Pod Your Reef

Lid Options

SubMariner0805

SubMariner0805

Hey everyone,

I recently had my clownfish commit suicide by jumping out of my tank :-( I really wanted to make the whole no lid thing work but after this I've decided the aesthetics are not worth the inhabitants safety.

I have the IM Fusion 10. I don't particularly like the one it comes with although I am not opposed to using it. However, I have added a universal surface skimmer (http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/inTank-Universal-Surface-Skimmer-M90SS.htm) which allows me to keep a higher water level in the display but now the stock mesh screen lid doesn't fit.

What are my options for lids? It would have to be custom. I am thinking about attempting to cut the stock lid. Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks everyone!

I haven't seen anyone with a lid on the rimless tanks. By enclosing it completely gas exchange may be effected and it will effect lighting.

Why do you use the surface skimmer? I have the same tank and have no issues with the water surface. I use the spin stream nozzle and surface is spotless.

You could get eggcrate and cut it to size but the mesh screen looks better.

SubMariner0805

I wasn't going to go with a lid for looks but I don't want to lose any more fish.

I hated the way the display tank looked with the water level so low. The surface skimmer allows me to raise my display tank level to about 1/2 inch from the top while also keeping the back chambers at the appropriate levels.

Cencalfishguy56

I wasn't going to go with a lid for looks but I don't want to lose any more fish.

I hated the way the display tank looked with the water level so low. The surface skimmer allows me to raise my display tank level to about 1/2 inch from the top while also keeping the back chambers at the appropriate levels.

hit up cromag09 he made mine and had it done and shipped within 3 days
  • 3 years later...
On 10/18/2016 at 9:46 PM, SubMariner0805 said:

Will do! Thanks

Did you ever get a new lid?  I'm having the exact issue you had.  Don't want to use a lid, but i got jumpers so kinda stuck with it.  Thinking about spray painting the mesh black to make it blend a bit better, but still.  The surface skimmers make the stock lid unusable.  

You figure out a solution?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Bells>Waimea said:

Did you ever get a new lid?  I'm having the exact issue you had.  Don't want to use a lid, but i got jumpers so kinda stuck with it.  Thinking about spray painting the mesh black to make it blend a bit better, but still.  The surface skimmers make the stock lid unusable.  

You figure out a solution?

You are replying to a thread from 3 years ago...

• Haha 2