SaltCritters.com

New to Nanos

jmitch7417

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums, and the nano reef life. I had a 70 gallon a few years back, and my daughter has talked me into getting a BC16. I have a few questions as far as stocking it. Hopefully, I can get some help with.

We are planning on doing a pair of clowns, and she would like to do one other fish of some sort. Can we manage this with the BC16? Also if we do can a cleaner shrimp be added into that mix as well? Also what does everyone run for a clean up crew in there setups?

We have sometime being we just set up today so we have at least 2 to 3 weeks of cycling to wait on.

Thanks everyone in advance

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

Yes, you could keep a pair of clownfish and another nano fish in that tank. Maybe a goby or firefish. Also yes to the shrimp; but they can be more sensitive, so I'd wait a bit.

Cleanup crews vary. A couple nassarius, trochus, cerith snails will work (and maybe a hermit crab) are all fairly typical.

fishfreak0114

:welcome:

I second what Seabass said, very sound advice. I personally love trochus snails because they nom lots of algae, don't bulldoze stuff, and they're cool and pointy lol. I really like blue leg hermits too, their squabbles are entertaining. I have a harlequin serpent star also, definitely interesting, but not sure how much it actually cleans up.

Thanks for the advice.

I was just doing a little research on the gobies. I plan on doing the clowns first, but I have some time to make a decision on the other still.

Watchman gob and pistol shrimp, or goby/firefish, and cleaner shrimp?

Add your most aggressive fish last (which will probably be the clownfish). If you are getting a firefish or goby, I'd add it first. Clownfish don't always swim around in small tanks, it would be nice to get a fish that swims out in the open (it might even encourage the clownfish to do the same). A firefish might do this better than a shrimp goby.

I 2nd what Seabass said. Add ur Clowns Last.

We have a single (largish) Clown in our 28 gal Tank.

She has become very territorial! I am going to return her this week and

get a Firefish :)

Definitely add the clowns last.

I have a 15g with 2 clowns only, I can't add another fish because the female clown has become very territorial...she attacks me and the skunk shrimp...anything that goes near her. She used to be very friendly until i got her a boyfriend and they hosted a frogspawn - now she's not nice.

A purple firefish would be a nice addition, its quite beautiful with a great personality. Gobies are cute but often sit in their homes rarely seen.

Definitely add the clowns last.

I have a 15g with 2 clowns only, I can't add another fish because the female clown has become very territorial...she attacks me and the skunk shrimp...anything that goes near her. She used to be very friendly until i got her a boyfriend and they hosted a frogspawn - now she's not nice.

A purple firefish would be a nice addition, its quite beautiful with a great personality. Gobies are cute but often sit in their homes rarely seen.

Agreed with the Purple Firefish! Very pretty!

Our LFS has a Helfrichi's!!! I'd like to pull the trigger and buy it, but, I'd rather wait before I spend that Money on a fish before I know for sure our Tank has Matured enough.

Not trying to Hijack the thread.

Regarding the Gobies, They are nice and can be fun to watch. Another Fish to consider, IMO, would be a Blenny.

We had a Bi-color. That fish was quite fun to watch as well.

I didn't know that the bc came in 16 gallons?I have a bc 14 and love it,I have a blue damsel and a red firefish,I looked at all my lfs for a purple one but nobody had one,so I took my second choice which was the red one,and it's very pretty too!

fishfreak0114

I didn't know that the bc came in 16 gallons?I have a bc 14 and love it,I have a blue damsel and a red firefish,I looked at all my lfs for a purple one but nobody had one,so I took my second choice which was the red one,and it's very pretty too!

The bc16 and 32 are the new LED models. Last I checked they were still on pre order up here in Canada. It's cool that people are starting to get them!

The bc16 and 32 are the new LED models. Last I checked they were still on pre order up here in Canada. It's cool that people are starting to get them!

wow I had no idea!

Helfrichi firefish is really expensive but very beautiful.

there is another purple firefish that isn't expensive but still a beauty.

Bicolor blenny has character. I had one with my clown,they were best buds.

The blenny was cool and very aware.

Yes indeed Clown.

Our LFS has the helfichi's for around 120, I think.

I am going to go with the Purple.

Blennies are very fun to watch :)

Archived