Coral Vue Hydros

Red Sea 130D questions--skimmer problem, floss, pump upgrades, back comp?

duganderson

I have a Red Sea 130D with custom LED hood. Have 4 small fish. I'm planning to add a Santa Monica Drop 1.2 Alage Scrubber soon. I had some questions please....

1. I'm not using my skimmer because it just makes micro bubbles and does not work. Any tips for how to fix this. I cleaned it a while ago and that did not help but I could try again?

2. How do you set up mechanical filtration for this tank?

3. One of my return pumps is not working. Should I replace it with a pump upgrade OR replace both with pump upgrade or just replace with stock pump. If upgrade, which pump do you recommend.

Thanks, Doug

I am not sure who offered it at the time but when I had my 130 I upgraded both pumps with aheim pumps that also dropped them down about 6 inches, this improved the micro bubble problem, and I installed an intank media basket as well. Come to think of it I also replaced the stock protein skimmer with a tunze one. I had also removed the hood and built a DIY led light. My biggest problem was heat, I don't cool my house below 80 in the summer and had to install a chiller and it ran almost continuously.

Bill

A lot of people upgraded the stock pumps to the ones sold on InTank. http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-130D_c38.htm

I do not use the Stock Skimmer on my RSM130. I purchased a Media basket that I can put GFO and Carbon in the middle section and on the top section I put some filter pad. the Nice thing about the Media Basket is that you can easily mount a Tunze skimmer in the back changer. I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer, they no longer sell these so you would need to find a used one or get the new 9001. I'm not sure how much a skimmer really adds to a tank of this size if you do normal water changes.

I know at some point Red Sea sold an single pump that replaced the two pumps. If I were to upgrade my pumps I would probably look into something like this, but I am happy with the upgrade kit from InTank.

I retrofitted my hood with a Radion G3 and have been supper happy with the system. I think you really like this tank with your custom LED's and a Media basket.

Kraig

Archived