SaltCritters.com

DC'shallow 25: Drilling completed...

DCUEVAS74

So I kind of got sidetracked on my last build while looking at the forums. Saw someone with a vivarium and ran with it. It was a great experience making this viv with a custom background and misters. I have enjoyed the 5 Luecomelas I've had for a bout a year now but have missed interacting on these forums with everyone and following the threads for everyone's build. My wife and I have been playing around with some Sonys which I plan on using to capture the development of this reef.

1b.jpg2b.jpg

4b.jpg

I am just waiting on my custom stand to be finished, tank drilled and a bucket of Coral Pro to arrive to get things started. There's nothing like the arrival of boxes with new gear...

new.jpg

I was planning on using a RO Filter I had from a freshwater build. Does anyone know if this would be fine or do I need a DI as well?

The DI is what really brings the contaminants down to zero. RO is probably 3x as good as tap but depending on what you want to keep RO/DI units will probably be worth the investment.

The DI is what really brings the contaminants down to zero. RO is probably 3x as good as tap but depending on what you want to keep RO/DI units will probably be worth the investment.

Thanks. I guess I will be ordering an add on DI filter to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am not completely happy with the job I did drilling this one. I got some pretty good chips on both of them. I tried going as slow as possible but oh well. I will keep my fingers crossed when I put the overflow on. I have give props to jruberti for drilling his IM Nuvo Black. I'm really happy with not going with the AIO and just adding an overflow box. I'm excited about the amount of negative space this will allow once the rock is in.

881b5bb8-175c-46a9-ab8d-ce43968a47ec.jpg

Looking awesome! I just finished drilling my 25G and I also had a few chips. I picked up some clear DAP silicone, filled in the chips, and then instantly put on the bulkheads and let the silicone dry over night. Took the bulkheads off and the silicone had filled in all of the chips perfectly to give me a nice flush seal!

Looking awesome! I just finished drilling my 25G and I also had a few chips. I picked up some clear DAP silicone, filled in the chips, and then instantly put on the bulkheads and let the silicone dry over night. Took the bulkheads off and the silicone had filled in all of the chips perfectly to give me a nice flush seal!

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. I'm sure it will be fine. If not, then I will definitely give your solution a whirl. It's a great idea.

Well I am not completely happy with the job I did drilling this one. I got some pretty good chips on both of them. I tried going as slow as possible but oh well. I will keep my fingers crossed when I put the overflow on. I have give props to jruberti for drilling his IM Nuvo Black. I'm really happy with not going with the AIO and just adding an overflow box. I'm excited about the amount of negative space this will allow once the rock is in.

881b5bb8-175c-46a9-ab8d-ce43968a47ec.jpg

I haven't been able to drill a tank without any chipping at all, it seems it is always going to chip from my experience. I'm sure it's possible, but I've had others do the drilling for me and they also chipped, not as much as mine, but still chipped. Also, I've had people use a drill press, and the weight of the arm, was enough to drill the glass on its own, very little weight, but enough for it to do the job, still chipped.

I haven't been able to drill a tank without any chipping at all, it seems it is always going to chip from my experience. I'm sure it's possible, but I've had others do the drilling for me and they also chipped, not as much as mine, but still chipped. Also, I've had people use a drill press, and the weight of the arm, was enough to drill the glass on its own, very little weight, but enough for it to do the job, still chipped.

Thanks for chiming in. I would have to agree with you. I've only drilled two and both are chipped to some degree. The last one I did was with a drill press as well. Chipped just the same. These chips were much larger than those in the past. I just finished setting it up and so far no leaks!

Archived