Coral Vue Hydros

$$ Gem Tang $$

krusing93

Whats up and happy Monday everyone!!

My LFS has had this guy for several months now and overtime I walk in I check him out for about 5min. Yes, he is a Gem Tang and my LFS thinks he's worth a small fortune... Good god I could never invest that much money in a fish or I would be single....

Check him out and let me know what you guy think!

Check that price tag out lol

fingerscrossedfingerscrossedfingerscrossed

B)

post-91150-0-78755300-1476720453_thumb.jpg

post-91150-0-53930000-1476720627_thumb.jpg

post-91150-0-85200100-1476720765_thumb.jpg

One of my clients offered one to me as a gift one time. I asked her not to put anything into her tank without running it by me if I was going to take care of her tank, but alas, I arrived one day to find 6 or 7 gem tangs. I declined her offer as I didn't want to be beholden to her. I ended up dropping her because the trend of her randomly throwing stuff in the tank continued.

One of my clients offered one to me as a gift one time. I asked her not to put anything into her tank without running it by me if I was going to take care of her tank, but alas, I arrived one day to find 6 or 7 gem tangs. I declined her offer as I didn't want to be beholden to her. I ended up dropping her because the trend of her randomly throwing stuff in the tank continued.

Jesus.... how much did she pay for that Tangs...

They are expensive but that price is just a bit over the top to me......one of my local stores had one and it sold for 1000.00 I think. Beautiful fish but just a bit much to find carpet surfing or a hermit crab treat......

Agreed I think anything over $500-$750 going in the tank that isn't equipment and guaranteed/warranted is just ridiculous IMO ...

ReefSafeSolutions

I just met someone who said they have a friend who paid $4k down here in the San Diego area. Ridiculous. I'm happy with my $10 clowns.

I just met someone who said they have a friend who paid $4k down here in the San Diego area. Ridiculous. I'm happy with my $10 clowns.

Yeah no thank you! My entire setup hasn't cost me 1K! Obviously I am running a 5 gallon but still I could never bring myself to buy that and have the potential issue of it getting itch or just plane on dying after a couple years ...

I got to see 8 in a LFS in London.

Also that tang is around $1500 overpriced, the going for gems has lowered quite a bit. The only ones worth 3k are the tiniest ones that never come to the US anyways.

Damn. The over priced lfs near me has one for $2400. I had the opportunity to get one for $1000 (about 4") a few months back but declined. I don't have a tank big enough and honestly I am not a fan. Now come at me with a flathead perch at that price and I will snap it up without a second thought.

Yup crazy expensive and I honestly would prefer a regular old yellow tang cause I think it adds way more color and livelihood to the tank... Just my opinion but not shot I will ever own one of these unless the price drops by 1000%

Damn. The over priced lfs near me has one for $2400. I had the opportunity to get one for $1000 (about 4") a few months back but declined. I don't have a tank big enough and honestly I am not a fan. Now come at me with a flathead perch at that price and I will snap it up without a second thought.

The last flatheads I saw in the US were either 3 or 5k each IIRC, and at that price they're a ripoff considering how regular they look. At that price I'd rather have a species tank or some super deep water fish.

If I found a pair of flathead perch for a decent price it would be a species only nps tank. I would only do it for the rarity and challenge though.

saw one at a local shop not to long ago in the high 3k range. Wonder if that's the one your friend picked up?

Got to see 8 at a store in London, nothing like bristletooths. They aren't that pretty but they are insanely cool and rare, same goes for a lot of rarer fish really.

ReefSafeSolutions

saw one at a local shop not to long ago in the high 3k range. Wonder if that's the one your friend picked up?

Might be...what shop was that at? (I also don't personally know the person who bought it...some lady came over to buy some zoas and wouldn't leave, kept talking about all these "cute fish" <_< )

• 3 weeks later...

Barrier Reef in Boca? Typical pricing for them.... They overprice just about anything.... $10 frags of hair algae is basically what they sell in their "Special's Tank" never going back because i went in with five 5-gallon jugs to get saltwater and there was maybe 0.1 gallons of water in the bottom of one and they charged me $10 extra as a "Service Fee" to empty the water... Don't get me wrong, their display tank is beautiful, but thats about all going for that store.

Might be...what shop was that at? (I also don't personally know the person who bought it...some lady came over to buy some zoas and wouldn't leave, kept talking about all these "cute fish" <_< )

Aquatica. He now has a $1700 trunkfish. That guy always has at least one or two high dollar fish in his shop
ReefSafeSolutions

Aquatica. He now has a $1700 trunkfish. That guy always has at least one or two high dollar fish in his shop

Yep, that place is high end for sure. I've only been in there twice...it's way out of my price range. Any idea what's going on with Encinitas tropical? They told me they were moving to Carlsbad but haven't heard anything from them. Said they would open in November.

Archived