ReefCleaners.org

Found a bucket O rocks

Pjanssen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would separate the live rock when dosing ammonia. You don't want to kill any (non-bacterial) beneficial life on the rock by introducing ammonia. Dosing ammonia (ammonium chloride) is only suitable to build up nitrifying bacteria on dry/dead rock.

Can't track down dr tims or any ammonium chloride in any lfs, so I either have to order it and it will be several days before I get it. I'm guessing it would not be recommended to use a shrimp?

I would avoid using shrimp or ghost feeding. While it will generate ammonia, it also adds organics and nutrients which can cause problems. But there is no need to rush, you can get it online.

I would avoid using shrimp or ghost feeding. While it will generate ammonia, it also adds organics and nutrients which can cause problems. But there is no need to rush, you can get it online.

Yea, that's what I was thinking too. just anxious to get it done, but i know patience is key. Any idea how to get an anemone to release from a hole in the rock?

Could I use something like this

IDK, I suppose that would work. I'd have no idea what dose use. You might have to experiment a little.

Any idea how to get an anemone to release from a hole in the rock?

IME, it's easiest to carefully break the rock. You can damage the anemone this way, but I've had good success. Once you get a crack in the rock (under the foot), you can sloooowly peel part of the rock away. I'm not really sure how to explain it.

IME, it's easiest to carefully break the rock. You can damage the anemone this way, but I've had good success. Once you get a crack in the rock (under the foot), you can sloooowly peel part of the rock away. I'm not really sure how to explain it.

I get it

Finally got my shipment of Ammonium Chloride. Had to go with Fritz ProAquatics, Dr. Tims seemed to be on b/o everywhere. Now trying to figure out the dosage for 2 1/2 gallons of water. From what I can tell, I have enough product to cycle over 11,000 gallons of water. I better start building!

Finally got my shipment of Ammonium Chloride. Had to go with Fritz ProAquatics, Dr. Tims seemed to be on b/o everywhere. Now trying to figure out the dosage for 2 1/2 gallons of water. From what I can tell, I have enough product to cycle over 11,000 gallons of water. I better start building!

LOL

So according to my math, I mixed a whopping .5 grams of ammonium chloride into 1 1/2 ounces (thats how big my shot glass is!) saltwater. I then added 1/2 ounce to my bucket of rocks with powerhead running to hopefully bring the ammonia up to 2 ppm. Will test in a little bit, then add bacteria.

So it was too much ammonium chloride- level measured above 8 ppm. Added fresh salt water to bucket and remeasured- still around 8. Dosed bacteria anyway. Will test again in the mirning

I'll change out water tomorrow. Fought with computer all night. It's all but dead. I'm beat and frustrated. Guess I have to buy a new computer tomorrow. So much for plans to buy a doser

ammonia reading this morning is still above 4, but definitely not 8 (Geeze, the colors are so close, it's ridiculous ). Changing out some water to bring it down. When I put the syphon hose in the water, I got a slight electric shock! I guess the pump is bad? When it rains it pours! Do you think it's okay to leave in there for the purpose of cycling rock? I just won't have time today to go buy a new pump.

How important is it to keep the water warm? I've been keeping the bucket outside while cycling, but our temperature is suppose to drop down into the 60s tonight. I don't have a spare heater, but I guess if I have to I can go pick one up from petco.

Archived