more than once) then you can add fish.

Hope that helps.

Personally, I always do the pure ammonia when starting a tank. It's "cleaner". I like being precise. I can tell exactly whats going on, because I know the amount going in.

And, please, don't rely on water conditioners like prime to support your tank. A lot of us use prime (myself included) but that's for things like managing a hospital tank or another emergency situation requiring fish being moved to an uncycled tank. Since you have time, it is best to be patient and ensure good biological filtration.

Since you added liverock, theoretically you should be good to go. It should already have good bacteria for filtration, but thats only in theory if its been handled properly. I would still add pure ammonia and test for another few weeks before purchasing fish. I don't like wasting life or money.

There are lots of biocubes on here, so I would also search around nano reef using the search function and see what others have done/are doing with their tank. It sounds like to me you should do a lot of research as far as what's going in there.

Make a plan. Do you know what you want to keep? Fish? Inverts? Coral? Macroalgae? Your equipment (lighting mainly) is going to be a big factor. Since you're new, I would also look up filtration. Are you going more mechanical vs natural? Once again, looking at other biocubes will give you ideas of what to do.

"What should I do next" is a rather vague question :P I think you should do more research, add ammonia to ensure a cycle (whether its pure or through a shrimp or fish food) and test, and do more research. While researching, you're tank should be cycling, and hopefully by the end of two or three weeks when the tank is ready for inhabitants, you'll be armed with knowledge to have a good chance at a successful first go.

And rule #1 of keeping tanks: Don't trust the guys at the LFS :P So you're already off to a good start by asking here.

Sorry if my post is convoluted. I'm typing this while managing a stubborn 2 year old refusing to take a nap.

Archived