SaltCritters.com

Add 2nd clown to end 6 line wrasse aggression?

Silver92

So i got a six line wrasse a few weeks ago. Today i noticed that my clown has a few nips in his fins. I did see the wrasse chasing the clown when he got too close to him, but the wrasse will chase the clown for no good reason from time to time.

Would adding a second clown, so they can pair up, be a solution for the wrasse chasing him around?

Also im not sure if adding another fish to the tank would be a wise move, considering the size.

Current stock:

1 clown

1 yellow watchman goby

1 sixline wrasse.

1 cleaner shrimp

CUC consisting of 1 blue hermit, 2 scarlets and a few snails.

Tank size is 21G, with skimmer.

Any advice is very welcome :)

Thanks!

So IME adding another fish usually doesn't solve issues with aggression.

Pretty much all the fish in our tanks are territorial - some species and even specific individuals are just more aggressive about it.

Some ideas:

- try re-arranging the rock work in the tank. This can have the effect of "resetting" territories. It's not a surefire solution but sometimes it can help

- Feed smaller quantities more often.

- Observe very carefully and if it gets too bad you may have to remove one of the fish so that the clown can heal

- It could be that the sixline isn't compatible with your clown. You could try giving it to someone else and getting another sixline or a different fish altogether to see if you have better luck.

adding another clown to a tank that has an established clown could cause the clown to get harassed by the already established clown...could make matters worse... you would need to add a much smaller clown in order to not cause an aggressive response....however this clown is susceptible to harassment by the six line.... sooooo yeah no perfect scenario....

Archived